Best of VB&F 2008 Nominations (Cash prizes for recognition)

robert

I'd like to see some nominations for the BEST of VB&F 2008. This can be whatever comes to mind. We'll take nominations until Dec. 31st and then vote in early January and give the top three people/events $100, $50, and $25 in recognition, as well as other prizes I'm sure I come up with.

So many of you contribute in many ways including with $ ordering clothing and DVDs, so this is one of the many ways I give $ back, as I try to do frequently.

I'll get it started with a few nominations in no particular order:

1. Octopussoir for rising to the top in Vegan Bodybuilding and probably owning the top vegan physique right now dominating the year-long physique competitions.

2. Seasiren for competing nearly 15 times as a vegan athlete in 2008!

3. Jessifly for organizing Vegan Vacation III

4. Richard and SyrLinus for upgrading the forum, stopping the spam and for running the forum.

5. Katabatic for starting this current version of the chat room

6. Vegan Essentials for all of his generous support, supplying contest winners with gift certificates, selling Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness clothing and DVDs, and supporting Vega customers with specials.

7. Hilary Wright for filming a bunch of youtube videos at the Animal Rights Conference that helped put VB&F on the map in D.C. and around the world, exposing us to audiences we hadn't hit yet.

8. RAINRA for stepping up as an unofficial admin/moderator and helping around every corner to make sure VB&F has it's best foot forward and for helping build the D.C. community.

You get the idea.

I will have some more of my own nominations coming again soon. Just in a hurry to head out. But please share other nominations, and like usual, there will often be more prizes.

Giving makes the world go round, and giving back is what I love to do more than anything. I look forward to hearing about those who inspired you to aspire in 2008 here on VB&F.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get some feedback?

I LOVE giving back to this community. I get as much out of it, or more, than you get out of it by winning things, being recognized as champions, etc. I love being able to find ways to give right back to the community that sustains this website.

Please feel free to share any nominations.

We wouldn't be here without Richard....but I may take him off the list, just like I'm not on the list, because he and I are one in the same right now....running this site. But his work will not be overlooked.

Any feedback, or more nominations for the Best of 2008 based on what you saw some of our members do in their personal lives, careers or how they contributed to this community?

Thanks!

Robert

ok, I'll start. Just from my perspective from being on the forum for a short time:

1) Vegan Essentials for his always knowledgable and friendly advice, his generousity, and wicked cool site.

2) DV for her voice of reason and level headed scientific approach to a variety of topics. Her education and knowledge help to de-bunk a lot of myths about the Vegan diet and lifestyle.

3) Veggie Princess for her practical and compassionate approach to her lifestyle.

All are great role models IMO.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Holidays!!

Vegan Essentials, do I need to explain?

Before Wisdom, helping everyone in the intro section that has problems getting started with veganism and debating anti-scientific statements.

DV, she's like a freaking book of knowledge and a really nice person!

Troy, he set a good example that vegans can build a lot of muscle if they follow the same rules as meat eaters. Great diet, strict training.

I would like to add that Hilary has also showed that you can pack up HUGE amounts of muscle really fast as a vegan at the age 50+ and that's really something.

Also, Richard is already mentioned but he has had the best balls related posts this year.

Recognition to xjohanx for being so hot.

Recognition to Lean and Green for being super positive and very encouraging.

Also, general recognition to this forum for being such a great community.

Oh Tuc! He should get creds too. Even though he doesn't hang around here as much these days his progress thread speaks for itself. He started out as a kind of skinny dude and now he's freaking huge. I found his pics very inspiring and so did other forum members.

I don't know. Would hate to leave anyone out. Or make some one feel that I like someone else better than someone else. I will PM you my choices.

I know that's why I haven't gotten a lot of votes cast my way. It not that people don't think that I'm the best on this forum, it just that they don't want to it to be know that they worship someone who is as controversial as myself.

PM me if you agree. LOL

It's not about being "the best on the forum" but about standout moments and ways to give back to people who have contributed in ways that were above and beyond their expectations (like Vegan Essentials giving us hundreds of dollars in certificates, Jessifly for organizing Vegan Vacation, beforewisdom for helping each new member get started knowing where to post, etc.) That kind of stuff.......as well....as those awesome individual accomplishments for veganism outside of the forum, like Seasiren competing more than 10 times as a vegan, helping promote veganism to mainstream people, etc.

It's just a way to highlight some people for some great moments of 2008, not just who is best.......

Same with our "member of the month" it will be for stand out events that people do on the forum or outside the forum that stand out to many of us.

Naw...this one is all about the community and me finding ways to acknowledge people and. I get acknowledgement everyday for running the site and I get money from people buying shirts and DVDs and stuff like that. As we get more popular I get more resources to give back and that is what I'd like to do, highlighting some of the best moments of 2008 and rewarding people for their great work.

I say octo for being big, rainra for giving a shit, L&G for showing what you can do raw, I agree about Tasha, Oh and one more, hmm who was that?

Oh yeah that Zinzen guy, cause he is a walking talking billboard, oh yeah and hes broke as shit and could use the dough

Seriously though, all them people and so many more.

Oh and hells yeah on VE, that dude and his wife do more for Vegans then all of us combined.

Off the top of my head, the list for those who really keep things real and on-track:

Offense

Hilary

VeganEssentials

Johan

Blabbate

VeggiePrincess

SydneyVegan

BeforeWisdom

Gaia

...and numerous others who don't come to mind right now. We really need a few more strong women around here!

I didn't even make it on Robert's top 10 list

But I still get a nomination from Dr P and Zen Zen

You both are too sweet for words

There's too many deducted members to list off

but at the top of my head.

Names come in mind

Richard

SyrLinus

thendanisays

LG

VE

RAINRA

Octo

DV

VeggiePrincess

beforewisdom

xjohanx

Assuming the admins should be on everyone's list ...

DV and VP, of course, for keeping things sane and grounded and setting great examples.

RAINRA for really, honestly caring deeply about what veganism is and should be, for looking for common ground on issues, and for wrangling D.C.

VE for ... well, for VE, and for having one of the most inspiring profile pics and some of the best advice.

Octo and Seasiren for having frighteningly great physiques.

L&G for much the same reason as Octo and SS, but doing it raw to boot.

And there are plenty of others who have been fantastic since I stuck my big dumb nose in here a few months ago:

beforewisdom, xjohanx, jaleel, offense, johan, sydneyvegan, jessifly, zinzen, tasha, mr pink, hilary, tuc, and lots more than I'm sure I'm forgetting.

oh yes, definately Jaleel for that refreshing edge he brings to all things . . . and,

Beforewisdom for a wealth of wisdom

Rainra (the energizer bunny)

Zack for having the coolest name

Dani for keeping the nut in line

L&G for being the nut

Tasha whose name even sounds like a vegan food

Vjoe (for being so old)

Medman and Blabate for being so smart

Pink for a really different perspective on things

Offence for being smart, funny, and wicked cool

Octo of course for making me feel like working out

et all . . .

Of course the admins

Hope Robert is saving his pennies

Edited by hilary wright

Come'on.....I'm trying...I just gave some samples to get started. I really appreciate everyone here and some people did amazing things for this community or for Veganism in 2008 that was beyond expectations and I want to acknowledge, reward and appreciate those intentions and good efforts.