What have you'all experienced in terms of high reps vs low?

First I should say that I like to periodize my workouts to keep things moving....

But lately I have been experimenting more with higher reps with lighter weight. One thing I like about this is I find I need less sptting during sets.

For example, I am trying to build size so for chest I was doing heavier dumbell presses. I would do 100 lb dumbells for about 4-6 reps. This is tough and I need a spotter sometimes to help get the weight in position.

Lately I have been switching to lighter weight and higher reps - lets say 80 lb Dbs for 12-15 reps in the DB benchpress.

I must say I am having just as good results! When I hit a certain weight for 12-15 I then bump up to a higher weight...so now I am going for 12-15 reps with 85 lbs.

Anyone experiment with this? Research is showing that both methods are capable of building the same amount of muscle.

I am just finding with something like dumbells it is easier to work with during a workout than pulling the heavy weights off the rack and getting a spotter.

I still from time to time....maybe once a month I will do the heavies.

Thoughts?

My personal experience has been that I seem to gain well on either low or medium rep range stuff, once I get to 12+ reps I find that it's better for my conditioning and aides my fat loss better. I never really saw much for gains in size or strength with getting the reps high, but when I need to fix a situation with my endurance being too low, it works wonders there.

Been reading a lot of research on Clarence Bass's site and the research is saying it doesn't matter for most people, you should be able to gain as much either way. I am finding I am making just as good, if not better gains by focusing on higher reps. I have been working with a weight that allows me to get to 12 reps and then I bump it up. Then when I do go to lift heavier, it is amazing what I am capable of. I worked with 10-12 reps today on chest and triceps and the results were just great! I am liking this. I find it is less stress on my joints as well.

To me low rep work should only be done with compound lifts, but that's just my opinion. Dumbbell BP's are fucking intense with the higher weights so a spotter is very important. I tend to use higher rep work on accessories to the compound lifts( posterior delts, lats, abductor, adductor,triceps,biceps etc) I also dabble in Pain tolerance work ( got the idea from Derek Poundstone) Basically do so many reps with a moderately lightweight and just keep at it to the point of complete fatigue. Static holds are killer as well but you should have a spotter for those cause of the extreme weight and pressure on your body.