Cholesterol from Food and Human Cholesterol?

RAINRA

anyone have any evidence that animal cholesterol when consumed increases actual human cholesterol ?

lots of people ask me haw about eggs (eggs are filled with cholesterol).

I know that... so are lean meats... even if they are lower in fat. Such as fish and chicken.

Ok here is the problem. There has been a glut of recent research that has shown dietary cholesterol and dietary saturated fats don't have as big of an effect on blood cholesterol as once thought. There are two main problems with this research that I can see

1. Many studies are funded by the meat industry and the pro Atkins industry.

2. My personal experience has been vastly different from their results.

I really don't know how much dietary cholesterol and sat. fats affect blood cholesterol levels, but personally I think it's quite a bit. Before going vegan I was a 'heavy dairy' vegetarian. My cholesterol level was 220 (at 20 years old!). Since going vegan (over a year ago now) my cholesterol level has dropped to 95. Now, I don't really have a way to explain that besides the fact that I eliminated cholesterol and reduced sat. fat in my diet. Yes, I know, I'm just one person, and I may be unique, but personally I feel that many of the new studies are bogus...

Yeah it seems pretty obvious. Allthough if I understand things right, processed carbs (at least table sugar from what I've read) also raises cholesterol. So if Atkins followers achieve lower cholesterol leves it might be because they cut out the refined carbs....Please correct me if I'm wrong, I realy want to learn more about this because I have seen a lot of case studies where LCHF-dudes have lowered their cholesterol levels a whole lot and really it seems like the only explanation.

Read a nutrition and physiology book already, it aint hard, go to the back of the book, look up cholesterol, then follow the pages.

I am extreamly fucking bored right now so I will do you this solid, but man you gotta get the knowledge.

When you consume cholesterol it is fat soluble, this means it cannot be transported directly in the blood, since fat is an oil and blood is mostly water, so a transporter protein must carry it through the blood to the cells for use in repair functions ( every cell in your body is part cholesterol, in the cell membrane, we also use this to make hormones like testosterone, estrogen, cortisol, blah blah)

This transport is the roll of LDL and HDL.

LDL transport cholesterol, now typed as CH, from the liver, this is where it goes after the GI track, (hence after you ingest CH) to the body cells. Excessive LDL promotes atherosclerosis, or a condition of a oatmeal like material that narrows and hardens your arteries ( thats the translation of that word)

Where as HDL transports excess CH from your cells to the liver for elimination, hence " good CH" as its known.

So if you eat too much death you will coat your arteries in death.it also causes inflammation of your arteries due to macrophages trying to ingest the LDLs lining your arteries.

So I hope this helps in some way, best thing you could do for yourself though is get to studying.

Study how we injest stuff, what happens to it once ate, and study metabolism, then you will have tons of weapons to fend of the death eaters.

Peace,

Tom

I'm going way back to a genetics class I took in the 1980's here, but this is what we know then (this example is just to make it super easy). In a VERY simple dominant/recessive gene explanation:

25% of people can handle excess dietary cholesterol and their levels won't rise because their feedback loop is perfect

25% of people will have high cholesterol no matter what because they produce too much, regardless of dietary intake

50% of people are somewhere in between and their dietary intake can make a big difference in their levels

We have hereditary high cholesterol in my family. I was 230 at age 21 although I had a high HDH and a low HDH. I'm down to the 170s now. Same with my husband. My mother, who has been vegan for almost 4 years, has not been able to lower her cholesterol by much and she's still in the 200s. So, genetics do matter and age may matter as well. Actually, there are more factors as well, but we could fill a book with that.

What I found

Dietary sources

Animal fats are complex mixtures of triglycerides, with lesser amounts of phospholipids and cholesterol. Consequently all foods containing animal fat contain cholesterol to varying extents.[12] Cholesterol is not present in plant based food sources unless it has been added during the foods preparation.[13] However plant products such as flax seeds and peanuts contain healthy cholesterol-like compounds called phytosterols, which are suggested to help lower serum cholesterol levels.[14] Major dietary sources of cholesterol include cheese, egg yolks, beef, pork, poultry, and shrimp.[13] Human breast milk also contains significant quantities of cholesterol.[15]

"Dietary cholesterol plays a smaller role in blood" cholesterol levels in comparison to fat intake. A number of measures can be taken to reduce blood cholesterol levels through changes in lifestyle, one of which is a change in diet. Trans and saturated fats are significant contributors to elevated cholesterol levels in the blood stream. Avoiding animal products may decrease the cholesterol levels in the body not through dietary cholesterol reduction alone, but primarily through a reduced saturated fat intake. Those wishing to reduce their cholesterol through a change in diet should aim to consume less than 7% of their daily calories from saturated fat and less than 200mg of cholesterol per day.[16]

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3006030#Item_1

American Heart association says

I recently read that eggs aren’t so bad for your cholesterol after all, so I guess I can go back to having my two eggs for breakfast every morning.(one might think)

One egg contains about 213 milligrams of dietary cholesterol. The daily recommended cholesterol limit is less than 300 milligrams for people with normal LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. An egg can fit within heart-healthy guidelines for those people only if cholesterol from other sources — such as meats, poultry and dairy products — is limited. For example, eating one egg for breakfast, drinking two cups of coffee with one tablespoon of half-and-half each, lunching on four ounces of lean turkey breast without skin and one tablespoon of mayonnaise, and having a 6-ounce serving of broiled, short loin porterhouse steak for dinner would account for about 510 mg of dietary cholesterol that day — nearly twice the recommended limit. If you’re going to eat an egg every morning, substitute vegetables for some of the meat, or drink your coffee without half-and-half in the example above. And remember that many other foods, especially baked goods, are prepared with eggs — and those eggs count toward your daily cholesterol limit. People with high LDL blood cholesterol levels or who are taking a blood cholesterol-lowering medication should eat less than 200 mg of cholesterol per day. Learn more about cooking for lower cholesterol.

I guess they imply that food cholesterol intake does have an affect on human cholesterol. I guess there are just scientist out there that want you to believe other wise.

transfats do the same thing because fats get transported through the blood, oil and water dont mix you dig, so these protiens come and surround the droplets of fat and coat them, they are bi-polar, as in the inside portion of the protien loves fats, so it surrounds it, and the outside loves water, so it repels the fats, so what you get is a cool mechanism that forms a ball around the fat untill it runs into another phospholipid bilayer, then it deposits the fat.

The human body rocks.

as for metabolism, the best thing I suggest science wise is get yourself a beginners A and P book and read all about the body before you get to the chapter on metabolism, that way you will understand exactly how things work so when they reference things you totally get it, or get on the chat room when I am on and I will try my best to explain it to you, like a school lesson.

I am sure as a vegan you are better off, and even if you eat all junk food you are at least not harming beings to do it.

This knowledge is just cool to have is all, and you may find you dig it so much you want to do something with it, like go to med school like me.