Another reason why fish and fish oils are no good

RAINRA

Thanks for all this. There's also the parasites issue. 50% of fish are infested with parasites or eggs in their belly and people who eat raw fish or not well-cooked fish will have tapeworm or more severe stuff.

Fish consumption went 600% up during the last 50 years, because of the bad representation about red meat, and because of the promotion about omega-3.

When will this madness stop? One time I said to someone that eating fish is not good for her and she couldn't understand and was looking at me as if I was crazy.

There's some nutritionists that advice to avoid fish while pregnancy because of heavy metals, that only half a can of tuna is unsafe so much it contains mercury others will say: "there's not enough for intoxication, it is even more important to eat fish while pregnant because the baby need the omega-3" . shut up, eat fish if you want but don't encourage people to poison themself.

Basically Fish is not healthy for anyone no matter how many times people claim it is great. Plus the poor guys are the middle man when it comes to omega 3s. It is not the original source of omega 3s. Kelp and other sea plants are the original source.

Here is the same script over and over again.

AAAAAAAAAAA what... what is that..... plants??? (Dramatic pause) nutrients....? how that is impossible....?

yeap!

Plants win again.

There is algae based EPA and DHA, for a couple of years now - http://www.water4.net
That seems like a better product than fish. Zack, eating fish, and even less something extracted from them, is not essential (we're the living proofs) and therefore has no benefits for health. The body only search what's essential. We don't need to eat what the body doesn't need. What we don't need is toxic and will produce toxic wastes.

Zack, eating fish, and even less something extracted from them, is not essential (we're the living proofs) and therefore has no benefits for health.

that's weird logic. I can find hundreds of things that aren't "essential" but still benefits health. Weightlifting is a good example.

I am sure people who eat a variety of whole foods get what they need daily. I think this omega 3 craze is a marketing scheme. There is some truth to it but I truely think that omega 3s are not what truely protects your heart. This was done so well that people are willing to defend it like it is law. I realize we all need certain nutrients but I think this isolation of nutrients thing, we keep doing is at the end seem like it really does not do much for anyones health. It just seems to me suddenly everyone is worried and scared if they don't get their omega 3s. I think this is not the solution. Eating well period is the key. 5 years ago people or so people did not get their omega 3 supplements and they were the same in health. Same with 15 years ago. Now people might even be worse off then 20 years ago. Both my grandparents lived to 89 and one ate the mediteranian diet and the other ate the western diet. Both had smoked for a significant amount of years. One ate more fish than the other. So I am assuming their are a whole lot of things that affect life health and longevity not just one nutrient.

Bottom line what scientist do know is

Eat mainly high plant based diet.

Reduce stress significantly

Don't eat processed or minimally

Excersize

Have a good community tie with family friends or other groups.

check out the blue zones

http://www.bluezones.com/video

Zack, eating fish, and even less something extracted from them, is not essential (we're the living proofs) and therefore has no benefits for health.

that's weird logic. I can find hundreds of things that aren't "essential" but still benefits health. Weightlifting is a good example.

some basic weightlifting and all types of exercises ARE essential, otherwise your muscles will atrophy. It benefits health because it helps in life to be able to walk or lift a pencil, or to have more strenght and endurance for doing more intense work. But there's no benefits for health to weight near 300 pounds of pure muscles like Ronny and others.

The centenarians in the Blue Zones do not get an overabundance of omega 6 fatty acids - much different from western societies. Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids ARE essential. There is no money to be made in encouraging people to eat less omega 6 fatty acids and less fat overall, so it's absolutely true that there is a huge market in omega 3 fatty acids.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to butt in much, but does anyone have good links to how damaging fish are to the environment? My friend recently became vegetarian (due to environmental concerns) and he is looking into how bad fish are for the environment. He says he has found sites saying both sides, and he is unsure of what to do. If anyone has some links (scientific please) of either side, then that would be great!