HELP! New vegetarian needs diet help!

Sully

Hello; this is my first post on this website.

I began a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet about 2-3 weeks ago.

I am 18, 150 lbs, and in college in the U.S.A.

My activity is this: I lift 2-3 times a week (StrongLifts 5x5 program), I do Aikido for 2 hours on Monday and Wednesday, and Krav Maga for 2 hours Tuesday and Thursday. Also, my campus is big, so I ride my bike around it (my stats so far for lifting are 150x5 Squat, 190x5 deadlift, 80x5 overheadpress, 105x5 barbell row, 13 dip max, 10 pull-up max (I'm pretty new to the program)).

So basically, I have been following Mehdi's 8 Nutriton Rules from Stronglifts (http://stronglifts.com/nutrition-101-definite-beginner-guide-healthy-nutrition/). This is what the "sample diet" looks like:

* Breakfast: eggs with veggies, orange, green tea

* Snack: mixed nuts, pear

* Lunch: tuna, roman ettuce, olives, olive oil

* Snack: cottage cheese with apple

* Post workout: ground round, quinoa, spinach, banana

* Dinner: chicken, spinach, baby carrots, peer

* Pre-bed snack: cottage cheese, berries, ground flax seeds, fish oil

It is basically a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet. I have been following it pretty closely, except for the meat of course.

The problem is really that lately, I have been feeling very tired all the time. Like zero energy. I don't have the motivation to the the martial arts, but I still do them anyway.

My main goal is to essential feel great and get stronger. I would like to do this without getting very fat in the process, possibly to lose fat in the process (if this is possible while getting stronger). For dinner last night and today for lunch, I succumbed to eating fish because I could not take the low-energy anymore. It was pretty delicious.

So, if anyone can help me out with advice on my diet, that would be great. Am I just not getting enough carbs? Too many carbs (from the addition of lots of beans and milk)? I really want to be a vegetarian, as I thought the whole point was that you feel better and help the environment, but I don't feel better. Just tired.

Thanks for any help!

Glad you're interested in the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. Here's what I would do to this diet plan. I don't have the answers, so this is only my personal opinion.

* Breakfast: Scrambled tofu with LOTS of veggies, orange, green tea

* Snack: unsalted, preferably raw mixed nuts, pear

* Lunch: beans/veggie meat, roman lettuce, olives, olive oil

* Snack: vegan yogurt or peanut/almond butter with apple

* Dinner: seitan/tempeh/other veggie meat, spinach, baby carrots, peer

* Pre-bed snack: hemp protein, berries, ground flax seeds, flax oil (add a banana and make it a smoothie?)

I'd also recommend adding a vegan protein supplement. My all time favorite is Sun Warrior Rice Protein. It's great for post workout because it digests quickly.

To keep your energy up, I'd definitely stay away from milk and other dairy products. They will make you lethargic and slow you down. If you're concerned about calcium, try sesame milk. Also, when in doubt add more veggies! They have sooo much energy in them, you really can't go wrong.

I hope this forum is an inspiring place for you. We're here to help.

Hello; this is my first post on this website.

I began a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet about 2-3 weeks ago.

I am 18, 150 lbs, and in college in the U.S.A.

My activity is this: I lift 2-3 times a week (StrongLifts 5x5 program), I do Aikido for 2 hours on Monday and Wednesday, and Krav Maga for 2 hours Tuesday and Thursday. Also, my campus is big, so I ride my bike around it (my stats so far for lifting are 150x5 Squat, 190x5 deadlift, 80x5 overheadpress, 105x5 barbell row, 13 dip max, 10 pull-up max (I'm pretty new to the program)).

So basically, I have been following Mehdi's 8 Nutriton Rules from Stronglifts (http://stronglifts.com/nutrition-101-definite-beginner-guide-healthy-nutrition/). This is what the "sample diet" looks like:

* Breakfast: eggs with veggies, orange, green tea

* Snack: mixed nuts, pear

* Lunch: tuna, roman ettuce, olives, olive oil

* Snack: cottage cheese with apple

* Dinner: chicken, spinach, baby carrots, peer

* Pre-bed snack: cottage cheese, berries, ground flax seeds, fish oil

It is basically a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet. I have been following it pretty closely, except for the meat of course.

The problem is really that lately, I have been feeling very tired all the time. Like zero energy. I don't have the motivation to the the martial arts, but I still do them anyway.

My main goal is to essential feel great and get stronger. I would like to do this without getting very fat in the process, possibly to lose fat in the process (if this is possible while getting stronger). For dinner last night and today for lunch, I succumbed to eating fish because I could not take the low-energy anymore. It was pretty delicious.

So, if anyone can help me out with advice on my diet, that would be great. Am I just not getting enough carbs? Too many carbs (from the addition of lots of beans and milk)? I really want to be a vegetarian, as I thought the whole point was that you feel better and help the environment, but I don't feel better. Just tired.

