Pea Protein vs Gemma Pea Protein

The question is:

What are the key differences in pea protein when in comparison to the gemma pea protein derivative?

Also, for anyone who has tried TP's unflavored gemma protein, is it tasty? If not then what would you recommend as flavoring to give it a more pleasant taste? I'm about to finish off my 2lb trial of gemma with the banana bash premium flavor which is very tasty. Before I run out I'd like to make my next purchase but this stuff is starting to become expensive and I'd like to cut my costs for anything that's not necessary such as the protease complex and possibly the flavoring.

I'm pretty sure that they are exactly the same. I think they just call it gemma for marketing. (Better than thinking "Urine Protein")

Keep spending the money on the premium flavoring, IMO. The plain gemma isn't bad, but it's a bit dusty tasting and as you probably know gets thick easily, which is not very good if the flavoring isn't right. I've switched to doing a mix of rice and gemma to make it more mixable in water.

I say this assuming that you're just mixing with water or a milk-like drink. If you're making fruit smoothies you can get away without flavoring, or at least with the free flavoring.

Their new protease enzyme complex is really good at preventing bloating and gas for me. I was debating dropping their old stuff, but the new one is excellent. I don't bother with the vitamin additive.

If you poke around on their forums you can grab someone's referral code for 5% off. Depending on how much you order it almost covers shipping.

I'd have to definitely agree with you about gemma's texture, chris. My current blend is 70% gemma, 30% rice, premium banana bash, and protease enzyme complex. It has been a wonderful product and I enjoy everything about it, except for the texture as it can be chalky to a certain degree. If the protease complex is doing it's job and keeping any gastrointestinal problems at bay then I'll just stick with it. The text and chart information that they provide on their website about the complex makes it appealing. Being that you've tried different iterations of the complex, chris, and vouch that it works then I'll take your word for it because you seem to be knowledgeable and honest based on your posts that I've seen in the forums. I'm probably going to stick with the banana bash for now because I really enjoy the taste. The only other flavor that interests me is the chocolate banana which I've heard good reviews of. My drink in the morning is 1 scoop of protein powder, 3 teaspoons of berry flavored GREENS+, 2-4oz of pineapple juice, 1 banana, 2 strawberries, a few cranberries and blackberries, and i scoop up about a half cup of blueberries and then add water to even out the texture. It fills me up usually until I have my morning snack around 9:30. Anyway, my main concern was if I could get pea protein for cheaper than gemma protein. Being that they are the same thing and TP is already a reliable supplier that I have experience purchasing from, then I will be sticking to that.

I'm a big fan of banana flavoring but I would like to experiment with other flavorings as well. For someone with my kind of taste preferences for fruits, what other flavors would you recommend to me?

My other question is, referring back to Troy's comparative amino acid analysis, wouldn't a 100% gemma mix have a better profile than combining it 70/30 with rice concentrate? In my review, gemma is superior to rice concentrate in it's amino profile except for when comparing the amounts of L-Cystine and L-Tyrosine. I'm not aware of any particular advantages that these two aminos would provide either.

Thanks I try to be honest.

Anyway, my main concern was if I could get pea protein for cheaper than gemma protein.
I doubt you'd be able to get it cheaper anywhere, except for maybe at some one-time blow out sale at some random store. TP's prices are really good but it doesn't hurt to look.

I'm a big fan of banana flavoring but I would like to experiment with other flavorings as well. For someone with my kind of taste preferences for fruits, what other flavors would you recommend to me?

I don't have any recommendations other than to stick with the premium or natural premium flavors. I think I may try go back to the dark side and try veggieprincess's suggestion of peaches and cream next (dark side being artificial flavors and sweeteners).
My other question is, referring back to Troy's comparative amino acid analysis, wouldn't a 100% gemma mix have a better profile than combining it 70/30 with rice concentrate? In my review, gemma is superior to rice concentrate in it's amino profile except for when comparing the amounts of L-Cystine and L-Tyrosine.
I've only been going off nutritiondata's amino score assessment, and Troy found the 70/30 blend was 141. Gemma alone is 108. I can't say that I understand the details for that, I've just used the tool. Honestly I'm not sure it matters much past 100.

astracner,

if you wanna get technical, the reason I stayed with gemma, even though the blend had a higher rating, the gemma amino acid profile filled the "gaps" better of my existing diet, in essence adding gemma created a better balanced overall amino acid profile for my complete diet. I can think of some easy ways to describe this if you need better visualization, just let me know...