Penn & Teller slagging off PETA

Cristian

CB,

http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?ChannelID=34

http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/

I don’t believe a word of it. I feel bad for people who have aids; it doesn’t seem fair that they should have to suffer for making a mistake. At the same time I think that most people who contact aids (at least in western cultures) did so because of their life style (drug use and sleeping around… straight or gay) and because of a lack or respect for themselves and others.

Chimps can’t get Aids? I didn’t know that. I disagree however that research on them would be “totally useless” maybe they are looking for that 1% of a difference that protects them and could then use that knowledge to protect us… just a thought. I am very very against animal testing! I am not saying I would not use medication if I needed it, but it is really my last resort.

Violet, well done for posting the links to those pictures. It's too easy to get sidetracked in an abstract argument and forget what we're actually talking about.

Madcat, that 'conspiracy' website looks really dodgy, stuff about 'communists' and 'homosexuals'. As for the virus theory, though... the drug companies do make a lot of money from those drugs... and I don't see how the scale of the African epidemic can be explained unless there's other factors involved apart from virus transmission.

I don’t believe it… I was just trying to post some conspiracy stuff for collegeb. The virus myth stuff really gets me. I looked in their forum, thinking I might find a post by someone who was pissed off by the web site and I found the scariest thing. A guy was thanking them for reveling the true, he had just tested positive but didn’t believe it. Now with this new “proof” that Aids didn’t really exist he was going to stop taking all of the medication that his doctor had proscribed and go back to living his life just as he had before….

I am never having sex again!

mango, my husband and I took my 5 years old Gabriel (male cat) to vet yesterday because he is not eating as usual and became inactive.

Guess what?

Lady vet had hard time to find vein to draw blood and caused Gabriel to cry in pain.

I was angry with vet for causing pain to my cat because if she is skilled vet, I am sure she could find his vein without causing so much pain.

Good news is nothing wrong with his blood and he is ok now.

Can you imagine what kind of chilling brutalities are going on inside of closed and locked doors of vivisection laboratories?

I even don't want to think about it, but it is necessary for us to expose because many people think animals are being treated humanely.

Animal Welfare Act doesn't protect animals in vivisection laboratories and Vivisectors view those animals as nothing but experimental TOOLS and not as sentient creatures.

I cannot say all vivisectors are sadists but my guess is many of them have sadistic tendency and vivisection laboratoris foster sadism.

I don’t believe it… I was just trying to post some conspiracy stuff for collegeb. The virus myth stuff really gets me. I looked in their forum, thinking I might find a post by someone who was pissed off by the web site and I found the scariest thing. A guy was thanking them for reveling the true, he had just tested positive but didn’t believe it. Now with this new “proof” that Aids didn’t really exist he was going to stop taking all of the medication that his doctor had proscribed and go back to living his life just as he had before….

I am never having sex again!

I don't think taking the drugs stops people from being infectious. All they even claim to do is delay onset of the symptoms. I find it incredible that anyone would risk having unsafe sex in any circumstances - there are plenty of other infections around, some of them very nasty, like syphilis which I believe is increasing at the moment. I don't trust conspiracy theorists but I really don't trust the pharmaceutical industry and their publicity machine (governments and doctors) either. Speaking for myself, I don't have enough knowledge to decided which theory of AIDS is correct. But the apparent authority of the 'official theory', or the romance of conspiracy theory, are not meaningful factors in deciding what is true.

I suspect there is some truth in what Thabo Mbeki has said. Could it not be that the virus is one causal factor but that there are other factors, i.e. poverty and compromised immune systems, that allow it to spread so virulently?

Violet, well done for posting the links to those pictures. It's too easy to get sidetracked in an abstract argument and forget what we're actually talking about.

Exactly, yes!!!! If I knew how to post some of those pics directly into the body of my posts above, I would have done so.

Let us remember what we are talking about here instead of turning a blind eye to the actual suffering - what the vivisection industry wants to hide and distort.

I think it is very unfair for people to criticize PETA for putting animals to sleep knowing condition of shelter in NC in the past and animals were not killed humanely.

PETA spay/neutered least thousands of animals and provided winter shelter for dogs who did not have shelter.

While many animals are killed in casual attitude in some shelters, PETA wept while they were putting animals to sleep.

What PETA employees did was wrong and PETA did apologize.

What name of Animal Rights or Animal Welfare organization is perfect anyway?

If PETA start building million of animal shelters, how this courageous organization can have resources to expose chilling brutalities in many animal torture industries by sending undercover investigators?

I will keep defending PETA as long as our anti animal rights enemies keep attacking PETA.

Who are our enemies?

Organizations like Center for Consumer Freedom and Americans for Medical Progress.

Please don't get confused.

Unlike Americans for Medical progress, Americans for Medical Advancement is against vivisection and pro animal rights organization.

Chimps can’t get Aids? I didn’t know that. I disagree however that research on them would be “totally useless” maybe they are looking for that 1% of a difference that protects them and could then use that knowledge to protect us… just a thought. I am very very against animal testing! I am not saying I would not use medication if I needed it, but it is really my last resort.

Chimps have their own form of HIV called SIV. I don't know what the current hypothesis is, but the predominant thought for a while was that HIV originally crossed species over to us from chimps, sorta like the bird flu is doing now.

Another point about animal testing:

Most therapies are focused on cellular treatment these days. It's not necessary to use an entire organism to test a treatment. You just need a few cells to see how they'd react. This is good news for 2 reasons. First, you don't need to kill anything and second, you can get these cells (in most cases) from a HUMAN BEING so you know exactly how the treatment will work in a real human, not a "similar" species.

The bad thing is that western medicine is not generally very wholistic...watch, all of a sudden they will try to be wholistic in order to justify killing animals.

Say they do find a cure for cancer - we won't necessarily know about it......... They are a lot of vested interests and billions of pounds at stake, that would be best served if the status quo remained as it was............

And some would actually like to see a major die off of the undesirables.

Mango,

I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding about what I was saying. I know that drug do not stop Aids from being spread. And if someone who was infected didn’t want to take any medication I see nothing wrong with that. I don’t know if your “unsafe sex” comment was directed at me or not, all I can say is nothing is 100% except abstinence. I do everything I can to protect my self and I would never knowingly pass on anything to anyone else. That website made me sick to my stomach. Reading that someone who has been informed he is positive would continue leading the same kind of life style as before and put others at risk because of some stupid web site that says its fake. Things like that make me lose faith in people.