New to Raw

apple

I want to make sure I do this right. I have tried raw foods once before and I got extremely depressed while doing it, but I'm not sure I can blame raw foods 100% for that--I was pretty stressed out at the time, too. Anyways, I want to try again because my skin is just looking terrible right now!! It cleared up a bit when I did a raw month and I'm hoping that by doing between 90-100% raw, it will do so again.

I went grocery shopping today and picked up a ton of fruit (bananas, apples, tangerines, avocados) and vegetables (kale, spinach, onions). I also got a raw hemp protein powder that was miraculously sitting on a random shelf in the store!! So I think I'm all set to start out anew, but I want to know:

What kind of ratio of fats/carbs/proteins should I shoot for? I'm 5'9", 135 lb female. I'm training for a half marathon right now, so I do 3ish runs a week, one of which is around 10 miles.

I would not be the right person to advise, as you are a runner & female, whereas I am a male & trying to gain weight.

But good luck with going raw - I think as long as you eat plenty of good foods like nuts, fruits, vegetables etc you will be fine.

follow the example of other endurance athletes who are raw vegans, like Brendan Brazier, Tim VanOrden, Richard Blackman, Harley, etc...

What I suggest you is simply: eat many fruits in the morning, start by fruits that are not too sugary like melons or pears. Pay attention not to mix sweet fruits with acid fruits. For lunch eat a large green salad with half a cup of nuts, or reserve this for evening instead and eat more fruits depending on what time of the day you workout. Eat as much as you need.

and be sure to eat enough calories, bananas are great to pump up your daily calories intake, I eat fruits all along the day, and after the fruits I eat green leafy veggies and some sprouts(usually alfalfa and broccoli), and at the and of the day I eat some nuts and seeds, but really low on fat

Yeah, I feel like bananas are my main source of fuel right now. Literally ate 6 bananas yesterday, and 3 so far today. I managed to get 1700 calories in yesterday (it was a lazy no workout day). Today however, I ran 10 miles and am a little concerned that it will be difficult to get in 2700 calories. That seems like such a huge number!!! I just want to eat falafel wraps and french fries when I see that number....

I eat about 10-20 bananas a day, and other 2-3kg of other fruits beside of that+mostly lettuce as green leafy vegetable,alfalfa and broccoli sprouts, and a handful of nuts and seeds, this is my daily intake and sometime I drinkg wheatgrass juice, I was just a bit lazy doing it in the past weeks

Pay attention not to mix sweet fruits with acid fruits

Dude, could you do me a list of the different types of fruit? I need to formulate a new smoothie for myself, & you might be able to help

You can know by taste which are more acid : pineapple, strawberries, etc... And bananas, dates, are definitely sweet fruits. The mid-acid fruits can be eaten with acid or sweet fruits. www.thefruitpages.com

yeah it sucks that the cheapest food is the junk food like sugar and saturated fats. Luckily, where I live bananas and dates aren't too expensive and it happens that those 2 fruits are some of the most calorie dense. But yeah, organic fruits and veggies in general are way too expensive, especially due to the meat industry, the production of vegetal oils to fuel cars, the agro-business and all the law of supply and demand, the wolves of wall street, etc... Anyway, you can also try a low calorie diet, maybe it works for you and that you don't have to eat 3000 calories. I don't know if it's totally true, but Tim VanOrden claims he eats only 1500 calories per day. So that costs 2x less.

Where do you shop? I buy 40 lbs cases of bananas for $19.20.

Remember that eating raw requires less calories; simple carbs consume very little energy digesting so your overall calorie needs go down-maybe by as much as 20%.

You gotta get used to eating volume-fruit averages 70% water so what your really doing is eating lots of water with some nutritious sugars. I'm 169 lbs and typically eat 15 bananas a day, and I do almost no cardio (of course, I eat a lot of additional fruit and greens and some nuts/seeds too.) If you start loosing weight and think your becoming too skinny, just eat more fruit and up the nuts some more. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

I'd be careful of eating half a cup of nuts a day-4 ounces of nuts is about 700 calories, typically over 70% of them fat. I shoot for 1 ounce a day on average, and I don't need to be as lean as a runner. On a 2300 cal per day diet, 4 ounces of nuts will put you close to 30% of daily cals from fat; you probably want to shoot for no more than 15% fat, and maybe as low as 10%.

