Maca

veganmama

I may have been smokin' something funny but I could have SWORN that I saw someone mention Maca on this site and now I can't find it.... so I will post a new thread:

DOES anyone take/use Maca? I know it is in Vega....

I have been taking it for a few days and I have noticed increased energy, stamina, better mood, and better sleep.... but after reading about it online I am terrified that it is going to "cancel out" my birth control because some of the websites make it sound like gods answer to infertility.... so if anyone takes it (esp. girls) could you let me know your experience w/ it? thanks! I just need some re-assurance

Oh man it awesome! I like how it makes you warm when you eat it. Or it may be just me. I always feel nice with maca. I am eating it right now. If you have no idea how it helps try listening to your body. For men it does increase your penis size, from personal reference only and i may have read that at some point afterwards. As for birth control, get your man to try neem oil maybe if you want more natural protection on his end. Inject or ingest.

It can be like crack at the price its at sometimes. Where I am at its 200g for 20.00 quite cheaper than crack and much cleaner high and no come down. Premium Quality. It would be neat to get the actual root from Peru. The Incas had a lot of things right, including maca.

yeah, I have never had such a strong physiological response to a supplement as I have had to Maca... it really is amazing!

"As for birth control, get your man to try neem oil"

Really??? Neem?? I had no Idea. I don't know if I could even have sex with something that stinky around though...haha Seriously though, that stuff reeks!!

speaking of Maca.... what kind do you guys buy? i.e. Organic, Wild-crafted, Gelatinized??? There are so many different types....

I bought organic "extreme Maca" that is supposed to be "ultra concentrated" or something... just curious what you all have tried.

I take a small amount (half teaspoon) daily on my muesli. When I first started taking it I did notice a slightly bitter, strong malt taste (even when mixed with something) and an equally strong physiological response as others have reported but I guess I'm used to it now. I felt more energized and to be honest, a little more easily agitated initially. Regarding claims of increased libido, no change for me there.

For men it does increase your penis size, from personal reference only and i may have read that at some point afterwards.

And as for this claim of increased penis size, I find that hard to believe (I'm not saying it's untrue or impossible however).

speaking of Maca.... what kind do you guys buy? i.e. Organic, Wild-crafted, Gelatinized??? There are so many different types....

I use Maca Power from http://www.macapower.com.au

I buy gelatinized maca from Navitas. They have it in two packs at Amazon.

Amazon

Unfortunately the price keeps going up. I think it was $20 a two pack when I first started buying it. I noticed an increase in energy, but nothing stimulating. Just some nice, stable energy throughout the day.

I noticed an increase in energy, but nothing stimulating. Just some nice, stable energy throughout the day.

do you drink coffee? becuase I do and I notice that the maca gives my coffee buzz a lot more oomph.... and yeah... the engergy seems to last all day... I love it!

the bottle I bought was 25 bucks for a 2 week or 1 month supply (depending on size of dosage).

thanks for that link cubby, that is a good price! I read that the geletinization (is that a word?) helps w/ absorption.

That brand is also organic, I read that the most important thing when purchasing maca is to make sure it is organic, otherwise it may be contaminated w/ heavy metals due to being harvested near mines-- runoff and all that bad stuff.

I noticed an increase in energy, but nothing stimulating. Just some nice, stable energy throughout the day.

do you drink coffee? becuase I do and I notice that the maca gives my coffee buzz a lot more oomph.... and yeah... the engergy seems to last all day... I love it!

the bottle I bought was 25 bucks for a 2 week or 1 month supply (depending on size of dosage).

I don't drink coffee, but I could see it giving stimulants a bit more oomph. I remember seeing maca "coffee" somewhere once. I think it was just roasted maca, but may have had coffee beans mixed in.

I wouldn't be interested in buying maca capsules to swallow, but powder to put in shakes or in oatmeal. What does it tastes like ? I love the word "maca", it makes me think as if it would taste like chocolate.

yeah, I hate taking capsules when I could just mix it up w/ some food or a shake! Capsules seem like a wussy way to take a supplement Actually it has a really malty flavor... I mixed it up with some tofu pudding the other day though and I totally gagged...haha... it tastes a lot better in a chocolate/banana smoothie in my humble opinion

It gives a graham cracker flavor. It goes great with chocolate, cinnamon or vanilla. I forgot to add some into my smoothie yesterday morning, so I tried to throw a scoop in my mouth and down it like ginger powder, but it caked to my mouth and wouldn't go down. I had to run downstairs and brush all over my mouth to get it all. Nasty on its own for sure.

It gives a graham cracker flavor. It goes great with chocolate, cinnamon or vanilla. I forgot to add some into my smoothie yesterday morning, so I tried to throw a scoop in my mouth and down it like ginger powder, but it caked to my mouth and wouldn't go down. I had to run downstairs and brush all over my mouth to get it all. Nasty on its own for sure.

lol oh my god that is a hilarious picture... not that I am laughing at your misfortune or anything

I like to make a "mexican chocolate" (cinnamon and cocoa powder) shake with it....mmmmmm.

lol oh my god that is a hilarious picture... not that I am laughing at your misfortune or anything

I like to make a "mexican chocolate" (cinnamon and cocoa powder) shake with it....mmmmmm.

I bet you aren't.

I am sure my roommies would have gotten a good laugh at me when I did that. I know I had a panicked look on my face.

I haven't tried it with Mexican style chocolate yet. Sounds like a winner. I will have to do that.

ahah, a "mexican chocolate".

Well, if maca goes well with foods like banana, chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla, I should like it. Especially if it has a graham cracker flavour, I love graham cookies

Cubby, everytime I drink brewers yeast with water I do almost the samething that happened with you with the maca. I ned to have something near and ready to rinse my mouth afterwards. Drinking brewers' yeast is almost as worse as swallowing raw whole eggs

I considered using nutritional yeast in some kind of smoothie, but I never tried it because it just sounded so nasty. I will stick to my hemp flour. Yum (not verbal irony).

I have been thinking about doing that too... but I am too afraid that it will be nasty and I will have wasted all the other ingredients in the shake... but it says on the package to add it to fruit smoothies... maybe I will try adding it to some chocolate almond milk first and see if the buttery flavor dissipates.... it could be a valuable source of protein in a smoothie if it doesn't taste nasty.

I am sure my roommies would have gotten a good laugh at me when I did that. I know I had a panicked look on my face.

I haven't tried it with Mexican style chocolate yet. Sounds like a winner. I will have to do that.

I bet you were panicked with a mouth full of maca....hahahaha.... oh god, that is just so funny. Did you use your toothbrush to get it out of your mouth? and if so, doesn't your toothbrush smell like maca now???

I did use my toothbrush. I just smelled it. It smells minty still. I put tons of toothpaste on it when I brushed, so I think that prevented the smell.

haha....oh that's good. Now I am trying to imagine what a mouth full of Maca AND toothpaste would be like. I guess I really don't want to imagine that

Nutritional yeast in a smoothie is not that bad actually just use it sparingly like you would avocado. Too much just ruins the flavor a bit for me. I have once inhaled maca through my nose and that hurt for a few days. Just always remember to mix in the maca on the top.