Seated military press

I used to be able to rep out 135lbs for 20, 205 for 10, and 225 for 5. At the time I weighed 205 and this was done behind the neck with strict form.

Then you were probably benching over 405 right? There's not many people doing that kinda weight

Not sure for Octo (only he can answer that one, he may have had a huge bench back then), but a strong overhead does not translate to a strong bench. I've never benched over 315, and may well never bother to go over that point again, but I had my best push press at 295 lbs. and came close with 300 a few times. If you're like me and have sucky bench technique, then it's possible to have a terrible bench while still getting better at overhead pressing. But, I think I'm in the minority on that one, but still, you can have a decent overhead while maintaining a bench press that doesn't seem to go anywhere

That's weird i'd think you'd have a bench over 400. I put up 275 6 times on bench last time i did it and maxed 315 pretty easily couple weeks back. Pretty sure i can do 335. My over head lifts have allways been way behind my bench, so now i'm paying a much higher attention to overhead work and overall shoulder work. In grappling and combat sports in general benching doesn't help much where shoulder/ tri cept strength is very important.

I personally like seated shoulder press much more becasue i feel i get a much better work out that way. I can lift way more standing though. I can probably do 225 standing maybe a little more and like 185 seated

Also, bring back the Press into competition which has become a mantra in many weightlifting circles. I can't believe Curling is still a lift in some competitions and the Press is not.

What would be the point of bringing back the press? I agree it is an interesting lift technically, but I don't think it would add anything to the competitions really.

As far as I understand it the main reasons for removing the press was recuding the time needed for the competitions, and that the technique had developed into something that was not so easy for the referees to judge. Both of those sounds pretty valid to me. Besides, few of the weightlifters active today has ever trained the press, so I think it would be very hard practically to bring it back.

As for rule changes, I think removal of the pressout rule would be a better option.

As far as I understand it the main reasons for removing the press was recuding the time needed for the competitions, and that the technique had developed into something that was not so easy for the referees to judge....Besides, few of the weightlifters active today has ever trained the press, so I think it would be very hard practically to bring it back.
Yes, from my understanding one of the primary reasons the press was removed from competition is because it became difficult for referees to judge. It's also true few lifters today have ever trained in the press so it would take time before most lifters could learn proper technique to press heavy weight. You made some good points bronco.