Smith Press

Hey everybody,

I've become really familiar with the Smith Press as I use flat bench as a burnout when doing chest. I can't always find a spot (or trust the other members ) so this machine is ideal.

When calculating the weight lifted, do you subtract the entire weight of the bar, due to the machines compensation?

For instance, 45 lbs weight on either side of a traditional bench equals 135 (45 + 45 + the bar, 45).

Would that only be 90lbs on the Smith?

Thanks!

i really wouldnt recommend doing anything on a smith. for squats they wreck your knees, and the bench press doesnt travel in a straight vertical line, as you touch it on your mid to lower chest and then press it almost over your head. you risk the health of your shoulders.

best to stick to barbell bench with free weights, and just make sure not to lower the weight if you think you wont get it back up again. you can still make good progress without a spotter (ask michael).

jonathan

Yeah you can make plenty of progress. I havnt needed a spotter up till this point and im benching 30 lbs shy of benching 100 lbs more than my weight if that makes sense, im not sure how to calculate it. Anyways the point is you can bench a lot more than you probably think you can, dont rush it though. And its my experience that if you happen to not get the weight back up there is somebody that will step in and give you a hand, just dont let that happen to often, but dont fear it either.

I know it may not be everyone's favorite, but I enjoy using the smith machine.

I think Michael is right, you don't count anything for the bar, just the weight piled on.

I only use the Smith machine for shoulder press or incline bench press, so not too often, but I really enjoy the pump I get from it.

When I use it for bench I have someone spot too, just because I like forced reps (reps with a bit of help). I know not everyone likes forced reps but I get some of the very best pumps when doing them.

Yesterday on chest day after pressing 100lb dumbbells in each hand for 8 reps, I used the smith machine for incline press. On incline I had 2 45lb plates on either side, so I guess that was 180lbs since we don't count the bar and it was an awesome 5 sets, each for about 5-8 reps.

I agree with others that barbells and dumbbells are "best" and that you can get great results without a spotter and that most people (if capable) you ask, will indeed give you a spot. But I also think Smith Machine is a good idea to mix things up. I never do the same exercises each week. I might do one or two that I did the week before, but the workout will never be the same. Smith is something you can add in to mix it up.

Best of luck.

-Thin Thin Smith Machine Incline Bench Him

Good stuff. Thank you.

I am probably going to switch over to dumbells for flat bench. I recently swithced from incline press with dumbells to barbell then back to dumbells and that first day back with dumbells felt so friggen good.

Also, as a note I purchased "Ultimate Workout Log" by Suzanna Schlosberg.

Good for tracking a keeping a record day after day.