Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure yet. Still waiting on the final job offer - it is taking them awhile to do my background check since all of my records are in Canada and apparently we have more stringent privacy laws.

They originally wanted me to start June 7th, but considering I haven't accepted the job yet and the immigration process hasn't been started, I'm doubting that's feasible. Not sure how long immigration takes, my hiring manager said she would check into HR about that. Honestly I would probably prefer to move late June/early July. Gives me time to get things in order. Husband probably won't be moving down until September.

I've been doing a lousy job keeping this log up to date this week.

Monday, May 10th & Tuesday, May 11th:

Didn't do anything. Whenever I get stressed I stop working out. Which is stupid because working out helps alleviate some of the stress. Need to work on that.

Wednesday, May 12th:

AM: 3.01 mile run (27:30)

PM: played frisbee

Thursday, May 13th:

Afternoon: 45 min. bike ride

PM: ran some errands on my mountain bike (~20 min.), played frisbee

Friday, May 14th:

AM: 5.34 mile run (52:01)

Headed to the in-laws this evening. There is a town close to where they live that is having a duathlon on Sunday. So we'll stay at the in-laws Fri and Sat night and then I will race Sun morning. It's a sprint (2.5k/20k/5k)

Sunday, May 16th - Sprint Duathlon:

Came in 9/10, but to be fair the 10th person was a DNF, so I guess technically I came in last. But I won my age group, haha (there was only 1 other woman in the sprint and she was in a different age group. All of the other women were doing a "try-a-du" which was half of the sprint distance).

1st Run (2.5k): 13:28 (includes T1)

Paced myself well, resisted the urge to try and keep up with all of the fast people

Bike (20k): 54:50 (includes T2)

Oh my gosh this sucked. I bonked. Big time. It was really hot and sunny out and I haven't trained in the heat. Up until now it's been cold and damp. This sucked big time.

2nd Run (5k): 33:14

I was surprised at my time for this. It felt like it took FOREVER. I had nothing left after bonking on the bike. I had to stop and walk a few times.

Pre-race:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/lobsteriffic/IMG_0523.jpg

Right about to start:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/lobsteriffic/IMG_0540.jpg

First run:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/lobsteriffic/IMG_0542.jpg

T1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/lobsteriffic/IMG_0549.jpg

Haha, I will still be a Canadian, I'll be a nonimmigrant on a temporary work visa. As much as I love the weather, not sure I want to go for permanent residence. We'll see after a couple of years.

Thanks you guys! And you're right Jason, I learned my lesson and I also know now that I need to hit the bike training in the HEAT instead of the cold and snow!

your body wasn't acclimated to the heat for sure. a little dehydrated maybe. How about an electrolyte drink or something for next time?
There's a good idea! Again, well done for finishing. You could've just gave up but you didn't. Let's come back stronger and do better next time

Yeah, I probably should of had a sports drink with me or something like that. I've never used Gatorade, etc. I've heard you can use watered down fruit juice with some salt in it, not sure if that actually works.

Trust me, I really wanted to quit during the second run! But then I said I drove all this way to race and how lame would it be to go back home say I didn't finish, so I stuck it out.

yes you can do the fruit juice thing. I don't do gatorade cuz it made out of crap. I use coconut water for my electrolytes. Here I can get in the grocery story. You probably can too if you look for it. If not every health food store Ive been in has it. i blend it up with some other things to make nice tasty drinks. I got the recipes out of the thrives books by brendan brazier.

i like it much better cold. I've had it warm but only when it was mixed with something else and that was ok but i don't think it would taste all that great warm by itself. you can always put ice in it? or you can buy salt stick or any of the electrolyte tabs that you can just pop with water. like from hammer nutrition.

Oh, and I'm not actually Dr. Lobster yet...but I should have a draft handed in by the end of May! What area of psych are you in?

Social psych. Back when I didn't have two teaching jobs and had time to do research, it was generally on the topic of the relationship of emotions to judgment/decision-making/problem-solving (e.g., Hirt, Melton, McDonald, & Harackiewicz in JPSP in '96--I'm the second author). What's your dissertation about?

Oooh, JPSP! Prestigious!

I'm in social/forensic psych myself. My dissertation is looking at public views toward the criminal justice system and how educating the public about how the system actually works can change those views (usually people have very strong, negative views, but these views are generally based on misinformation that is far from accurate). I'm handing in my official first draft next week!!

Mary thanks for the tips about the tabs. I'm just thinking in a tri whatever drink is on my bike is probably going to be warm by the time I get to it. But maybe I could freeze it first and then it would be cold. Hmm.

Monday, May 17th:

Noon: 35 minute swim

Tuesday, May 18th:

3.62 mile run (35:41)

Kind of muggy out.

Wednesday, May 19th:

35 min. commuting around town on mountain bike

Thursday, May 20th:

Commuted around on my mountain bike...decided to go exploring on my way home...about 5 miles out of my way. Probably around 1:10 total time. Not sure on mileage. Lots of these little gnat-like bugs out, had to wash a lot of bug guts off of my face. Hardcore.

Got home just in time...a hail storm started right after!

It's been hard working in training this week...the clock is ticking down on handing in a draft of my dissertation. Eep.

Saturday, May 22nd:

7.07 mile run (1:17:32) - Took it pretty slow. I found this network of running trails down by the river that I didn't even know existed. It was really early out so nobody else was around...just me and a bunch of geese. Very nice.

thanks!

Monday, May 23rd:

AM: 4.3 mile run (44:42)

Felt like I could have pushed the pace more. Made sure to run up most hills I saw.

PM: Short 14.52 mile bike ride (1:05:52)

Was stuck on a really crappy road for awhile so I had to go slow. Had fun getting up to speed once I hit a patch of good pavement. I realize I've been neglecting my bike lately...need to get back at it.

Tuesday, May 25th:

Went to a 60 min. 'spin and sculpt' class at the gym. The first 30 min. were spin. That was fine and dandy. The 30 min. 'sculpt' portion was pretty much useless...mostly isolation moves that aren't going to do much of anything. Next time I will just go for the first half of the class and then leave and go do my own thing with the weights.

I had good intentions to go swimming today as I have been slacking off in that department. I ended up getting into a groove writing my dissertation and skipped it. When the writing is good I tend to just go with it as I have been having writer's block lately. Bad news - didn't go swimming. Good news - first draft of my dissertation is DONE! I'm handing it in tomorrow. Which means that I can finally see a glimmer of light at the end of this looooong tunnel.

I really need to get my act together in terms of a consistent training schedule...I'm having trouble fitting in strength training. The next month is going to be nuts though and I'm not sure I'll be able to stick to any sort of a schedule. I have a trip planned and then moving to another country....arrrrgh.

It's been a long time since I've noticed, but what sort of things are you doing on the bike (trainer, or outside, not so much in class) these days? Did you get enough of a base in for the intensity to start, or are you in the "race into shape" camp?

just curious. you seem to be doing well.