To RawVgn

Being on a raw diet is expensive. ESPECIALLY if you're starting out on one.

I could spend up to $15-$40 per day on raw foods.. Depending on my activity level and how I'm feeling this and that....

And where as a person who is on a cooked food diet can spend $20 per week on foods.

I've been on this diet for over 2.5 yrs now, and I'm realizing that now that I don't make as much money as I'm use to. That's were I'm spending most of money is towards raw foods.

banana's = .79c - $2.00 per pound

4lbs of greens = $8.00 - $10

4lbs of oranges = $3.00 - $5.00

Avacado's = .69c - $2.00 per one

Tomatoes = $1.00=$5.00 per pound

Mangos = 2.00 = 4.00 each

Celery $1-$3 per pound

Seaweed $4-$8 per bag.

Dates $5-$9 per pound

The list can go on......

The cheapest is non organic and the expensive is organic cost..

And with the economic system, from shipping.. I'm sure the cost will go up..

To lower the cost of living raw shop local, or apply to volunteer to work at a local market to receive a discount, or grow your own garden, or move to an warm climate with being surrounded by wild fruit trees.

or grow your own garden, or move to an warm climate with being surrounded by wild fruit trees.

Tasha raises the critical point here, for me.

If we can educate ourselves in growing our own food, there will be no need to spend a fortune paying others to grow it for us.My aim over the next coming year is to learn about growing as many things in my diet as possible - all the fruit apart from the tropical stuff, all the vegetables, like potato, cabbage, carrots etc.Also I may start growing my own hemp as apparently it is easy to grow & needs no pesticides.To own your own house & grow all your own food is to be truly self sufficient, and cuts down the cost of living to a minimum.

I grew a few things on my porch this summer (tomato, basil, etc) but I wish I had more room! I live in a little apartment with three other people (and I had to right my name on EVERY banana I bought because they don't care who buys what, and I DO), so I don't have much room for a banana tree....

That said, I really want some pancakes right now. Wheat in any form, really. I've been trying to see if I have a food intolerance, mostly, and I ate some baked beans on Thursday and they made my stomach HURT like hell. They were from a can, and I hadn't had salt in a few days, so maybe that was the problem. Or the sugar in baked beans. But I'm wondering if it was beans themselves that killed my stomach. I'm hoping that if I have a food intolerance, it's to some kind of preservative, and not to soy or wheat. Does anyone know much about food intolerances?

Does anyone know much about food intolerances?

Not really much more than most probably.People can be intolerant or allergic to almost anything.One person I heard about was allergic to trees - honestly!

I have become intolerant to soya recently, & I think it was because I ate too much of it.That can bring on allergies apparently.

Does anyone know much about food intolerances?

Not really much more than most probably.People can be intolerant or allergic to almost anything.One person I heard about was allergic to trees - honestly!

I have become intolerant to soya recently, & I think it was because I ate too much of it.That can bring on allergies apparently.

allergies can be caused by too much of a specific food or the absence of it, right? I guess the body during it's first ages need to be used and immuned against as many different substances as possible, in normal doses.

I've talked about an aspect of allergies in an older post; the way we feed cattle seems to have an impact on allergies to humans, since we started to give foods that cows and other animals are not suposed to eat, like peanut proteins, soy proteins, wheat proteins, etc... Well, strange that they are the most common allergies on humans. (These animals can't use these foods properly and it passes through the food chain in too large amounts, for those who eat an animal based diet). The rate of allergies raised since these methods started. I don't like the hypocrisy of the mainstream medias who will always omit to mention this factor and talk only about the others, to avoid disturbing the meat and dairy industry.