Xstraight edgeX

Attila

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahrr, wtf. That's pretty lame

yeah, what's even lamer are these militant edge kids that go to shows and beat down anyone they see holding a beer or a cigarette.

Is that really true?

Absolutely.

and there are also drunk people that start fights for no reason.

What is the straight edge reason for not having sex? I choose not to have sex because of the risk of pregnancy, even with protection there is a risk. I don't take drugs, smoke or drink, I guess I am straight edge in that case? I don't really mind what words people use, I don't try to be 'straight edge' or whatever, I just don't want to do those things

straight edge is a conscious life decision. you must decide to be straight edge. if you dont do drugs, then you are "drug free". and if you decide to never ever do drugs, then label yourself edge, and you are straight edge. this means you will never try a drug or drink or go slutting around.

and if you do try drugs after claiming this s considered breaking edge. you cannot reclaim edge...since edge is a life commitment. so if youre gonna claim it make sure you really want to.

people associate theirselves with certain labels for varous different reasons.

i associate myself with straight edge to make sure i am in control of my actions at all times, that i never let any substance alter my mind or body.

i want to live a life addiction free.

edgers can have sex, they just cant be sluts. its no premiscuous sex. so that means they only have sex in a monogomous relationship. you can be bf and gf, you dont have to be married.

there are some that bring religion into sxe and think you have to be married, and then there are some like me that dont have sex at all. but these are not sxe beliefs.

Yeah. I don't see what it's got to do with drugs, alcohol and smoking they seem like two completely different things to me, and it's just coincidence that they both apply to me. It's like having a label for someone who likes apples, but doesn't watch CNN.

lust is addictive and controlling. it can be just as harmful as any drug.

"I'm sure there are millions of clean & sober people that have never even heard of straight edge."

Yeah, I agree, like most super religious people. They are totally drug-free, sex-free, but not all are vegan. A lot of my friends are some sort of "edge" because of the things they abstain from. I guess I'm some sort of "edge" too. I think I'll make up my own name I like AppleCore, but I'll come up with one too. Possibley "Redge" (Robert-Edge) I'll get more creative soon.

-Redge-

edge doesnt work like that. either you are or you arent edge.

edge is a lifetime conscious commitment. you have to sit down one day and say to yourself i want to associate myself with a label, and i never want to smoke, drink, or slut around ever again.

some choose edge because they come from a drug abuse past, and then sober up and make sure they never want to return. some choose edge to make sure they never fall to addiction. some do it to find other friends that have fun that dont use drugs. there are many different reasons. but you cant just be edge because you fit the "rules", you have to decide for yourself to associate yourself with the label.

if you fit the "rules" but dont label yourself, then you are just drug free.

the sad thing is almost everyone i know broke edge because they went edge cause it was trendy.

if you arent edge now....you never were.

or they broke edge because they no longer want to be associated with edge because of militants.

militants make up less than 1% of edgers.

i myself dont condone violence or fighting at all for any reason.

and whats also sad is that i get stereotyped and lumped in with violent mlitants, the same way i get lumped into the "crazy, radical, peta loving, weak, malnourished, only eats salads, vegan".

not all edgers are militants.

yeah, what's even lamer are these militant edge kids that go to shows and beat down anyone they see holding a beer or a cigarette.

Is that really true?

Absolutely.

True, but you don't see gangs of drunk people going to shows to beat up sober people. I'm not saying all, or even most edge people are like that, but like with any extremist group, that small percentage is the loudest and most noticed.

True, but you don't see gangs of drunk people going to shows to beat up sober people. I'm not saying all, or even most edge people are like that, but like with any extremist group, that small percentage is the loudest and most noticed.

Can you tell us a story or is this just what you heard from people?

Some of them have made the news because they ended up killing someone. Like I said, this is a small minority, but it does happen, and it's not isolated to just Utah or Nevada

http://weeklywire.com/ww/09-21-98/slc_cb_a.html

http://toefur.com/straightedge/x/straightedgenewsarticles/straightedgeabc2020.php

actual ive seen plenty of drunk gangs go to shows to beat ppl up.

yeh i concur that "with any extremist group, that small percentage is the loudest and most noticed". this goes for both edgers or drunks.

download the boston beatdown dvd's ...they have some pretty dope shit on them...

and there is that crew down south doing the same shit too.

dont download any of that shit. boston beatdown is fucking lame.

i know first hand what scum those assholes are.

download the boston beatdown dvd's ...they have some pretty dope shit on them...

Ah yeah. FSU. (Friends Stand United). They've spread beyond Boston now from what I've heard.

yeh theyre pretty much all over. and i am not a fan of gang violence nor FSU. ive had my fair share of run-ins with them and not one bit has been positive. the sooner the "tough guy" trend dies down, the better.

