So I'm wondering about "The Complete Vegan MRP"

Great nutritional profile and a good price, but good god, 500 mcg of B-12??! (that's 8333% of the RDA). This is a bit of a concern to me, as I don't want to overdose on the stuff! I know that people who workout all the time need a lot of B-12 since working out burns a lot of it but this seems like overkill. I mean, with such a great nutritional profile I'd like to take more than one serving of stuff like this per day but idk if that would work out with that b-12 content.

Here's a link to the nutrition facts.

http://www.vitacost.com/Pure-Advantage-Vegan-Complete-Meal-Replacement-with-Multi-GuarD#IngredientFacts

Man, if they just put less b-12 in it this would be damn near perfect.

I might just give Veganique a go after I save up some $$ (I don't want to unload my wallet on Vega)

Cubby is right but I bet its still not great. Like nearly every vitamin they're made in really high doses. I bet it has a lot to do with poor absorbency as well.

I say save your money on Veganique and just buy Veganaise...far tastier

The amount of B12 that can be absorbed will decrease significantly with an increasing dose. That is why weekly dosing is 2,000 mcgs and daily dosing is much less. There has been no evidence of negative side effects from high doses of vit B12.

When you see vitamins that are beyond and above the RDI, keep in mind that those are doses that keep the majority of the adult population from showing symptoms of vitamin or mineral deficiency. If you exercise, have stress, are exposed to toxins (in your water, air, etc.) or have a genetic condition (however mild or not) then your daily requirements for optimal health may be much higher.

As for value, I think this is an expensive powder. You can purchase a lb of protein powders and add your own flavorings, then take a multivitamin of your choice for much less - with you controlling the supplemented vitamins and minerals. Just a thought.

From veganhealth.org

To get the full benefit of a vegan diet, vegans should do one of the following:

Eat fortified foods two or three times a day to get at least three micrograms (mcg or mg) of B12 a day or

Take one B12 supplement daily providing at least 10 micrograms or

Take a weekly B12 supplement providing at least 2000 micrograms....

Taking a B12 supplement containing ten mcgs or more daily provides a similar absorbed amount to consuming one mcg on three occasions through the day. This may be the most economical method as a single high potency tablet can be consumed bit by bit. 2000 mcgs of B12 consumed once a week would also provide an adequate intake. Any B12 supplement tablet should be chewed or allowed to dissolve in the mouth to enhance absorption. Tablets should be kept in an opaque container. As with any supplement it is prudent not to take more than is required for maximum benefit, so intakes above 5000 mcg per week should be avoided despite lack of evidence for toxicity from higher amounts.

I guess a lot depends on how you plan to use the product. If you are replacing a few meals a week, I wouldn't worry at all about it. It may even give you a needed B12 boost if you're not already getting it. If you're planning to eat it three times a day, maybe reconsider.

PS If anyone has not read the B12 info on veganhealth.org, you really should, even if just to make an informed decision for yourself.

Just to chip in.

A few months ago my B12 levels were around 300 (normal is 200-1100) and my doc said I should try to raise that a bit. I started taking a separate B12 dot with my multi. It was concerning, but I was getting 15,000% my DV from supplements, not to mention another 200-300% my DV from fortified foods.

Going back a few weeks ago, my B12 levels had gone from 300 to 400, so my doc was a little happier.

Now I don't know much about the dangers of excess, but getting 17,000% a day for me only raised my levels 100 points over a 6 month period.

Frankly I would rather take 17K% a day and have a normal level, than take 5K% a day and be on the low end...

Frankly I would rather take 17K% a day and have a normal level, than take 5K% a day and be on the low end...

Absorption of B12 can vary significantly from one person to the next. It's not a phenomenon limited to vegans. Some people can't absorb it at all and require B12 shots on a regular basis. I have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery and now takes massive doses just to keep a normal level. Unfortunately, most vegans, myself included, have no idea what their levels are.

The good news is:

Vegans using adequate amounts of fortified foods or B12 supplements are much less likely to suffer from B12 deficiency than the typical meat eater. The Institute of Medicine, in setting the US recommended intakes for B12 makes this very clear. “Because 10 to 30 percent of older people may be unable to absorb naturally occurring vitamin B12, it is advisable for those older than 50 years to meet their RDA mainly by consuming foods fortified with vitamin B12 or a vitamin B12-containing supplement.â€