Crocop fighting in Japan?

I found this on Wikipedia. A little difficult to read as I think a person with english as their second language wrote it.

DREAM

On Feb 12, 2008, Filipović, announced to visit Japan on his blog.[11] With the foundation of the new MMA event, 'DREAM', co-established by FEG running K-1 Hero's and the former Yarennoka! organizing committee members which had managed PRIDE FC, Filipović officiates ending his career in UFC and the participation into the new event.[12]

After much speculation and many possible rumored opponents, (including Yoshihiro Nakao and Dong Sik Yoon), Fight Entertainment Group confirmed on March 11, 2008 that Cro Cop would be facing Tatsuya Mizuno at DREAM.1 on March 15, 2008 at Satiama Arena, in Japan. [13]

When asked about the Croatian's current contract status with the UFC and whether it would interfere with his participation in 'DREAM' events, DREAM producer and front man Keiichi Sasahara said, "Though I can't share specific details about his contract, there will not be any foreseeable problems arising."[14]

The 2006 Pride Grand Prix champion was vague in answering the question himself, qualifying his response by mentioning his intent to return to the American MMA giant sometime in the future.

"Well, as you all know, I had a bad period in my last two fights, which I'd lost in the UFC," Filipovic said. "I don't want anyone to think that I'm running away from the UFC, but I was thinking a lot about how to continue with my career, and I think in this moment, I think Dream is the right place for me."[15]

"Another thing is that I never liked fighting in the cage. I always liked to fight in the ring. The second thing is that I liked fighting in Japan. Japan is like my second home -- I feel like I'm home in Japan. All those reasons [have brought me] here, and I'm very happy that I'm going to fight here in Japan. But of course, one day, I don't know when, but definitely I'll be back in the UFC to show that it was just a bad period for me. Now I'm fully recovered, physically and mentally, most important mentally."[16]

On March 15th, 2008 he defeated Tatsuya Mizuno by TKO in the 1st round.

Filipovic's next fight with Jerome Le Banner has been rescheduled to DREAM.5, July 21, 2008. The rescheduling is due to Mirko sustaining a minor leg injury.

My question is why not let Fedor fight in his sambo league (one of the deal breakers in the contract negotiations with Fedor) if they are going to let Crocop fight in Japan?

Sorry that what i'm about to say has no relevance to your question but I just had to say that this guy is an absolute beast, a lethal weapon.

My sister is engaged to a croatian guy and he put me on to crocop. He has the meanest killer kick i've ever seen....

I agree if he gets it off it is real painful. The ring gives him that room and he is much more successfull there then in a cage. I personally love to see him slam it, and therefore love to see him in a ring.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Crocop rules. He is one of my favorite MMA fighters, and one of the ones who inspired me to begin training again. I have a TKD background and was always told by other MAists that high kicks were useless. It was very satisfying to see Mirko smoking people in the dome with left high kicks over and over and over. He has been on a losing streak lately, but I'm sure he will be out of it soon enough.

My question is why not let Fedor fight in his sambo league (one of the deal breakers in the contract negotiations with Fedor) if they are going to let Crocop fight in Japan?

Crocop is no longer under contract with the UFC. I'm not sure if they let him go or if his contract was just up. I believe it was the latter.

Crocop is no longer under contract with the UFC. I'm not sure if they let him go or if his contract was just up. I believe it was the latter.

Wow if that is true then that was a short contract. Well I doubt that he will be coming to a cage soon. I like him better in a ring anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Crocop got let out of his contract by Dana White, something that doesn't usually happen. He is going to fight in Japan again for a while and says he has intent to return, but I doubt it. He recently got nose surgery to correct a condition that he claimed was seriously screwing his cardio by about 50%. He is getting older though, so the probability of him wanting to step back into the high level of competition the UFC is currently serving up is low. Hope he does though, I would love to see a few more head kick knock outs.

• 3 weeks later...
Crocop got let out of his contract by Dana White, something that doesn't usually happen. He is going to fight in Japan again for a while and says he has intent to return, but I doubt it. He recently got nose surgery to correct a condition that he claimed was seriously screwing his cardio by about 50%. He is getting older though, so the probability of him wanting to step back into the high level of competition the UFC is currently serving up is low. Hope he does though, I would love to see a few more head kick knock outs.

Mirko could definitely be UFC HW champion in 2009. Last time he was fighting the current UFC champion he was dominating him for most of the fight until he slipped up, got caught in the mount and then put in an armbar. I'd love to see him back and dedicated towards winning the belt, for all that he's put into his career he needs to walk away having held the title in one of the two most historical organizations in the sport (Pride FC/UFC).

Mirko could definitely be UFC HW champion in 2009. Last time he was fighting the current UFC champion he was dominating him for most of the fight until he slipped up, got caught in the mount and then put in an armbar. I'd love to see him back and dedicated towards winning the belt, for all that he's put into his career he needs to walk away having held the title in one of the two most historical organizations in the sport (Pride FC/UFC).

I dont think that the issue is how well he did against the current champ, the problem is the cage seems to be giving him alot of problems, he won his first fight then lost the other one. then no one was afraid anymore and rushed him. They took a page out of Fedor book and closed the distance. Also what hilary said about his hesitation (sp) to pull the trigger.

I dont think that the issue is how well he did against the current champ, the problem is the cage seems to be giving him alot of problems, he won his first fight then lost the other one. then no one was afraid anymore and rushed him. They took a page out of Fedor book and closed the distance. Also what hilary said about his hesitation (sp) to pull the trigger.

No I definitely agree, it's just people seem so ready to dismiss the guy, so I want to point out how he did against Nogueira. Once he works a little bit on his wrestling, takedown defense, and a little bit of footwork he'll do well in the cage. It's simply a matter of adaptation, but he's definitely one of the best strikers in the HW division in all of MMA.

My sister is engaged to a croatian guy and he put me on to crocop. He has the meanest killer kick i've ever seen....
Do you think crocop has a better high kick than Peter Aerts?

Well Mirko beat him, but yeah Aerts has one hell of a resume... but that's primarily in kickboxing. Mirko has fought more well rounded guys.

Perhaps it is just the cage that is bothering him . . . but usually fighters who start posing and not pulling the trigger after big losses need some mental adjustments. Not saying he can't do it, but I think that along with cage training, and upgrading his ground game, he needs to get his confidence back. A major part of fighting is mental.

Perhaps it is just the cage that is bothering him . . . but usually fighters who start posing and not pulling the trigger after big losses need some mental adjustments. Not saying he can't do it, but I think that along with cage training, and upgrading his ground game, he needs to get his confidence back. A major part of fighting is mental.

agreed.