Problem area- for swimsuit season

Hello!

My question: How do I tighten the area right below the butt on the backside of the thighs? It seems to be my problem area.

I'm in good shape, 5'5'' 128 lbs. I run 4-6 times a week, 3-4 vigorious miles. I do push ups for strength training and occasionally lift 8 pound weights. Any ideas would be awesome! Cardio, strenth training, or diet.

Thanks

Stop doing 3-4 vigorous miles and make that 8 easy miles. You'll cut a lot more fat. Running hard or short periods of time does little for you and is bad for your body. Really you should be doing a mile warm up and close to a mile cool down...that means you'd only have a mile or two of training. You need to do much more but if you slow it down...it'll be even easier.

That's my problem area too. What I do is hamstring curls and deadlifts to tone the area. When I do cardio, I do it on an incline to target the area better. I also cleaned up my diet considerably by avoiding processed food as much as possible, eliminating anything refined (carbs, fat, sugar) and doing regular weight training.

also called split squats

i'm starting split squats in two weeks.

right now I squat 3x week as heavy as I can, 5x5 rep scheme. I'm gonna drop it to two squat workouts a week, and add a second leg exercise during the same session probably 3x8 reps.

I'll probably alternate split squats, lunges and front squats. I think thats what my legs need to grow.

Thanks for the advice. I started doing some bodyweight squats and lunges.

I used to run a lot more, around 6-10 miles. But I didn't see any difference except for a bigger appetite. However, I still like running in half-marathons and will run longer in the summer.

HIIT would be a lot of fun to try. I just joined a gym recently, new to the area. So I'll get to do some more weight training and other cardio other than running. Probably change up the diet a little too.

What about HIIT cardio...suppose to be effective on fat.

To a point yes...but nothing burns more fat than low intensity cardio done for extended periods of time.

What about HIIT cardio...suppose to be effective on fat.

To a point yes...but nothing burns more fat than low intensity cardio done for extended periods of time.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_5_20/ai_n6011850

http://cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

I say HIIT for the win. thats almost (key word, almost!) all I do. Read about that study, and theres more recent studies that show the same findings. I might dig them up when its not 3 AM

Either way, don't limit yourself to one or the other just because Stone Cold said so. You don't have to exclusively do heart stopping intervals, or exclusive 10 mile runs. Do both. I find the higher intensity workouts are much, much funner then trodging along for X hours.

I'll take 20 minutes of sledge hammer, burpees and hill sprints over a one hour jog any day of the week, but thats just me.

I'm not saying extreme endurance training is for everyone because its not. It would work for everyone if they can manage to make time for it. Its impractical for most people since its so hard to make time for it. YOU DO however burn more calories doing low intensity training as long as you can...compared to high intensity as long as you can.

I know time is hard to come by for me..

I work in a gym but I'm not allowed to work out during my shift, no matter how dead it gets. I'm also not allowed to participate in the classes I teach, which is understandable because I need to keep an eye out on the students' form etc.

I hate evening shifts cuz I start relatively early and work until closing. I am not too worried about cardio right now anyway since I caught a look at myself in a full body mirror the other night and saw how skinny I've become. Time to up the weight training!

I'm not saying extreme endurance training is for everyone because its not. It would work for everyone if they can manage to make time for it. Its impractical for most people since its so hard to make time for it. YOU DO however burn more calories doing low intensity training as long as you can...compared to high intensity as long as you can.

yes and no..

In an article entitled ‘Forget the Fat-Burn Zone’, Clarence Bass cites research done by a group of Canadian scientists, headed by Angelo Tremblay, Ph.D. Tremblay, et al, compared the results of an Endurance Training (ET) program versus High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on fat loss:

“As you might expect, the total energy cost of the ET program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skin-fold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. ‘Moreover,’ reported the researchers, ‘when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was nine-fold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program.’ In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising.â€

That's very interesting. The guy who owns / runs my local gym has echoed that. Although he says different things work for different people, he recommends intense interval cardio, rather than extended moderate cardio, as it causes more calories to be burned after the workout. He says that extended moderate cardio will burn more calories at the time, but will burn less over the course of the day.

If you know any sprinters you'd know they also do a few long easy runs a week. I did track in college and at a HS with high leveled athletes. Even our sprinters did a few 8+mile runs a week. Boxers who are nearly as lean as bodybuilders do tons of endurance training as well. As for those thing marathoners they also need to be that thin. There are many cyclists, rowers, and swimmers who do long events and don't look like that. As for the extended calorie burn thing...I think that applies to cyclists more(I wish it didn't since I'd really love to be burning more calories when I'm not riding). I don't think it applies to runners. Running is very high impact and your body weight multiplies with every stride when you hit the ground. Its much closer to lifting than you think...the big reason distance runners don't get really big leg muscles is that they rarely rest their legs long enough for them to recover much. Try running 10 miles...you'll most likely feel worse doing that than a bunch of squats.

Hello!

