Quick question about amino acids...

ok soo ive seen a few sites on the internet saying theres around 20 some say 21, some 22, some 23 difrent type of aminoacids that the human body needs... i just dont know which site to belive... i know theres the essential and the non- essential but i just dont know how many they are,

can some one plz explain this to me

thnx

Could I ask you why you are asking?

Whether there are 21, 22, or 23 amino acids, and which ones are essential, is interesting and in some ways useful information to know; that said, I think you are over analyzing this whole amino acid deal. That is, unless you have a good answer for the question I just asked you above. Why does it matter?

A well balanced diet should provide you with all the amino acids you need, and also those that are unessential. By all means I am willing to discuss it further with you though.

Usually you talk about 20 amino acids that the body needs, of which 8 are essential and some (5 maybe) are refered to as semiessential (they need to be in your food in a certain tage of your life because the metabolic pathways aren't fully developed). However some people likes to talk about selenocysteine and taurine for example I'm not sure on what the litterature says on these. Selenocysteine is actually coded genetically so I guess it belongs with the "regular 20" group.

If you want to know more about the 20 common ones you can check this site out http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Class/Structure/aa/aa_explorer.cgi

Whether there are 21, 22, or 23 amino acids, and which ones are essential, is interesting and in some ways useful information to know; that said, I think you are over analyzing this whole amino acid deal. That is, unless you have a good answer for the question I just asked you above. Why does it matter?

A well balanced diet should provide you with all the amino acids you need, and also those that are unessential. By all means I am willing to discuss it further with you though.

Yes, well ive always focused more on protein, carbs and fat intake when I'm bulking or cutting rather than the nutrients ive been eating and even though all of them are important i REALLY wanna focus more on my nutrition from no on and since recently ive decided to turn ovo lacto vegan i wanna DO THIS RIGHT... i know amino acids play an important role on getting a well built body soo i wanna do this right from the start keeping an orgnized intake off all the nutrients, im currently making my very own ovo lacto vegan eating plan and i rlly want to include all those amino acids in there to maximize my results im rlly motivated sooo yup =] thats the reason i wanna know bout that :3

The two replies in this thread is so stereotypical for teh internet. A dude asks a pretty simple question and the first reply is "why do you ask, here's some random advice you didn't ask for". Second post says exactly the same thing.

I think it's good to focus on protein, however you don't really need to be very concerned with specific amino acids. If you eat a vegan meal it might be worth combining legumes (lentils, peas and beans) with either nuts/seeds or grains to get a nice amino acid score.

The two replies in this thread is so stereotypical for teh internet. A dude asks a pretty simple question and the first reply is "why do you ask, here's some random advice you didn't ask for". Second post says exactly the same thing.

I think it's good to focus on protein, however you don't really need to be very concerned with specific amino acids. If you eat a vegan meal it might be worth combining legumes (lentils, peas and beans) with either nuts/seeds or grains to get a nice amino acid score.

Yea i thought if i'd become a ovo lacto vegetarian( not vegan correction lobsteriffic xD) id get my main source of proteins from legumes and nuts im currently making my list and all thnx ill try not to think allot about animo acids then ;3

Yes, well ive always focused more on protein, carbs and fat intake when I'm bulking or cutting rather than the nutrients ive been eating and even though all of them are important i REALLY wanna focus more on my nutrition from no on and since recently ive decided to turn ovo lacto vegan i wanna DO THIS RIGHT... i know amino acids play an important role on getting a well built body soo i wanna do this right from the start keeping an orgnized intake off all the nutrients, im currently making my very own ovo lacto vegan eating plan and i rlly want to include all those amino acids in there to maximize my results im rlly motivated sooo yup =] thats the reason i wanna know bout that :3

awww well good luck with the diet.

you could try this supplement: http://www.bragg.com/products/la.html

its basically soy sauce, but its amino acids. its weird because its salty, and its not a protein supplement, which is where amino acids apparently come from, but it does supposedly have 16 amino acids. braggs amino acids goes good on lots of stuff. oh, i guess it is considered a protein supplement. but its not the type of thing youre supposed to have a ton of because its got a lot of sodium. anyways...

ttyl Faruz

(dusting off my biochemistry textbook):

Leucine

Proline

Alanine

Valine

Methionine

Phenylalanine

Tryptophan

Isoleucine

Glycine

Serine

Threonine

Cysteine

Asparagine

Glutamine

Tyrosine

Histidine

Aspartic acid

Glutamic acid

Lysine

Arginine

These are the 20 common amino acids. When you think of amino acids commonly found in natural proteins, this is your list.

There are other uncommon amino acids found in proteins which are important for very specific bodily functions, but many are synthesized in your body or you require so little of it that you don't need to worry about getting them in a diet. The following is a list of these uncommon amino acids which you can google or wikipedia to learn about at your whimsy. Each does something cool (depending on how much of a nerd you are):

5-Hydroxylysine

4-Hydroxyproline

Thryoxine

3-Methylhistidine

epsilon-N-Methyllysine

epsilon-N,N,N,-Trimethyllysine

Aminoadipic acid

gamma-Carboxyglutamic acid

Pyroglutamic acid

Phosphoserine

Phosphorthreonine

Phosphotyrosine

N-Methylarginine

N-Acetyllysine

Lastly, there are several amino acids which aren't even normally found in proteins at all.... although I won't list these because you'll never see them on a nutritional infos box.

Anything you ever see on a supplement about amino acids will be in one of these two lists. The first one is all you should care about, but insofar as you should care... just know that as per what other people in this thread have told you:

Making any effort to eat a somewhat balanced diet and you won't have to ever worry about it because almost all proteins contain most of these amino acids in appropriate amounts.