Dr. McDougall's new DVD about protein, soy and fish

robert

I really like Dr. McDougals stuff, but I think he is hysterically anti-soy. His lectures about it remind me of the anti-pot films of the 50s. I've been eating soy since I was 14 ( mostly low tech asian soy foods ). Large amounts of processed soy on a regular basis may harm some people, but after eating soy regularly for over 28 years it is hard to take hysterical warnings about it seriously.

I think acctually Dr Mcdougall likes soy products like soy milk, tofu and maybe TVP. He reccomends some tofus and milks on his website. He just despises the high protein, refined stuff.

He was a guest at Summerfest a few years ago when I was there. If he feels differently about different types of soy foods ( and he may ) he didn't mention it. He came off like a fire and brimstone preacher trying to scare people with stories of extreme effects.

Good link Robert.

Soya is a bean, and as such should be regarded not as its own thing, but part of a family.

It does however cause some extreme adverse effects on some people, especially when eaten in large quantities.

Other beans to my knowledge, do not.

I loved soy for a year or so then it started making my stomach hurt alot.But I was eating 2 shakes a day at 50 grams protein altogether.Also a couple of soya yoghurts, every day.So I made myself intolerant.

I stopped eating it altogether & now, I can get away with eating a couple of yogs, some tofu & will be fine.

I have this DVD but have not viewed it for a few months. As I recall, his main point about soy was that isolated soy protein raises your IGF-1 levels - which may not be healthy. If that's true, then ALL protein powders may be unhealthy as they all increase your IGF-1 levels. Of course, lifting heavy weights will also increase your IGF-1 levels and help you to build mass. The question is: how much of a rise in IGF-1 levels is a good thing and how much is a bad thing? The supplement companies are at one end of the spectrum and right now McDougall is at the other end. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is on this one.

Additionally, I don't know how the studies cited were conducted. Did the subjects eat soy protein isolate foods alone or with other foods that would slow absorption time, thereby decreasing the IGF-1 spike? Is a soy sausage patty worse or the same as a soy powder shake with a cup of blueberries and some ground flax seed? Certainly, isolated nutrients are somewhat foreign to our bodies and that may cause imbalances in our blood chemistry after ingestion. But what does that mean in the long run?

I think McDougall may be onto something here but his video left me with many unanswered questions. I've decreased the amount of isolates that I use but it's sometimes difficult because they're so darn convenient!

I beleive that with everything in life, there must be moderation. You can overtrain and undertrain, you must be moderate. You can overeat as well as undereat, you must be moderate. You can take in too much and too little of most nutrients, you must be moderate. I have seen two registered dieticians and they both stressed the importance of a good diet to me. It is important to have a great diet as a foundaton. They are "supplements" after all and are meant to "supplement" a diet. Also, many studies have suggested that the body absorbs and utilizes "real" food better than supplements. I can support this theory with my own experiences. For example, I know that my whole body feels better if I have a little soymilk in my diet. Without it, I just don't feel as great even if I take a multi, calcium, and/or protein supplement. This is true with other things in my diet that I have experimented with as well. Personally, I have found the more I rely on supplements (I agree that they are very convenient!) the more my health and vibrance degrades. The less I rely on supplements and the more I rely on a great, balanced diet-the better I look and feel.

I would like to note that I have found from personal experience that if I consume too much soy (like at every meal) that I tend to feel more bloated and "puffy." Also, I haven't had much luck with using soy protein isolate and try to stay away from the stuff. I would rather get my nutrients from whole, living foods!

Think about it-process protein shake or a handful of raw almonds and baby carrots? First of all the second is tastier. Second of all, it will give me more energy as a living food!

Before, when soya was my main protein source, the muscle I was growing was quite rounded & not massively defined.Now I have cut out soy from my diet apart from in very occasional times like having tofu for dinner, my whole body is more angular & defined.I also found before I went vegan & ate lots of soya to replace the fish & cheese, I was more defined so the soy had a physical effect imo.

Before, when soya was my main protein source, the muscle I was growing was quite rounded & not massively defined.Now I have cut out soy from my diet apart from in very occasional times like having tofu for dinner, my whole body is more angular & defined.I also found before I went vegan & ate lots of soya to replace the fish & cheese, I was more defined so the soy had a physical effect imo.

I've also found that diet is what got me lean and cut with proper exercise. No supplements or protein powders ever did, even while doing the same exact exercise. Diet is more important as far as getting that look and results, in my experience.

Yeah I just think the type of protein you eat may have an effect on the muscle you grow, as my muscles were rounded while I ate soya, now they are more angular.

It could just be coincidence though, I would be interested to see if there was any truth in it.

I like how this thread is turning. Bodybuilders who do comps know that diet is 98% of how you are going to look on stage (2% for the suit and hair/tan/whitened teeth/makeup/etc.). Just because comp BBers have to know what food does what to their bodies, and how to get defined and cut for that day (now for the day it will be extreme for some, as you do have to dehydrate, but then rehydrate 20 minutes before the prejudging, and keep it there for the night show/or the day after show).

Soya made you hold water, so you get the round full look. You can usually hold water if you are just slightly allergic/intolerant of soy (or perhaps the chemical that they use to extract the protein), and that goes for any other food that you might be slightly allergic to. With me I know it is fruit. I will go off of fruit for 4 weeks, and then pop a juicy strawberry (organic! of course) in before prejudging and watch the sugar flow thru my veins as they pop out (tried glycerin and it worked, but I like the taste of the strawberry better! plus all the antioxidants and lycopene and whatever other phytonutrients we shall uncover in the next coming years).

I meant to say one PINT of strawberries am a bodybuilder after all! One little strawberry wouldn't do it, and I don't know if I could have the control to eat only one when I am in that stage of the game. I also laid out in the sun one time, and became really warm, and saw that all the blood vessels on my abs had popped out! Looked like a tree! It was pretty cool, but went away when I went inside. Moments. . . . . .wonder if I will ever be able to do it again. Gearing up to try again . . as a vegan BBer.