MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthracite Tri - Race Report!!!

Saturday I did a quick 20 minute easy bike and 20 minute easy run with 3 20 second pickups in both sports. Then washed my bike and my friend got him all race ready! We taped the gels on the tube which I am not sure i really like since they scratched my legs up while riding. I did like the salt in the bento box though. I had to do my carb and electrolyte loading. So I made some wafflers, roasted potatoes and tempeh bacon. Then had some vegan pizza for lunch. I made ginger ale with coconut water for the electrolytes. I went to pick up my packet and found out it wouldn't be a wetsuit legal race which had me a little concerned since i've never done the lake swim without my wetsuit on but nothing I could do about it. Also they change the swim start from a beach start to an in water start because the water level was too low to the rocks. I liked this as it made it less crazy. The transistion area was really far from the lake several parking lots away but again it is what it is. Spent the night packing my stuff and trying to sleep. The sleeping did not go well at all! I guess I was nervous.

sunday morning - race day! even more nervous! I had no desire to eat but idid manage a banana. The whole drive down I thought I might throw up. Got to the race site and had about 20 minutes to check in, get marked up and setup my trainsition area. Walking to check in my arms and legs were shaking a little. yeah i was being pretty ridiculous about the whole thing. Got setup in transition and headed down to the water to take a little warmup swim. The water was really warm. they said 82. Felt good not to the wetsuit on for it. I was in wave 2 so I got to watch wave 1 take off before entering the water. I actually got much calmer once my wave walked into the water. treaded water until the gun went off and then I just tried to swim smoothly. I started towards the back of my wave since I am not a strong swimmer. I was ok with the contact which I was worried about going into the race. None of it was really bad. I did have to clear water out of my goggles at least twice which was weird since they were fine on the warmup. Ended up throwing in a little breast stroke at the 1st turn buoys because the girl in front of me was doing that and I couldn't get around her and it because a cluster of bodies around the turn. Then we were swimming directly into the sun and I couldn't see the next buoy to swim to so I was just following the swimmers in front of me since we were all going the same place. Hit a bunch of gross weeds that were tying themselves around me but I kept going and didn't allow myself to freak out. although I did pick some of them off of me when possible. Coming around the last turn the water got really choppy, not sure why but i was being tossed around from it. but we were getting closer to the beach and I was still feeling really good. I never got tired on the swim. Ran out of the water and uphill to the transition area and started feeling it. t1 went smoothly. Headed out on the bike and my garmin wasn't working. So I was playing with that trying to get it to work when I finally realized it was frozen at 10:16 pm saturday night. This has never happened with it before so of course it would happen for my first race. So I had no heart rate monitor, no distance, no cadence, etc for the bike or the run. The bike course was really hilly so I was not killing the pace since I had no idea how much distance was left to cover. At one point I lost the biker in front of me and no one was behind me so I was afraid I actually got off the course. I finally saw a guy on the street and i yelled to him to see if i was still on the course. Luckily I was! I didn't know the area at all and could have done much better on the bike if i knew the course because there were some great downhills but I didn't know where the turns were so I didn't go too crazy on the bike. I was almost done with the bike when I had a little incident where my bike started sliding off the road so I put my hand down on the guardrail to steady my position and just kept riding. I never fell just kept going but my thumb was killing me. It made it really hard to shift my bike so I was doing some interesting contortions to get that done when necessary. I was also not feeling well from the gels on the bike. It wasn't an issue when I tested them out training so it could be how nervous I was. Im not really sure. I took the gels and the salt and I didn't have an issue but I wouldn't be surprised if I threw up from them. Came off the bike still feeling strong. Headed out on the run which ended up being more of a trail run than advertised. Trail running is not my thing but I had to do it. There were four water stations and 2 of them were out of water. all they had was gatorade so I passed on it since I didn't want to get sick and just dealt with the water I could get. The was a big hill on the run that actually didn't feel nearly as bad as the bike climbs I'd already done. I came off the hill and thought I only have 3 miles left to go and I felt really good so im going to start pushing the pace when I tripped over a tree root and went down cutting my hand, arm and leg up. I got right back up and started running. I refused to even look down at myself because I didn't want to know how bad it was I just wanted to finish. I felt like I finished the run strong. I probably could have pushed it more in all aspects of the race. especially the bike and the swim. I did let the ambulance wash off my wounds but they were not really serious. Grabbed a banana and a vega and hung out for awhile. Iced the thumb a bit. After the race I was tired and didn't really do much the rest of the day. But I wasn't really sore just tired. Went to bed early. woke up a little tired but still not really sore and took a rest day monday. Went for an easy 30 minute swim and drills in the pool today. Shoulders were a little tight when I started but overall did fine. going to get my thumb looked at this afternoon even though I think it is fine. I can't grip weights or anything like that because it is swollen and a little bruised up but I don't think it is painful enough for it to be broken.

thanks guys. I don't know my time and race results haven't been posted yet. It was def over 3 hours. I really wanted to use this as a test run and a long training day.

@lobster I was totally thinking about you on one of the hills climbs this guy passes me and starts switchbacking up the road to climb the hill. The roads were open to traffic so a motorist makes a right and starts coming downhills and almost hits this guy as he is crossing over the left side of the road back to the right side. The motorist swerves into my lane so i jumped off my bike for a second but he missed both of us thankfully. I was just thinking what happened to staying to the right side of the road this isn't a closed course you crazy person!

