Protein question

I am a new vegan and I was reading throught the information here about protein. Can enough protein be gotten from foods alone without using concentrated proteins and powders? I am allergic to soy and did not really want to use powders if I do not need to.

Going from eating fish and egg whites to legumes and seeds and nuts, I want to make sure I get enough.

I am a new vegan and I was reading throught the information here about protein. Can enough protein be gotten from foods alone without using concentrated proteins and powders? I am allergic to soy and did not really want to use powders if I do not need to.

Going from eating fish and egg whites to legumes and seeds and nuts, I want to make sure I get enough.

Well you're in luck because I don't take any powders or supplements with the exception of b-12 and I work out at least 5 days a week sometimes twice a day.

Beans provide almost the same amount of protein as meat and is lower in fat and calories. 1cup of beans can range between 12-25 grams of protien. Also almonds are about 82% protein, peanut butter 76% and cashews 71%. Veggies like asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower are high in protein as well.

The RDA for adults is 0.8 grams of protein for each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. This works out to 44 grams for a 120 pound person. So with three meals or maybe even 2 your likely to surpass that amount if you really want to.

Hope you enjoy knowing that this won't be difficult and there are only rewards for the compassionate! Good Luck to you!

Recommend protein for the average Adult:

Female over 25: 50grams per day

Male over 25: 63grams per day

It's very easily done, so no worries.

Higher protein foods:

Beans, Legumes, Nuts, Nut Butters, Seitan, Whole Wheat, Quinoa, Flax Seed, Oat Bran

Also keep in mind, veggie have protein and many fruits as well. Eating a varied diet with all the food groups (google vegan food pyramid) will ensure you will easily consume enough protein.

Male over 25: 63grams per day

And for cutting it should be about 3 times that, so it's still a concern...

The OP didn't mention goals.

Niether did I mention goals. I took that info from Dr."somebody" and i think he was referring to a average person. I didn't want to discourage our new vegan here. I personally took your advice SIREN and take about 1.5 g of protien per lb. daily for some days now prior to that I took 1g. Nevertheless, I wanted our new vegan friend not feel discourage and get the info on what great variety of foods would offer the protien they're worried about.

Niether did I mention goals. I took that info from Dr."somebody" and i think he was referring to a average person. I didn't want to discourage our new vegan here. I personally took your advice SIREN and take about 1.5 g of protien per lb. daily for some days now prior to that I took 1g. Nevertheless, I wanted our new vegan friend not feel discourage and get the info on what great variety of foods would offer the protien they're worried about.

lol, no worries Hun!