raw squash benefits

Hero

• 10 months later...

Summer squashes, like zucchini and Patty Pan, are easy to eat raw, but I just don't see the appeal in eating raw winter squashes. They seem like such dense foods that they would be hard to digest. And their flavor doesn't come out until they are cooked (pretty bland otherwise, I would imagine).

I love them. I eat them sliced like cucumbers or spiralize them like spaghetti noodles!

Me tooooooooo ~ yum yum!

Now if I can just figure out what to do with the mountain of other types of squash I keep getting from my CSA pick-up.

How about shredding/grating them to make a main salad, as toppings or fillings for raw rolls? Sometimes I slice other squashes and eat them like chips with (raw) dip or on its own =)

Kathryn, I've eaten the winter squashes (butternut, buttercup and acorn) raw and found them sweet. I never had a problem of digesting them ~ I just make sure to chew well =)

• 3 months later...

at this vegan thai restaurant i eat at a lot, the waitress gave my friend and me a special non menu desert last month. it was just warm coconut sweetened with palm suger (basically, coconut sugar) and kombocha squash. the weird thing was, the squash still had the peeling on it. but she cooked it so it was soft. she said she eats it that way all the time, but i happened to know she's on a raw diet. so i inquired. she said she uses the food processor to grat the squash (keeping the seeds separate) and then she makes salad out of it. she leaves the peeling on!! for texture, fiber, vitamins, etc.!!!!

so i guess you can do that. it will be a little bitter so you have to balance it out. some squash peels are harder than other, so just experiment with it.