I went to see the Doctor today my thumb is sprained but they took x rays just to be sure it isn't broken. I should get the results tomorrow.

@jason - I did get some pre race nerves before the first road race I did this season because it had been a long time since I did one but for the most part I don't get nervous for those because I know I can make the distance so I don't really have anything to worry about with them. I was probably so nervous because it was the first tri I did. Hopefully I would be as nervous next time.

ty barb!

60 minute bike - 13.54 miles - did some hill climbing since my grip wasn't correct on the bike due to my hand injury did want to do fast riding without good handling.

75 squats with 20lb weight vest - 1:44

got some bad news today the xrays on my hand came back as an avulsion (chip) fracture of the thumb. I go to the orthopedic doctor on friday. I also have heel spurs which is why Ive been having so much pain in my foot for so long now. I am going to do my best to continue to train through all of this. I've had more serious injuries and trained through those but obviously I am not happy about any of it. Nothing I can do about it except deal with it though.

banana

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo w/coconut water

grit tofu

dark chocolate peanut butter

tempeh scramble with swiss chard

thanks so much chewy!

run 6.5 miles

easy pace - heel still hurts! used a silicone gel insert under it, i guess it helped a little but not much.

3 rounds of

1 minute - air squats

1 minute - abmat situps

1 minute - box jumps @ 24 inches

1 minute - back extensions

1 minute - isolated squat hold

1 minute rest

my back was killing me on the squat hold. The legs were shaking and not feeling so good either.

headed to the ortho tomorrow to find out about the hand.

i;ve logged a lot of miles on this bone spurs and have quite a few left to go. I mostly likely will go through the rest of the race season before I deal with them.

swim

4 rounds of (200, 100, 50) rest the interval - I screwed up it was supposed to be 5 rounds of this. I thought I did 5 rounds but when I went back to take the times off my watch i can only find four rounds. I didn't really have time for another round anyway because I had to get to work. I don't really like workouts the are rest the interval because I spend so much time not swimming and they take longer for me to complete which usually puts me in a rush to get to work.

100 warmup and 100 of switch, catch and drag

200 - 3:48 - accidently rested 2.48 before hitting the 100 because i forgot im a slow swimmer and i messed up the time

100 - 1.43

50 - 45

200 - 3.50

100 - 1.43

50 - 45

200 - 3.50

100- 1.41

50 - 45

200 - 3.51

100 - 1.41

50 - 46

headed to the ortho later to find out about my thumb.

ive got the thumb in a splint/removable cast thing for 2 weeks. then i am going to go and get another xray. if it is working i will have to wear this contraption for a few more weeks. if not i will have to get a hard cast on. we're trying to avoid surgery on it. Im going to try to be very good and wear this thing as much as possible and hopefully avoid the torture of a hard cast. i can take it off to shower. I will tape my thumb to my fingers to swim.

5 rounds of

10 meters forward quick feet drill

1o meters backward quick feet drill

50 meters walking lunges

time 11:39

tried to be as accurate as possible on the quick feet drill. did it on a track not an agility ladder.

tired and cranky tonight. didnt want to eat my dinner had a protein shake instead. not sure why maybe the contraption is irritating me already. Reminds me of having to wear the sling for so long after shoulder surgery. im going to try my best to be good.

tried to be as accurate as possible on the quick feet drill. did it on a track not an agility ladder.

Been there. Just recently. You'll make it. you're just going to need to learn to do one arm pushups and pullups in the next 2 weeks!

well i did some 1 arm bike riding today. 25 miles in 1.41.23. Really hoping i only have to do the splint thing for the 4 -6 weeks since i can still get some biking and swimming work done with it and running too. Im just going to have to watch my cf workouts. kinda surprised by my bike time today. I felt like I was riding cautiously because of my grip making the bike handling different. I didn't feel like I was riding all that hard but my time was decent considering the circumstances. It felt so good to be out on my bike.

Did the wyoming valley striders 10K race this morning. It was a fun time. kinda warm normally run earlier in the morning but there were 4 water stations were I took a sip and the rest went over my head. Did ok, my feet were bothering me most of the way. They went numb in the second mile and by the 4th mile they just hurt. I had to grit the last mile out. It's disappointing from the fact that they were my limiting factor. I was not breathing heavy or even felt like I was racing hard. I wasn't tired at any point. Did the ice treatment but they just still hurt. I think my time was 58:03. I have to check the official results because I forgot to stop my garmin and sauntered around with it still going after the race for a bit.

wanted to get a quick pool workout in before i leave town for the beach for a few days. decided to go and give my hand a rest for a bit. had to tape my thumb to swim which hurts to do and feels weird in the water but ill gladly deal with both to keep swimming. 100 warmup and 100 of each drill. workout was 25 hard 25 easy 50 hard 50 easy 75 hard 75 easy 100 hard 100easy 150 hard. time was 13:12. gotta talk to jay about my workouts for the next few days once I figure out what I have access to. def some beach running. if i can find someone to go with maybe ocean swimming. im going to miss my bike!

ran 1 mile warmup then 5 miles on the boardwalk and a cooldown. Then headed to the hotel gym which made me miss the crossfit gym. got some work done but it was hard because there were people using things and it is a really small space.

superset of

20 hanging leg lifts

10 leg presses @ 135, 155,175,195

50 weight assisted pullups with open grip

5 sets of 10 stepups each leg (on gym bench)

50 box jumps onto gym bench

4 sets of 50 ball situps

spent some time in the ocean but mostly on the beach. It's hard with this splint on