Flatulence

AllIveEverTouched

What do you do when you have to fart?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends on the location.

If I'm at the dinner table, out in public, or some other inappropriate situation I try to hold it or excuse myself. If I'm at home relaxing, I let it fly then blame it on someone else. Or let it fly then leave the room, as necessary.

A related quote from my house the other night: "Hey mom, what was that sound? It sounded just like an elephant!"

Heh... oops?

I've heard people use flatulence as a reason for not becoming vegan. Once the body adjusts I really don't think flatulence is any more of a problem for vegans than for meat eaters.

Agreed. It depends more on what you eat and how you combine your foods, rather than whether or not your diet includes meat. If anything, I think it's worse for meat eaters, because of meat's tendency to putrefy in the digestive system. If flatulence is a huge problem, proper food combining or mono meals and sensible portions should help. Excessive flatulence can also a symptom of intestinal parasites, and remedies are available for that.

Personally, I haven't noticed any major difference in the transition.

I've found some foods are more "gassy" than other foods. I think food combining has a whole lot to do with gas production. Chewing food slowly and eating slowing in general should help too.

If it becomes and issue, avoid the foods that cause gas. I think high fiber foods affect some people as well. I noticed that when I stopped eating 7 Clif Bars a day, it dramatically reduced gas production.

-Thin Thin Farting Him

• 3 months later...

Always, ALWAYS blame it on the dog or your brother... can't fail there! But, the true sign of love is being able to let one rip in front of another and not be embarrassed... hence, my family and I display a lot of love, LOL!!! j/k Yes, the all-mighty fluffer is the one big downfall for being a vegan. However, I also find it as a "badge of honor," for it announces to everyone that I'm a vegan, I'm healthy, and I don't eat meat! YAH! So, my fellow veggies: toot loud and proud!!! LOL For those whom are overly gassy or self-conscious, I've found that Activated Charcoal has helped a bit.

That's great Shelby but seriously I don't think vegans generally have more gas. Gas is no big deal I guess but if even some vegans go around perpetuating the idea that vegans are always farting, it opens us up to serious (and undeserved) ridicule.

I can already see the SnL skit in my head.

• 2 weeks later...
I face forward and keep my eyes half closed, like I'm bored.

OMG, how in the world are u able to keep a straight face and act so nonchalant????!!!! I can't help but to at least crack a little bit of a smile, lol. And if it's from someone else, then I bust out laughing!

Life is taken too seriously sometimes and that's one of the beauties of how all animals are constructed: something serious and vital to life can be made into something humorous and laughable.... why? because we are supposed to find joy out of the little things in life.... even if it is due to that silly little noise exiting one's booty. So, fart and be merry! ((((Steps off her soap box)))) lol

Shelby wrote:

OMG, how in the world are u able to keep a straight face and act so nonchalant????!!!!

Matt wrote:

Believe me, it took years of practice. It's really just a state of mind...

I think I would implode if I tried to keep a straight face! It would be physically impossible for me, I think. I'll have to try it next time someone toots.... so, if u don't hear from me in a few days, u'll know why, LOL.

LOL, I really do try to keep it quiet or get out discreetly.

On a serious note, I noticed a little more gas when I became vegan at first and it gradually decreased as my body got used to a regular, steady vegan diet. I've had more fiber at times but haven't really noticed any difference in smell or increased flatulence.

Are we really talking about farting?