Protein / carb / fat ratios

gee

Hello,

I tried computing a bit my ratio on fitday for an average day and it does not seem so good for a bulk so I'm not sure...

I am about 6'1, between 150 and 160 lbs (I was almost 180lbs two years ago ).

total calories: 2,750

fat: 114.8g

carbs: 335.5g

protein: 129.1g

which gives a ratio of Fat(36%) / Carbs(47%) / Protein(16%).

The biggest issue I see is that any food rich in protein beside tofu or powder is either rich in fat (nuts) or in carbs (beans).

So when I'm trying to get protein I'm already getting the 2 others, add to that some oil and a lot of fruits + complex carbs (rice, wheat, oats...) and bam!

Any comment?

Also I'm still not sure of how much protein I need per day. Daywalker's post on bulking seems to say between 1g and 2g per Kg should be very fine. On some other pages someone says between 1g and 2g per lb...

Thanks

1.5g but per what? kg or lb?

I used to eat a lot of seitan, but it's not really whole food so I thought of dropping it for something that felt more natural. And I'm already getting 40g of protein from powders so I think that's enough there too...

As for Tofu, Miso and edammame I should probably get more of those I guess.

Although I'ver never seen miso outside of miso soup, or miso paste.

Thanks

Alright, let's do this.

This is a sample, not every day is the same, expect for the morning shake and the dates....

1- Breakfast, A shake, about half of it for breakfast, about half of it for after hitting the gym (before work):

-2 mediums bananas

-2 servings of hemp / brown rice / pea protein powder +stevia from trueprotein.org (about 40g of protein for about 60g total)

-0.5 cup of frozen berries

-0.5 cup of frozen pineapple

-0.5 cup of frozen spinach

-1 tea spoon of maca

-1 table spoon of ground flax seeds

-(before 1 table spoon of coconut oil, but since I finished it I did not buy it again...)

-0.5 cup of grape fruit juice (not sweetened, only 100% fruit juice, but not fresh....)

-0.25 cup of aloe vera juice

-1 to 2 teaspoons of inulin

I used to add oats, but now I'm trying to keep it to simple carbs, to not make my body use too much energy while I'm at the gym...

I will add later spirulina and chlorella (which would add 7-15g of protein) but I first want to see what my current diet is doing...

I think this does not have a lot of fat, but at the same time for breakfast and post workout it may be a good thing...

Also I'm thinking of making the whole thing a bit bigger, but I am running out of ideas as to what I should add now

2- After working out:

The 'rest' of the shake + 4 dates

3- Lunch:

- some red / green beans + chickpeas + tofu + spinach, difficult to estimate how much as I get it from a salad bar, I would say about half a medium plate.

- some black olives

- maybe some carrots, or grains if I did not fill the plate too much already (and if the grains are not white flour)

- a table spoon of olive oil

- some vinegar either balsamic or red wine

- some fresh lemon juice (as dressing for the salad).

- maybe some fruit salad or a banana or small apple if I'm still hungry.

4- Afternoon snack:

- 20-30 soaked almonds, 20-30 cashews, probably 100 pumpkin seeds, (maybe also 20-30 soaked hazelnuts just bought that, but that's a lot of nuts to eat at once, I'm never able to eat that many yet )

- 1 small apple

5- Diner:

- 1 cup of cooked lentils

- maybe a slice a of Ezekiel bread, or a whole wheat tortilla or such if I feel hungry

- maybe 2 table spoons of hummus or peanut/almond/cashew butter.

- half a block of sprouted-base tofu (about 20g of protein)

- kale or/and spinach

- maybe a tomato

- maybe some green olives

- a tea spoon of ground flax seeds

- a table spoon of olive oil or sesame oil

- some vinegar either cider or rice

- some grapefruit juice (as dressing for the salad)

- maybe some agave nectar (as dressing for the salad)

- some spices (mint, oregano, basil, etc)

- a fruit or a bowl or grapes

If my dinner is not packed with grains (ie 45+g), I will usually feel quite hungry in the morning but it is supposed to not be so good to eat that much carbs at night so I'm trying to go low on that now...

That's about one day + water.

I believe same as Daywalker regarding protein. Yours is low. For protein 1g is minimum and 2g max (I try to hit about 1.5) IMO

Try:

Protein Powder, Seitan, Tempeh, Tofu, TVP, Miso and Edamme

I agree 16% of calories from protein is to low.

I personally shoot for approximately:

Fat: 20-25%

Carbs: 45%

Protein: 30-35%

I'm not trying to bulk, I need to loss BW fat. I'm not giving you advice for carb/fat ratios, I'm just saying what works for me.

