If Lack of Protein in Last 24, Is Workout Counterproductive?

mango19

So...let's say that you slacked on adequate protein in the last 24 hours.

Instead of consuming your typical 180 g protein / 24 hours, you ate like 50 g.

You start lifting weights, and you notice your muscles feel flimsy.

Is your workout counterproductive?

What happens to your muscles if you push them without having adequate protein?

My thought would be that it would only slow down the rebuilding of muscle fiber/tissue, until a adequate protein source (amino acids) is obtained. Counter productive? Not over the short depletion period. Over a long depletion period I would think so.

There's no way you'd notice any thing in one day form lack of protein. More then likely you just under ate or did some thing else. Protein doesn't efect the current workout, but the recovery from that workout. A lack of carbs will effect current proformance to a large degree. There's a reason why athletes carb load before a event and not just eat a huge steak. Carbs are the fastest and most effient engery source.

yeah and samething if you lack of calories too: when the body cannibalizes itself in search for energy, it will use mostly bodyfat, which is the main purpose of having bodyfat, it's a better source of energy than proteins (your muscles). Yes you can lose some muscles too, but to a lesser degree than bodyfat, especially if you use your muscles often, your body will not deprive you of what you need and what you're using (to a certain degree of course, and especially if your protein intake is sufficient).

I rephrased it to focus in more:

If you know you won't be able to lift as much as usual, due to insufficient protein and calories in the last 24, is it better to wait a day, or prevent wasting a day?

If you DO workout, will you require "extended" repair time to get back to 100%?

I'm not sure that anyone really knows the answers to each of those questions. I personally would not put off a workout for a full 24 hours. I would eat at least 25-30 grams of protein and a good source of complex carbs about an hour before working out. Even if you don't have a stellar workout, your are still stimulating muscle growth by lifting and eating properly before and after.

Many things, not just nutrition, affect your endurance and strength during a workout so except to have weaker days. Consistency is key.

I think you should go ahead and work out. If you only had one day of low-cal, low-protein, it's unlikely you greatly compromised your glycogen reserves. But as DV said, make sure you hit the protein and carbs long enough before the workout that you have something in the tank.

Your body wants to utilize muscular glycogen and triglycerides as much as possible during high-intensity exercise. They're readily available and quickly converted. After that it will probably start to focus on serum glycogen and fatty acids, also working in some fat stores, serum aminos, and muscle stores, hopefully in that order. As long as you have available sugars and fats in the bloodstream, you shouldn't trigger any more muscular breakdown than during a normal workout, and you'll still promote growth.

Personally, I'd chow down on a couple of bananas and some BCAAs, wait a half-hour or so, then hit the gym. And properly refuel during and afterwards.

I rephrased it to focus in more:

If you know you won't be able to lift as much as usual, due to insufficient protein and calories in the last 24, is it better to wait a day, or prevent wasting a day?

If you DO workout, will you require "extended" repair time to get back to 100%?

Don't worry about it. What you do some of the time will never really effect you, it's what you do most of the time. Be consistant with training and try to get enough food daily. If you don't for a day or two no big deal.