Ask A Supplement Store Employee

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got that phrase. Technically EVERYTHING you eat is rotting in your colon....

Yeah, but some things seem to rot a whole lot longer than others. If you ever want a real treat, check out the photo galleries over at www.drnatura.com - but be sure to go long after you've eaten, because you're bound to see some things that might just make you less than thrilled about any upcoming meals

SR what about atrophex from BSN, can you find that out for me.

I am sure the capsule aint good, but what about the actual stuffs.

I don't want to start a holy war, but what difference does it make? You'd still be buying an animal product if it's just a gel cap or contains other animal ingredients. Buying and throwing out the gelatin part doesn't make it vegan.

SR what about atrophex from BSN, can you find that out for me.

I am sure the capsule aint good, but what about the actual stuffs.

I had emailed BSN quite some time ago regarding product information but they never replied. I didn't see a number on the website, but the product itself does have a number. The customer service rep was unable to answer this question. He put a ticket in for me to the research team, and one of them will call me back when they get an answer.

So, as of now, I am unsure...and so is much of BSN!

I honestly think BSN products are not vegan, apart from maybe the Cellmass.

I think that most companies that don't bother using veggie caps or plant derived stearic acid are not going to be concerned about whether the rest of their ingredients are vegan friendly.

BSN target the typical bodybuilder type who couldn't care less about what they put in their bodies as long as they get massive (which I doubt BSN products would really help with anyway). They aren't aimed at the more conscientious consumer

I honestly think BSN products are not vegan, apart from maybe the Cellmass.

I think that most companies that don't bother using veggie caps or plant derived stearic acid are not going to be concerned about whether the rest of their ingredients are vegan friendly.

BSN target the typical bodybuilder type who couldn't care less about what they put in their bodies as long as they get massive (which I doubt BSN products would really help with anyway). They aren't aimed at the more conscientious consumer

"Most" companies is right. The leader of the research and development team at MRI is actually a vegan. However, their HSP Active does contain gelatin because using veggie cellulose to make the capsule would interfere with the product, as you cannot consume ANY fiber with the active ingredient (Tex-OE). I was talking with him and he said he attended a seminar where seaweed-based caps are almost certainly going to be more popular.

Anyway, if MRI can have a gelatin-cap but otherwise be mostly vegan, we can't judge companies by their capsules.

Circumstances like that are a little out of the ordinary in the mainstream bodybuilding industry. I appreciate the innovation some (very few) companies strive for but for the most part, most supplements suck and most companies couldn't care less about where their materials are sourced from and really, about the consumer in general

most supplements suck and most companies couldn't care less about where their materials are sourced from and really, about the consumer in general

I understand that. What I was trying to illustrate with the MRI example is that each company must be investigated instead of assuming they're just bad guys. For example, Starbucks does a heck of a lot for the local schools (book drives and fund raising), the environment (they cut down on plastic as much as possible), and the growers (in exchange for beans, they build schools and hospitals and train the locals to be educators, doctors, and dentists). Just because a big corporation is, well, a big corporation doesn't automatically mean that they're evil. I guess what I'm saying is that it's never good to be prejudiced...even against faceless companies

What do you think about Udo's oil. Any better than vega oil or even cheaper regular oils?

Because it is in a gelatin capsule, I would not recommend it to a vegan. Outside of that, it seems to be a very interesting blend of oils. Remember, just because it's listed as an omega-6 doesn't mean that they do the same thing. Each oil, like fruits/veggies/nuts/grains, has its own properties. For example, the omega-6 in primrose oil helps women during both labor (when applied topically) and menopause, but other sources of omega-6 are not known for this.

Because of the price and the gelatin, I think you would be better off creating your own oil concoction and taking a teaspoon of that a day to supplement.