virtue

madcat

What dose virtue mean to you?

The word is tied to moral standards and believes, such as the christian, but the meaning changes as what society perceives as virtue changes.

Personally, i don't like the notion of judging other people and sorting their characteristics into "good" and "bad" (or positive/negative, virtue/vice etc.).

I think a virtue can therefore only be a characteristic oneself admires in others and tries to achieve.

Gosh darn it Will, don’t get ahead of me. I stared reading the six questions of Socrates. Don’t give Plato all of the credit! And I am only going to except that answer if you tell me what wisdom, courage, moderation, and justice mean to you. I am really beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as “justice”.

Gosh darn it Will, don’t get ahead of me. I stared reading the six questions of Socrates. Don’t give Plato all of the credit! And I am only going to except that answer if you tell me what wisdom, courage, moderation, and justice mean to you. I am really beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as “justice”.

Okay, here's my ultra abridged interpretation of the 4 virtues that Plato got from Socrates:

wisdom - plan ahead to avoid making stupid mistakes

courage - don't be a wimp, be yourself

moderation - realize that there is always a different side/perspective

justice - find inner peace and project that onto world

I think that virtue is the strive for perfection. And I don’t mean in just one area, but for your self, your life, and everything you can impact.

Will, at first I really like your definition of courage, but then I started thinking… Doesn’t courage also mean “to face danger”? or do you think that’s still part of “being yourself”?

Here are some virtues that a past teacher gave to me.

Virtues of the Martial Arts

Respect: Recognizing and acknowledging someone or something's worth on some level. This applies to yourself as well as others around you.

Discipline: Doing the right thing even when we do not want to.

Loyalty: Having the trust in others when times are difficult to accomplish a shared goal.

Humility: The ability to understand that everyone is equal and we do not have to appear the best when compared to another person. More importantly, we do have to be the best when compared to our self.

We must develop all four of these Virtues because each one strengthens the others. Through following the Virtues, they not only strengthen each other, but build many other characteristics of a true martial artist such as; honor, true strength, courtesy, integrity, perseverance, and self-control.