Thanks for any help!

AH, lacto-ovo? Atleast half the meals have carcus in them. I think you mean you are adhering to an omnivore diet with the exception of some lacto-ovo stuff.

anyway, if you are going to be eating beans try to eat a little everyday , so you can get used to handling them. Dont use fake meats, sodium. quinoa should stay. Mix in tofu with the eggs in the morning and back off the eggs over time. Have some oatmeal with fruit. Try differnet spices with the tofu with the eggs to try to mimic the egg taste as you back off. Nuts should stay. Might want to try some of that tofutti cottage cheese. You should check out Octopussior training log here and vids on youtube.

I'd also recommend adding a vegan protein supplement. My all time favorite is Sun Warrior Rice Protein. It's great for post workout because it digests quickly.

That stuff is only 13g of protein per scoop, and it is quite expensive. There is no way that that product can supplement all necessary protein unless you are taking several scoops a day, which will end up costing a lot.

To keep your energy up, I'd definitely stay away from milk and other dairy products. They will make you lethargic and slow you down. If you're concerned about calcium, try sesame milk. Also, when in doubt add more veggies! They have sooo much energy in them, you really can't go wrong.

... What? Are you talking about the amount of tryptophan? I tend to think that that is an old wive's tale. Also, milk is a terrific source of saturated fat (as well as eggs), which doesn't really come from too many other sources (unless you eat a LOT of nuts). Does olive oil provide a lot of saturated fat that could be substituted for milk and eggs?

Also, has anyone here tried any products from True Protein, specifically the Gemma Pea Protein Isolate and/or Rice Protein Concentrate? What are the flavors like?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I use True Protein...in the spring I ordered a bunch of different kinds to try out the different combination of gemma/hemp/rice...I like a mix that is mostly rice with a little gemma thrown in. I mostly ordered the natural flavours that are sweetened with stevia...I ended up getting quite a few different ones. I didn't really care for the ones with banana in them, but that's just me and my tastes. I get that stuff shipped to Canada and it's STILL cheaper than buying it locally.

That stuff is only 13g of protein per scoop, and it is quite expensive. There is no way that that product can supplement all necessary protein unless you are taking several scoops a day, which will end up costing a lot.

We'll it's 15-16grams depending on flavor, but the reason is that the serving size is small. A typical whey protein can have a serving size of 70 grams whereas sun warrior's serving size is only 22. You would definitely take multiple scoops. I usually have 4 a day.

I totally understand the price concern though. I guess I'm willing to pay since it's raw, but the True Protein that lobsteriffic recommended has the same percentage of protein that sun warrior does (85%) and is much more affordable. I'd say go with that.

What? Are you talking about the amount of tryptophan? I tend to think that that is an old wive's tale. Also, milk is a terrific source of saturated fat (as well as eggs), which doesn't really come from too many other sources (unless you eat a LOT of nuts). Does olive oil provide a lot of saturated fat that could be substituted for milk and eggs?

Nope, not talking about tryptophan. I had never heard that it was in milk. Milk is just hard to digest, period, and saps energy from the rest of the body to use for digestion. Milk proteins are much harder to break down than plant based ones and it'll require more energy to break them down. That's why I suggested cutting out dairy.

If you are concerned about saturated fats, I'd say have some avocados and olive oil. However, I've never heard of anyone on a vegan diet have any issue with not getting enough saturated fats. Speaking from my experience, I don't think it's something you need to worry about.

We'll it's 15-16grams depending on flavor, but the reason is that the serving size is small. A typical whey protein can have a serving size of 70 grams whereas sun warrior's serving size is only 22. You would definitely take multiple scoops. I usually have 4 a day.

I totally understand the price concern though. I guess I'm willing to pay since it's raw, but the True Protein that lobsteriffic recommended has the same percentage of protein that sun warrior does (85%) and is much more affordable. I'd say go with that.

What? Are you talking about the amount of tryptophan? I tend to think that that is an old wive's tale. Also, milk is a terrific source of saturated fat (as well as eggs), which doesn't really come from too many other sources (unless you eat a LOT of nuts). Does olive oil provide a lot of saturated fat that could be substituted for milk and eggs?

Nope, not talking about tryptophan. I had never heard that it was in milk. Milk is just hard to digest, period, and saps energy from the rest of the body to use for digestion. Milk proteins are much harder to break down than plant based ones and it'll require more energy to break them down. That's why I suggested cutting out dairy.

If you are concerned about saturated fats, I'd say have some avocados and olive oil. However, I've never heard of anyone on a vegan diet have any issue with not getting enough saturated fats. Speaking from my experience, I don't think it's something you need to worry about.

Would I really notice a huge difference in energy if I stopped drinking milk if I drink ~ 3 glasses of 2% a day?

I am only concerned with saturated fat because that and cholesterol (which is why I mentioned it) both increase testosterone in males. In fact, they are the main sources of testosterone unless I am mistaken.