My question: How do I tighten the area right below the butt on the backside of the thighs? It seems to be my problem area.

I'm in good shape, 5'5'' 128 lbs. I run 4-6 times a week, 3-4 vigorious miles. I do push ups for strength training and occasionally lift 8 pound weights. Any ideas would be awesome! Cardio, strenth training, or diet.

Thanks

Hi Kate, well here is my two cents. Start Strength Training. You can do cardio till you drop and it will not fix your problem area. If it did, you would not be asking for advise right? Much of this is genetics so you have to fight fire with fire. Also 80% of success comes from what we eat, so make sure your food program is not hindering your success too.

I don't have this particular problem myself, but do to my age, I have to keep strengthening my buttock area to keep it high and round. What works the best for me is, Walking Lunges, Squats and glute kickbacks, you can do these weighted or with your own bodyweight.

Also I see some differences of opinions when it comes to Traditional Cardio vs HIIT. Personally I know that HIIT works better than traditional cardio like running, cycling and walking for me. More and more data is backing this up too.

Anaerobics is the best thing for fat loss, especially for those of us who don't have too much left to lose. You gain muscle mass which in turns using even more fuel, so you continue to burn more calories all the time compaired to just a 2 hour cardio session which may increase your metabolism for just a couple hours after a workout. More muscle means more calories needed to fuel it. (don't start eating more though) And women should lift hard and heavy, none of those little pink dumbbells lol

I do a 6 day split weight lifting program, which hits all major muscle groups twice a week along with 3 HIIT workouts plus 3 to 4 traditional cardio workouts. I love to hike, power walk and cycle, and I will continue to do these, I figure with all the mumble jumble out there, might as well do both. I also like to keep my endurance up.

When I do my Interval training I usually power walk with 6- 50 yard dashs, so I am actually mixing these up pretty good. Jumping rope, jumping jacks are great too. If you go to a gym, I recommend that Stairmaster Stepper on the interval level, Or an RMP Spin class. Both are great.

Have a great day!

If you know any sprinters you'd know they also do a few long easy runs a week. I did track in college and at a HS with high leveled athletes. Even our sprinters did a few 8+mile runs a week. Boxers who are nearly as lean as bodybuilders do tons of endurance training as well. As for those thing marathoners they also need to be that thin. There are many cyclists, rowers, and swimmers who do long events and don't look like that. As for the extended calorie burn thing...I think that applies to cyclists more(I wish it didn't since I'd really love to be burning more calories when I'm not riding). I don't think it applies to runners. Running is very high impact and your body weight multiplies with every stride when you hit the ground. Its much closer to lifting than you think...the big reason distance runners don't get really big leg muscles is that they rarely rest their legs long enough for them to recover much. Try running 10 miles...you'll most likely feel worse doing that than a bunch of squats.

Its like I said, most of their training is going to be speed work, not all. Same with the marathon runners. My understanding is the longer runs are to aid in recovery, and even then, you won't see a high level sprinter trodging along for 8 miles. They run 8 miles fast. Keep in mind, I've never competed in that sport nor have I trained athletes for it, whole different ballgame. Buttttttt, if you asked me to train a track team right now, my sprinters are gonna be sprinting

Yes boxers do lots of endurance work. But there are a few things to be considered. Boxers aren't there to look pretty (least most of em) Really, especially in the lighter weight classes, not packing on muscle is preferable. Its been well documented that LSD running (that repetitive high impact) is very traumatic on your leg muscles. Its also been found that your body will often go to your muscles to get glycogen provided it cannon be obtained through diet, but this is something I haven't read much on so i'm not going to go further into this (muscle catabolism during aerobic workouts).

Most of a fighters workouts ARE high intensity interval training. Heavy bag, pad work, sparring, jump rope, calisthenics, etc. All shoved into a small training period. 3 minutes on, 1 minute off. Repeat. Comparing a boxer to a distance runner is.. no comparison in terms of a general training week.

"the big reason distance runners don't get really big leg muscles is that they rarely rest their legs long enough for them to recover much. "

I really don't feel thats the case. I understand the lack of rest/recovery, but like I said, train fast to be fast. Train long distance running, and you'll be damn good at long distance running. But your body WILL adapt in other ways. A skinny body if an efficient body when it comes to running 26 miles.

Hey Kat! Welcome! I don't have anything to add to your question just noticed this was your first post here on VBB and also you mentioned being new to the Seattle-area which is where I am from so thought I'd welcome you here as well.

Beth, I completely agree with you.

The stair stepper is nice, but I noticed people who use it too much start to get a flat little pancake bum.

I like alternating stair steppers and bikes. I also train legs as hard as I can with weight training. Lunges and squats are the best! Dead lifts are great too cuz they target the glutes AND the hamstrings!!

Last, but not least.. A squeaky clean diet! I've always had issues with my bum.. And if I eat something junky like potato chips or deep fried something or others -- it shows.

Reading this makes me wanna go train. Brb