Howdy.

Hojo_10_19

Howdy,

My names Kyle and I currently work for The Student Conservation Association (www.thesca.org) out in the Mojave desert, socal. We restore habitat damaged by illegal off-road vehicle use. We work from the field which requires camping for 8-10 days at a time. Being vegetarian was prompted by the fact that we couldnt possibly eat meat while in the field (no fridges in the middle of the desert). After the first hitch I realized that it would be really easy to do and have a positive enviromental impact. I was already working to help out so why let my eating habits be counter-productive?

Recent interest in fitness has prompted my reading this and other forums and I decided to sign up here. Mainly I am interested in getting proper nutrition from our vegetarian diet for fitness needs, and also I want to learn what a effective routine would be that I could accomplish while in the field. (read: no equipment except for 2 dumbells)

So far I have been doing pushups, situps, lunges every morning. I recently started running in the morning before work also (the sun rising over the desert-scape is definently reward enough to continue.)

Well, thats my introduction, hope to stick around and learn for some time!

-kyle

Welcome Kyle!

Great to have you here. This should be a really good resource for you. Explore all the different sections especially the nutrition and fitness categories and you'll be all set.

Welcome to the team!

All the best,

Robert

Welcome!

I am imagine that with no refridgeration you couldnt do dairy either.

I am also pleased to hear another environmentalist has finally realized the connecion between diet and environmental impact. I think you would really enjoy reading John Robbins' The Food Revolution (as you may be aware, Robbins is the former ice cream heir turned environmentalist/vegan. he is the founder of Earthsave). It ia a must read for any veg*n and especially a veg*n environmentalist.

Nice to have you hear.

Welcome! That really sounds like a cool ( ) job!

Yea its really neat. Many many good oppurtunities out here. Wilderness first responder cert, Leave no trace trainer cert, plenty of future job contacts after college with the BLM.

Anyone interested in enviromental work should check them out. www.thesca.org. A wide range of internships.