Kombucha Thread

robert

So good. I hate when you get a flat one though. I want that sucker to explode, and spew lactobacilli all over the place when you open it.

Robert, what brand/flavor are you into? I've only had GT's. My favorite flavors are divine grape, passionberry bliss, and mystic mango.

Whole Foods is the only place that sells them around here, and they cost $3.69

Love it! Although I do hate when they explode and the place smells like vinegar. I didn't like it when I first had it either. I started mixing it into smoothie with fruit and VEGA smoothie infusion and then I started to like it. Gives the smoothies an interesting fizz quality and the fruit sweetens it up to. Never made my own though.

Not sure if the health benefits outweigh the alcohol. I believe my health is fine without it, but I haven't done extensive research on it. Maybe there's some amazing benefit to it that I should really be getting. On the other hand, my personal belief system includes abstaining from alcohol, so I probably wouldn't start drinking it. I still think it's interesting though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Due to the acidic fermentation process used in its brewing, Kombucha contains ethyl alcohol in amounts that vary from 0.5% to 1.5%[6], depending on anaerobic brewing time and proportions of microbe. Commercial preparations are typically 0.5% for distribution and safety reasons.

Health Claims

A review of the published literature on the safety of kombucha suggests no specific oral toxicity in rats,[7] although it has also been shown to increase the size of both the liver and spleen in mice.[8] While no randomized case-controlled studies have been published in humans, several case reports have suspected liver damage, metabolic acidosis and cutaneous anthrax infections. [9] Other reports suggest that care should be taken when taking medical drugs or hormone replacement therapy while regularly drinking kombucha.[10] It may also cause allergic reactions. [11]

Other health claims may be due to the simple acidity of the drink, possibly influencing the production of stomach acids or modifying the communities of microorganisms in the GI tract. For example, anecdotal reports suggest better experience with foods that 'stick' going down such as rice or pasta. This is mostly due to relief of stomach gas responsible for preventing proper digestion.[citation needed]

Scientific Claims

Health claims for kombucha focus on a chemical called glucuronic acid, a compound that is used by the liver for detoxification. The idea that glucuronic acid is present in kombucha is based on the observation that glucuronic acid conjugates (glucuronic acid + waste chemicals) are increased in the urine after consumption of kombucha.

Early chemical analysis of kombucha brew suggested that glucuronic acid was the key component, and researchers hypothesized that the extra glucuronic acid would assist the liver by supplying more of the substance during detoxification. These analyses were done using gas chromatography to identify the different chemical constituents, but this method relies on having proper chemical standards to match to the unknown chemicals. A more recent and thorough analysis, outlined in the book in Analysis of Kombucha Ferments by Michael Roussin.[12] suggests a different explanation. Roussin reports on an extensive chemical analysis of a variety of commercial and homebrew versions of kombucha, and finds no evidence of glucuronic acid at all. These scientific measurements contradict the earlier studies and conflict with the original hypothesis.

Instead, Roussin discovered that the active component in kombucha is most likely glucaric acid. This compound, also known as D - glucaro -1,4 lactone, helps in the elimination of glucuronic acid conjugates that are produced by the liver. When glucuronic acid conjugates are disposed in the bowel during the elimination process, normal gut bacteria can break up these conjugates using an enzyme called beta-glucuronidase. Glucaric acid is an inhibitor of this bacterial enzyme, so the end result is that the glucuronic acid + waste is properly eliminated the first time, rather than being reabsorbed and detoxified over and over. Thus, glucaric acid probably makes the liver more efficient.

Interestingly, glucaric acid is commonly found in fruits and vegetables, and is being explored independently as a cancer preventive agent.[13] It has also been discovered that the bacterial beta-glucuronidase enzyme can interfere with proper disposal of a chemotherapeutic agent, and that antibiotics against the gut microbiota can prevent toxicity of some chemotherapy drugs (http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/56/16/3752.)

Reports of adverse reactions may be related to unsanitary fermentation conditions, leaching of compounds from the fermentation vessels,[14] or "sickly" kombucha cultures that cannot acidify the brew. Cleanliness is important during preparation, and in most cases, the acidity of the fermented drink prevents growth of unwanted contaminants. If a culture becomes contaminated, it will most likely be seen as common mold, green or brown in color.

Not sure if the health benefits outweigh the alcohol. I believe my health is fine without it, but I haven't done extensive research on it. Maybe there's some amazing benefit to it that I should really be getting. On the other hand, my personal belief system includes abstaining from alcohol, so I probably wouldn't start drinking it. I still think it's interesting though.

Didn't mean to offend. I was just posing a question. I don't buy into all the litter on the label - i just think it taste good when I crave something carbonated.

Oh, Ripely. She hates the Kombucha cultures. But seriously, the first time I watched the scene where they dissected the face-hugger, I threw up pizza everywhere. That was a birthday to remember.

Yay for people getting the Aliens Reference

Alien and Aliens - 2 of the best sci-fi movies ever.