How vegan is your city ? Any favorite places to eat?

What is the best city to find all we want as vegans ? What are your favorite health food stores and restaurants?

I found this list to be the best one so far for adresses, with descriptions and reviews, check out your city:

http://www.happycow.net/

I was only vegeterian when living in Montreal and didn't have Internet to see a list like that, then I moved in countryside and became vegan since the beginning of this year. Not many restaurants and food stores, so even less vegan ones but still a few interesting places. Now I can't wait to go back in Montreal to try all those restaurants and health food stores! http://www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/quebec/montreal/

Eventhough most of them aren't 100% vegan, there's still many vegan options. This restaurant looks amazing, Les Cuisines du Tibet Libre specialized in veggie pizzas.

Also I liked to buy foods at Tau, Rachelle Bery, Frenco, Folie en Vrac and Club Organic!

My town is as vegan friendly as any old regular town. There's not really any place I can eat( I haven't eaten at a restaurant in years )

There are good places to buy food to make at home though. Usually I can find yummy organic vegan stuff everywhere almost.

Raileys and Bel-Air which is like a 15 minute drive away have a whole section to Natural stuff.

In the same town there is also a health food store called Sunflower. But it's expensive as shit.

An hour drive away to Chico there is a Trader Joes which is where I prefer to do all my shopping. But I can't always afford to go. I haven't been in Months. ( At least 6-9 )

The only place I can get food close buy is in one of those crap hole corner stores. Kings. It smells like dead zombie ass in there( Like a Mexican store covered in ass ...It's hard to explain) They only have two flavors of Silk Soymilk. Original and Vanilla. No Chocolate or Very Vanilla. Screw them. The only other thing I could possibly get there is crappy( But Vegan ) Chips and some crappy( But Vegan ) Salsa. Oh Yeah. They also have Organic Soy Sauce there. Granted it's made by Kikomon but at least it's Vegan.

Yeah. My town is as Vegan Friendly as any other town pretty much. Nothing special but not too bad. Trapped in the middle of Mediocrity.

I live in Billings Montana. All roads in (or out) go past a feedlot.

We have one food co-op. I have nothing to compare it to, but Potter gave it a good rating.

I buy most of my food there.

No resaurants have vegan meals, so you need to veganize them as best you can.

You never know what hidden ingredients may be in the meal.

Not enough vegan variety. A lot of Chinese restaurants

Horizons

http://www.horizonsphiladelphia.com/

Don't let the price of the food scare you. The food is so delicious it's worth every dollar. Horizons has the best vegan cheesecake I've ever had in my entire life.

Singapore Chinese Restaurant (Chinatown)

http://philadelphia.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=28494&neighborhoodid=213&cuisineid=68&home=Y

Satellite Cafe (West Philly)

Inexpensive vegan wraps, desserts, smoothies

Whole Foods Market Buffet

Hey guy,

Check out http://www.viktorasraw.blogspot.com for some eating places in different cities, mostly New England area.

Someone should do a directory. Maybe I will do it.

Some great restaurants:

San Diego - Cilantro's

Toronto - Live

Chicago -www.karynraw.com

What a dream. You look great!

Love, Richard

Not enough vegan variety. A lot of Chinese restaurants

Horizons

http://www.horizonsphiladelphia.com/

Don't let the price of the food scare you. The food is so delicious it's worth every dollar. Horizons has the best vegan cheesecake I've ever had in my entire life.

Singapore Chinese Restaurant (Chinatown)

http://philadelphia.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=28494&neighborhoodid=213&cuisineid=68&home=Y

Satellite Cafe (West Philly)

Inexpensive vegan wraps, desserts, smoothies

Whole Foods Market Buffet

Yeah at least there's always Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Mexican restaurants that have some vegan dishes.

Wow that Horizon restaurant looks great ! and expensive!

I was at a food store the other day and say huge non-vegan cheesecakes in a freezer, and was wondering if it would be possible to find some vegan or to make some that would have a similar taste and look... then I see you talking about that Key Lime Cheesecake... Mmm

Phoenix is getting there.... I think that a good amount of people here at least know what the word vegan means... which is a start in the right direction.

I have not had much trouble finding vegan food when eating out... we just stick to thai, indian, chinese food mostly. There is a restaurant here called the 'Vegetarian House' that has pretty much any asian food you could ever eat made out of soy protein... i.e. orange "chicken", BBQ "pork".... it is pretty amazing! It is pretty much vegan junk food but fun for a treat every once in a while.

Dear Veganmama,

Love the quote from Giesel. What good sense!

And you are equally sensible in limiting the vegan soy tasty junk food. Stay healthy and happy. Stay as close to Nature and God as possible. You and your child are so beutiful and precious.

Love, Richard

(USA) Weehawken, New Jersey.....

Well I typed in my address on the website and I got 110 listings at first (73 restaurants and 37 stores) although that's not fair because I'm right across from Manhattan, NY lmao. I switched to a 2 mile radius and it became 3 restaurants and 5 stores. There were nothing in a 1 mile radius.

So I guess not much where I live, but NY is a great place

Makes sense, because I live in a very Hispanic area with TONS of immigrants (not only from Latin America, but places like the Middle/Far East, etc.) and they tend not to be vegetarian or vegan (except the Hindus, but they all live in Jersey City). I love Indian food though

Interesting topic.

