Amatuer figure competitor going vegan

Jenwins

Hi everyone! Been trying to post on here for a while, think I've got things figured out now! Thanks Richard for all your help!

My name is Jen, I'm doing a figure show in April in the Midwest. I've competed one season 2.5 years ago but hated how felt with the diet I was on. I'm in the process of switching over to a vegan lifestyle but am struggling with how to fit it in a competition diet. Right now I eat a lot of fish and an occasional chicken breast. I have gotten away from the whey protein powders and am using rice instead. I love how i feel eating this way, but I am 13 weeks out and need to step things up a bit. Any suggestions on where to search on this site and in the forum for help will be much appreciated!

Hi Jen and welcome

Rice protein powder is great because it's raw, personally I prefer hemp. Pea proten is also very popular. Try Vega products, you can't go wrong with this. As well as Larabar. Fruits, greens, grains... Seeds and nuts for other proteins, or if you want lean proteins there's tofu, seitan, tvp, beans...

Welcome to the group! Contest prep is always a fun, interesting and challenging time no matter what the diet...I'm also about 13 weeks out, so I know how you feel, though I haven't altered my diet "too much" yet but have and will continue to do so as I get closer. My training has changed too and I look forward to more changes as time goes on.

We have a handful of competitors here, male and female so seek us out and check in with us.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Weekends are crazy for me and i typically don't get online during them.

SeaSiren, I am doing or judging some shows in the NANBF. Liberty, MO on April 17th, DesMoines, IA may 9th, and my good friends show in Omaha on May 30th. I'm not sure if I will be ready by April so I am playing that one by ear. I might test judge that show and finish up my judging certification. I noticed you recently moved to MI. My home is Lansing! Will be selling our house and moving to the Chicago area this Spring! I'm excited to get back to the Great Lakes! What organizations have shows in MI?

Lean and Green: Macros recommended are as follows: Friday and Sunday are my low days. I do not count my vegi's in my macros. This is different for me, but is working! All the vegi's I need! Med days: Cal 1195, fat 29, carbs 132, protein 102. Low days:Cal 955, fat 29, carbs 72, protein 102. My trainers are not vegan but open. They are also newer trainers and don't have a ton of experience yet. They are friends of mine, a married couple, who have done really well with what experience they have had.

Looking at my menu I'm realizing I'm not doing a very good job of staying off animal products. I guess I was thinking I should transition to an ovo vegetarian diet first. Then start pulling out eggs post comp. I have egg whites every morning for breakfast. So, meals in general:

Breakfast: piece of fruit, egg whites, sometimes oats or quinoa

post w/o snack: soy protein powder (rice was wreaking havoc on my digestive system) and a banana

Lunch: tuna, soy meat, or chic, with a large salad or just fresh vegis

mid afternoon: piece of fruit

dinner: fish, salad, sometimes brown rice

late night: Little bit of raw almond butter.

That's it. Oh, you might need to know, I'm 13 weeks out, 138 lbs and probably around 15% bf. The first time I competed I came in at 13% and was no where close to competitive! I hold everything in my belly, hippy girls can get away with a little more bf if you can see their abs! Not so with me. I really hope you can help!

An easy start would be the substitute the egg whites with scrambled tofu. You can find some great recipes online. Try that for a week, then sub something else out, and you'll be vegetarian or vegan sooner than you know it.

Other suggestions:

-eggs=tofu, avocado

-meat=seeds and nuts, avocado

-lean meat=tofu, tvp, seitan, tempeh, all fake meat (sesame burgers, tofu-dogs, veggie chickn'n breasts, meatless ground beef, etc)

-milk=milk of soy, rice, hemp, almond, pecan, coconut; soy yogurt...

-whey=protein powder of soy, hemp, rice, pea, buckwheat, etc

-protein bars, meal replacements: vega, luna bars, larabar, cliff bars, etc...

-cheats= dark chocolate, chips, So Delicious soy ice cream, Tofutti, etc...

Welcome, Jen!

Hey, please post some pics of your progress while you're on your diet! There aren't too many figure athletics and you might encourage a lot of people!

I'm Your Man in the previous post just told pretty much what I was planning to say. Good luck with the competition!

An easy start would be the substitute the egg whites with scrambled tofu. You can find some great recipes online. Try that for a week, then sub something else out, and you'll be vegetarian or vegan sooner than you know it.

Scrambled with a little turmeric and soy sauce and a lot of nutritional yeast is delicious!

I'm a little concerned about too much soy. I don't mind some but it just seems with all the recommendations its a bunch. I thought too much soy is hard on the kidneys. Anyone have any research articles they can point me to?

THE BEST article about soy!

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/soy_whats_the_big_deal

It's just food among others, nothing else. No miracle curing effects. No adverse effects even if you consume quite a lot of it (unless you're allergic).

The most important thing is that you are on the right track already and you have to goal of eliminating all animal products. We have been there, at least I was. You will see that it is not as hard s it looks, do some more research if you feel like doing so and just go for it. You will never regret of that step. Becoming vegan is the most meaningful thing I've done in my life and it was not even hard.

When you go vegan you will look back and realize that it wasn't difficult, it just LOOKS difficult but it isn't.

Good luck and welcome!