Ah yeah. FSU. (Friends Stand United). They've spread beyond Boston now from what I've heard.

not FSU they all look like kooks and one got shot recently anyways, they were on myspace blogging about it...that's not very hip hop.

the thing is that hardcore is thug music, always was, as much as all the nice guy/myspace nbands try to water it down it'll always have the core of real heads who like it in it's purest form.

What is the straight edge reason for not having sex? I choose not to have sex because of the risk of pregnancy, even with protection there is a risk. I don't take drugs, smoke or drink, I guess I am straight edge in that case? I don't really mind what words people use, I don't try to be 'straight edge' or whatever, I just don't want to do those things

straight edge is a conscious life decision. you must decide to be straight edge. if you dont do drugs, then you are "drug free". and if you decide to never ever do drugs, then label yourself edge, and you are straight edge. this means you will never try a drug or drink or go slutting around.

and if you do try drugs after claiming this s considered breaking edge. you cannot reclaim edge...since edge is a life commitment. so if youre gonna claim it make sure you really want to.

people associate theirselves with certain labels for varous different reasons.

i associate myself with straight edge to make sure i am in control of my actions at all times, that i never let any substance alter my mind or body.

i want to live a life addiction free.

edgers can have sex, they just cant be sluts. its no premiscuous sex. so that means they only have sex in a monogomous relationship. you can be bf and gf, you dont have to be married.

there are some that bring religion into sxe and think you have to be married, and then there are some like me that dont have sex at all. but these are not sxe beliefs.

Yeah, I have the deliberate intention of never doing drugs, drinking or smoking, I am very much anti those things, and anti promiscuity also. Not sure about lust being a 'drug', and if it is, you can still have the lust in a sxe relationship, so that analogy doesn't make sense to me. What I don't like is sleeping around, messing with other people's emotions, using them etc.

EDIT: also I don't like devaluing intimate activity. I want my (future) girlfriend to know that what I do with her is special, and only for her

Edited by Richard

Is that really true?

Absolutely.

Some of them have made the news because they ended up killing someone. Like I said, this is a small minority, but it does happen, and it's not isolated to just Utah or Nevada

http://weeklywire.com/ww/09-21-98/slc_cb_a.html

http://toefur.com/straightedge/x/straightedgenewsarticles/straightedgeabc2020.php

Okay, folks. I'm a Utah native and I was there before, during and after Salt Lake City's most violent years. I attended and promoted hardcore concerts in Utah at this time.

It is true that the militants were a load minority. Let's face it, kids don't get on the 9 o'clock news for non-violence. I don't think Time magazine is going to run a story about the 200 kids that didn't get in any fights, with a banner on the cover: "None Stabbed at Concert in SLC". Most militants were just obnoxious kids after attention.

It should also be noted that most in this violent minority never stayed drug-free. Many of these militants can be seen smoking cigarette and drinking beer. This includes kids with straightedge tattoos. I even know a few who now deal drugs. (In fact, I know some former drug dealers who are now more straightedge than those militants ever were.) But that was Salt Lake City.

I'm from a Utah town about an hour north of Salt Lake. I would travel there to see some bands, but the scene in Salt Lake was worthless. Yeah, there were five to ten kids at every show that acted like frat boys with something to prove. But there were another 150 kids that did little more than complain when fights broke out. What good is that when fights resulted in venues closing down and bands refusing to visit the city?

Me and most of my friends were straightedge (although many of us have distanced ourselves from that title), but we saw the Salt Lake militants as a joke. The scene where I lived was the total opposite of Salt Lake City. We had a sense of community where I lived. People didn't get in fights because we understood you don't piss where you sleep, or shit where you eat, or whatever that adage is. And every band that I talked to that came through noticed that people there cared about the music and weren't there just to be seen.

I also agree with what Topher said. I've seen drunks and drug users come to concerts looking to start fights. In many cases targeting straightedge kids for no reason. As someone who organized concerts, I know how people who are drunk or high can cause just as much trouble at a show as anyone else, and they don't even have to fight to do it. This is perhaps why so many people originally had an affinity for straightedge.

If straightedge means anything, it means abstaining from self-destructive behavior. Yes, that includes drugs and some sexual activity; but it should also include fighting. So why should it be a surprise when these militants start smoking and drinking, or screwing anyone that moves?

Speaking of those under the influence being violent just go to a Slayer concert or review Henry Rollins accounts of the years he spent with Black Flag and how people threw beer bottles and tried to beat up the band. I bet those were not sXe kids. And just for the record: Ian may have created the framework for straight edge, but straight edgers dont live how they do because Ian said so (to be fair some may, but I dont know any like that).