Stevia... Good or bad?

RAINRA

Without having done any research, and I've only read a few articles on this subject from magazines of alternative medicine, natural foods, etc... And I've never heard of a study saying stevia is harmful.

I think it's a better choice than Aspartam, Sucralose! and other chimic stuff like that. Aspartam/Nutra-Sweet is from Monsanto and this company never produced a single thing which is not harmful.

If you absolutely want a calorie free sweetener, go for stevia, but like for everything else, moderation rules.

But I would suggest sweeteners that we know for sure they're good, because it's food, with calories: maple syrup, agave nectar... the sweetener I consider the best is fruit: fruit coulis, fruit juice, etc, rather than fructose syrup fro instance.

You can't go wrong with fruits.

Without having done any research, and I've only read a few articles on this subject from magazines of alternative medicine, natural foods, etc... And I've never heard of a study saying stevia is harmful.

I think it's a better choice than Aspartam, Sucralose! and other chimic stuff like that. Aspartam/Nutra-Sweet is from Monsanto and this company never produced a single thing which is not harmful.

If you absolutely want a calorie free sweetener, go for stevia, but like for everything else, moderation rules.

But I would suggest sweeteners that we know for sure they're good, because it's food, with calories: maple syrup, agave nectar... the sweetener I consider the best is fruit: fruit coulis, fruit juice, etc, rather than fructose syrup fro instance.

You can't go wrong with fruits.

Stevia is fine.

IYM I don't get your logic, you recommend Maple Syrup and Agave which both come from plants, yet you don't recommend Stevia which is also a plant

Personally I don't like the taste of Stevia I think it is pretty nasty

Maple syrup is heated and it is glycemic

so is agave nectar. Some people tested their blood sugar after eating it and it did raise their blood sugar.

So I was looking for something that did not.

Agave nectar GI varies by fructose level, but generally is incredibly low, between 10 and 25. Maple syrup is much higher, around 50-60, similar to many grains and fruits. The Glycemic Research Institute claims Stevia has a positive GI, but doesn't provide a study, so I don't know what to make of that. All other sources claim an effective GI of zero. It's probably the safest choice.

Stevia is fine.

IYM I don't get your logic, you recommend Maple Syrup and Agave which both come from plants, yet you don't recommend Stevia which is also a plant

Personally I don't like the taste of Stevia I think it is pretty nasty

I think stevia is fine too. My logic was just that there are better choices, like fruits, but they contain sugar and calories; and that stevia is still a fairly new product on the market and we don't know much about it yet... but that's for America... In Europe they use it since way longer and many studies have been made, I heard it's safe, and that it can even help to drop sugar level to normal.

I think stevia is a fantastic zero-calorie sweetener and with a low GI; in fact, it's the ideal low calorie sweetener, because it's natural, while all the others are synthetic shit like Aspartame or Splenda, which inocuity is highly contested.