Newbie :)

SheThrowsDown

I've actually been a member here under this username (and an old one I never really posted with) for a bit, but have never introduced myself or even posted.

So here's the long version

My name is Christina. Some call me Christi, that's fine too. I'm a 23 year old wife and mother of two. My husband's name is Alex. My son, Jacob, is two and a half. My daughter, Summer, is almost eight months old. I live in Western NC, more specifically right outside of west Asheville.

Before having my son I began working out here and there, but not even enough to get a gym membership. After having him I decided to start working out on a more regular basis. My goal was to do fitness competitions or fitness modeling (since I had previous print modeling experience). I soon found out I was pregnant with my daughter and didn't go to the gym as often. Not because I couldn't, I just didn't feel like going to be honest. During the time I was pregnant I started reevaluating my fitness goals. I went to watch a pro competition and decided that just wasn't exactly what I was hoping to be my end goal. I spent a lot of time researching and whatnot. For a while I had been going to watch my husband do BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and had thought it looked fun, and eventually I also began watching mixed martial arts. Before UFC was big and MMA was more of an underground thing I had a few people tell me that I should try it...but I didn't know much about it and wasn't really up for it.

Then during that time of reflection on my goals I decided hey...why not? After Summer was born I started working out again. Not as hard as I could have, but on a regular basis. Long story short, at this point I've started training more seriously to eventually compete in female MMA. I learn lots of BJJ From my husband and plan on doing more classes soon at the gym that he goes to. I do boxing at home (we have a heavy bag in our garage) as well as doing some at an MMA gym. I also take boxing conditioning classes twice per week.

My biggest goal right now, short term, is finding a registered dietitian who can help me work more on my eating. I know I eat healthy but my trainer is wanting me to go see one to give me an actual personalized meal plan.

Whew so that's the fitness part of it all, now onto the veganism!

I became a vegetarian at age 11. I joined the local college's animal rights group and began doing protests and whatnot. Around age 16-17 I chose to become vegan. Since then I've been vegan other than during my pregnancies when I chose to be an omni. At that time I didn't know much about having a vegan pregnancy and didn't want to do something I was uncomfortable about my knowledge of. So instead I just chose to be omni. If I ever had another pregnancy, which I don't want lol, I would this time be vegan since I have now researched veganism and pregnancy to the point I'd be comfortable with it.

I'm part of my city's local vegetarian society (which is mostly vegan) and I was supposed to throw a VegFest this year. However it has been postponed due to my father being diagnosed with colon cancer, I just couldn't do it.

Well I guess that's the jist of it!

So hi!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Christi

Training at home is fun if it's under the right set of circumstances, for me at least Sounds like you have a good thing going training with your husband.

Since 11, that's so cool. I didn't even hear of vegetarianism let alone veganism until is was out of college already. The idea was completely foreign to me.

It's great to have you hear and I want to add to the 'welcoming committee' a big hello and a warm welcome.

Loved reading your intro ; hope to see your posts around while i'm doing my thing