Malmö Sweden is vegan friendly as hell but not really for health enthusiasts. We have soy cheese on pizzas, vegan burgers, falafel, hot dogs, asain restaurants packed with msg and fake meats, cafes have vegan cheese and ham sandwhiches. the only healthy vegan food you can get is probably at govindas (hare krishna place). but their food isn't that good.

Dear Veganmama,

Love the quote from Giesel. What good sense!

And you are equally sensible in limiting the vegan soy tasty junk food. Stay healthy and happy. Stay as close to Nature and God as possible. You and your child are so beutiful and precious.

Love, Richard

awwww thanks

I live in Lafayette, Louisiana. Most people in South Louisiana don't even know what Vegan is!! However, we have some really great vegan-friendly restaurants here. They're mostly ethnic (Thai, Indian, Lebanese etc.) and the food is delicious. We also have three really well-stocked HFS plus a Fresh Market. I guess there's worse places to live if you Vegan...

Hey Sophie,

I always found that my best bet was to make and even grow my own food myself. Have you done any sprouting and indoor gardening?

Lots of good books on vegan and raw vegan food prep are available online. Just google or go to amazon.com.

This link may help you: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/louisiana/lafayette/index.html

Remember, the knowledge that you have been given is a gift. The other people are suffering because they are ignorant and unaware. It is your task to share what you know and to instruct them.

Do good, stay safe and be healthy.

Love, Richard

http://www.viktoras.org

http://www.survivalinthe21stcentury.com

http://www.optimumhealth.org

http://www.anwigmore.org

Malmö Sweden is vegan friendly as hell but not really for health enthusiasts. We have soy cheese on pizzas, vegan burgers, falafel, hot dogs, asain restaurants packed with msg and fake meats, cafes have vegan cheese and ham sandwhiches. the only healthy vegan food you can get is probably at govindas (hare krishna place). but their food isn't that good.

Wow your city seems like an amazing place for vegans. Well, Europe in general is better than America when it comes to health in general. For instance, grownt hormones are banned from nutrition in Europe. Also, the animals are treated better in farms, at least when they're sent to the slaughterhouse, there's many regulations (water and food always available in the truck; stops every 4 hours to rest) while in America they're too many in the same truck, no water, the law allows up to 52 hours without any water or food, they also break the noses from the pigs so they won't fight during the travel. Only in Canada, 2 million pigs out of 600 millions every year, die in the trucks before they reach the slaugtherhouses.

yeah it's great. mostly thanks to the store i work in since we started distributing to restaurants and so on.

europe is probably better, most people say so (i've never been to northern america) but we do have horrible animal transportation within the european union. we have a lot more laws than you have that are supposed to protect the animals but they are not being followed.

The 10 commandments consists of 297 words

The american decleration of independence contains 300 words

The european unions directive for export of duck eggs contains 26911 words

everything is going down the drain with animal rights/welfare here. it's depressing. more countries are starting to treat animal rights activists as terrorists and no real progress has been made when it comes to laws. In sweden it's still legal to rape an animal as long as you own it and you don't "cause harm". as much as i want to think we are a country with great welfare for the animals I think we are riding on an old wave.

Thanks Richard,

My brother is actually an organic farmer but he lives two hours away. I do grow my own herbs plus tomatoes and peppers although i don't have as much time to garden as I'd like to. I try to frequent farmer's markets often but lately they've been getting rained out.

That's incredible, lmao. And that's duck eggs alone? I can't imagine what it is for things like chicken eggs or milk.

yeah only duck eggs. and who the fuck eat duck eggs??? i've never even seen duck eggs.

That's incredible, lmao. And that's duck eggs alone? I can't imagine what it is for things like chicken eggs or milk.

yeah only duck eggs. and who the fuck eat duck eggs??? i've never even seen duck eggs.

LMAO, I was actually going to say the same thing, but I wasn't sure if they were common where you lived or not, so I kept my mouth shut :-x

Actually, two weeks ago they started selling quail eggs, duck eggs, OSTRICH EGGS, and some other animal's eggs (starts with a P, I forgot) at the Whole Foods near me. My dad and I were hysterical, especially with ostrich eggs. THEY'RE HUGE!!!! Under the description, it said that they were 3 pounds each and feed 10-12 people. $30 each. Who knew?

I'm off topic though, don't mind me, people.

My city is not VEGAN AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing I'm creative, or I'd be a gonner. I want to move to Portland, Oregon when I graduate.

http://fuseblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/toledoskyline23web.jpg

At least it looks pretty nice, with water and enough trees, kind of like Montreal

In sweden it's still legal to rape an animal as long as you own it and you don't "cause harm".

that's increddible! damn, I guess there's at least a dozen of persons in Sweden that are aware of this and so practice it without the fear of going to jail !

But another good thing about Europe is that GMO labelling is mandatory.

funny/horrible situation happened a couple of years ago. an ex cop was filmed while he raped 7 pigs on a farm. he was sentenced to pay like 1000 dollars in a fine. not because he raped 7 pigs, but because the pigs wasn't his property.

yeah the gmo thing is good. what's not good is that the new labeling for organic farming thinks it's okay to have 1% or less GMO in a product and still get the labeling. Just as long as it is not intentional, weird stuff.