If you're trying to bulk, I wouldn't worry about putting some kind of limit on them because of the carbohydrates, beans are a great bulk food . Also, if you plan on eating that many nuts/seeds a day, I would space it between 2 meals, just to space out your fat intake a little more (I used to eat far too many nuts/seeds at a time, and I started feeling a lot better once I started spacing it out and cutting down my intake of them a bit).

Ah see this is where the fun part comes in. What works for guy #1 may not work for you.

Some hard set rules to begin with are:

Protein

Should be 1.5g~ x bodyweight (lbs) for naturals and around 2g x bodyweight for enhanced trainee's.

Like Odidnetne mentioned, space your fats throughout your day. Don't get to fixated on measuring anything except keeping track of your protein intake. Good carbs are a bulkers friend, don't be afraid of them.

I used to do the 1g, bumped it up to 2 and backed it off to 1.5. Huge difference for me, so I found the "magic number" for my personal protein intake.

(on a side note, I get over 40g in one pp shake and I'm 5'5" 120-125 os )

xjohanx- I have seen that pic before..... love it, love it, love it!

Should be 1.5g~ x bodyweight (lbs) for naturals

Wow, no clue how I'd begin to get that much protein even including my post workout shakes. That puts me at 198g of protein per day. Whereas if I do 35% of my calories from protein (trainer has me at 1500 calories) my math is putting me at only 132g.

If you're trying to bulk, I wouldn't worry about putting some kind of limit on them because of the carbohydrates, beans are a great bulk food .

Also, if you plan on eating that many nuts/seeds a day, I would space it between 2 meals, just to space out your fat intake a little more (I used to eat far too many nuts/seeds at a time, and I started feeling a lot better once I started spacing it out and cutting down my intake of them a bit).

1- Alright, that's probably how I got to the 180lbs back then. I was eating a crazy amount of carbs.

2- I try to eat all those nuts, but I cannot, it's just WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. That was one easy way of getting protein for snacks, but it does not sound like a good plan anymore... Maybe I should switch to something else for my '4th' 'meal'.

Thanks

Ah see this is where the fun part comes in. What works for guy #1 may not work for you.

Some hard set rules to begin with are:

Protein

Should be 1.5g~ x bodyweight (lbs) for naturals and around 2g x bodyweight for enhanced trainee's.

Like Odidnetne mentioned, space your fats throughout your day. Don't get to fixated on measuring anything except keeping track of your protein intake. Good carbs are a bulkers friend, don't be afraid of them.

I used to do the 1g, bumped it up to 2 and backed it off to 1.5. Huge difference for me, so I found the "magic number" for my personal protein intake.

(on a side note, I get over 40g in one pp shake and I'm 5'5" 120-125 os )

I guess I would fall in the naturals category.

As for the rest, ok I see, I'll be adding more carbs then

Are complex carbs still good for my dinner if I'm trying to bulk? Would 60+g be too much?

I've read that it was bad for a good rest, and also bad for the growth hormone that's not being released till you are done with your digestion.

As for 40+g per shake, hmmm maybe I should up mines by a bit then. I guess I could add 3 servings instead of 2 to my shake, which would give about 30g per half for now, and about 40g once I add the other things.

Should be 1.5g~ x bodyweight (lbs) for naturals

Wow, no clue how I'd begin to get that much protein even including my post workout shakes. That puts me at 198g of protein per day. Whereas if I do 35% of my calories from protein (trainer has me at 1500 calories) my math is putting me at only 132g.

Yes that is an interesting remark.

Those are my numbers:

For my weight I would need about 225g of protein per day.

That's about 787 Calories.

If that is around 35% for me too, I would need 2248 Calories per day, which is quite less that what I'm already taking in I'm a bit lost here for sure.

Also guys, if you have any other tip / replacement to do on my meals, please tell me

Thanks

Yes that is an interesting remark.

Those are my numbers:

For my weight I would need about 225g of protein per day.

That's about 787 Calories.

If that is around 35% for me too, I would need 2248 Calories per day, which is quite less that what I'm already taking in I'm a bit lost here for sure.

Yes on 225, you mentioned you were taking in 129.1g currently. To remaining cals would be in fats and carbs

Why would you take in less cals?

Well that would be less cals if I say those 225g should represent 35% of my diet, the full thing would be about 2250 Calories per day.

I guess I am eating a lot of carbs today and get almost 3000 calories per day...

It looks like this may be even more confusing that before.

I bought some more tofu, some more seitan to improve that...

Also I added one more scoop of protein powder to the shake, but I am not sure if that's a wise choice.

Also I hardly eat any grains anymore and I don't think that's good, but for a cup legumes will have much more protein than grains...