Non-leather Shoe Guide

Molly

I have come up with a pretty extensive list of online stores that have veg shoes, so I thought it would be nice to share. I'm a shoe junkie, so I'm also hoping to connect to a few other shoeaholics.

All stores are US based unless if noted. If you have any to add, please do!

Vegan Essentials

Moo Shoes

Pangea

Alternative Outfitters

Zappos

Shoes.com

Vegan Unlimited

Otsu

The Vegetarian Site

Shoes With Souls

Matt & Nat US, Canada & UK

Vegetarian Shoes & Bags

Earth Vegan Shoes

Heartland Products

Vegan Shoes

Good Goth

Lifestride

Crocs The Islander is the only shoe by Crocs that has leather. Otherwise, they're all non-leather.

ebay Just do a search for 'vegan' or 'vegetarian' and click on the shoe sections that come up.

Nomadic State of Mind

Rawganique

Vegan Wares Australia based

Vegan Line UK based

Vegetarian Shoes UK based

Freerangers UK based

Vegan Store UK based

Bourgeois Boheme UK based

Beyond Skin UK based

My Vegan Shoes UK based

Ethical Wares UK based

Edited by Molly

• 1 month later...

Thanks Molly!

Any idea if they sell something like a "hard leather boot" alternative? The ones used in factories and warehouses. I saw some boots but I am not sure if they are like "hard leather boots". I need it for a job.

Definitely should be stickied! Thank you for compiling this list!

Any idea if they sell something like a "hard leather boot" alternative? The ones used in factories and warehouses. I saw some boots but I am not sure if they are like "hard leather boots". I need it for a job.

When I worked in construction I got some work boots from Payless Shoes that were all from man made materials. I think they were about $25 and the brand was State Street

I think he is referring to sweatshop labor, but we'll have to wait for his personal response. I just have a feeling that is what he means, especially since he is talking about Payless, which offers vegan shoes, but often times are made in sweatshop labor factories in 3rd world countries

Ah ok thanks. Thought it was something done to the environment or animals. 3rd World labour isn't forced, they choose to work right?

Sometimes the labor is forced; child labor is rampant in some parts of the world. Most of the time it isn't forced, but working in a sweatshop is the best option available to the laborers. The whole sweat shop labor issue is tricky and even experts who devote their careers to studying the issue can't agree on the best way to improve things for the workers. Personally, I agree with the philosophy of http://www.nosweat.org.uk/ - I only boycott sweatshop made products if the workers call for a boycott in order to improve unionization efforts. Other people think you should try to boycott all sweatshop goods, but I don't think this usually has the intended effect.

Also, if your main concern is environmental, the place to shop is always a 2nd hand store. From a purely environmental perspective, buying used leather boots is much better than buying new boots from man made materials.

Very interesting Will. I agree, sweatshop labor is a very tricky issue and I don't even know exactly where I stand. I try not to support products made in sweatshop labor factories, but then again, what will happen to those people if they didn't have any type of work at all?

I would hate to wear old leather items, but also don't like the idea of buying cheap vegan shoes made in China or Taiwan, or Honduras.

This will continue to be a tricky issue for a long time with our ever-growing population and the interest in always finding the cheapest labor possible. I don't even know which direction we're headed, nor which way we need to be headed.

Population increases are causing all kinds of problems. There are many sub-problems caused by it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

i really liked the matt&nat schoes and wanted to order 3 pairs...

unfortunatelly they don't sell them in europe, just in america...

these shoes really look good! better than any other vegan shoes i've ever seen...

does anybody know where else i could buy shoes like that?

thanks,

kiste

Ok. I travel a lot for work and my feet hurt a lot due to dress shoes so I was recommended ROCKPORTS since most of them are certified by the American Podiatric Assoc..

PS: I do find them extremely comfortable. Apologies to all people here. But that was honest. I would consider going in a different direction in the future if possible..

Can anyone vouch for ROCKPORT like VEGGIE shoes?

• 1 month later...

I too am guilty of supporting Payless on several occasions although I know it's wrong. I know that it's wrong, but sometimes I want shoes and can't afford the $100 for vegan shoes online when they may not even fit right. I sport mostly vans, old cons(I wouldn't buy new ones, I'd support No Sweats now), new balances(vegan ones).

In regards to free trade zones where many of our "3rd world" sweatshop items come from, they are awful facilities. They are called free trade zones because essentially they have no labor laws governing them. They use violence, fear, and exploitation of adults and children. A great book on the subject is "Disposable People". Slavery is still alive today more than ever.

On a lighter note, anyone know about Asics "Onitsukas"? Supposedly they're vegan. I want to check em out, wondered if anyone had a pair or tried some on.