What option do you choose re: weightlifting gloves?

medman

A friend of mine just challenged me to do StrongLifts with him, and I found it to be an offer I couldn't refuse. By the time we did the inverted rows, it became apparent to me that I might want to be looking into some sort of gloves.

So, given that most gloves are made of leather, what do you suggest? I've read about NewGrips before, and I know they're vegan. They look whacky - does anyone have any experience with them? Other than that, what are our non-leather options? Or do you feel that gloves interfere with proper grip? This is definitely a gym that doesn't let you use chalk.

Everyone will have different opinions on this but I'd find a gym that lets you use chalk.

http://stronglifts.com/why-you-shouldnt-use-lifting-gloves/

How are the inverted rows going? Remember to switch over to barbell rows when you can do 15 inverted rows (with feet elevated), these will build your strength quicker. I forgot to do this for ages and have only switched over recently.

I use Mechanix brand gloves at work for vehicle extrication. They are very lightweight and don't impede normal movement of the fingers. I think they'd translate well to manipulating weights. I'd use mine there except they are pretty dirty and I don't want to buy more. I honestly don't know for sure if they are vegan. I always just kind of assumed they were though. Fairly certain there's no skin in them at least.

The mechanix gloves I've seen are a synth hide, not leather like many gloves. I actually found some lifting gloves at Academy that are vegan, but are made by nike so if you have a problem with that... They've held up for over a year. I don't really notice any difference in lifting with them, but I don't have gnarly calluses on my hand. A girlfriend will appreciate you not running those across her or at least that's been my experience. I agree that the new grips look really strange.

• 3 weeks later...
Everyone will have different opinions on this but I'd find a gym that lets you use chalk.

I'm old-school in this sense as well. For people who have weak grips, I just say to improve your grip! After all, getting help with lifting straps isn't going to help you with your grip any further...it's still going to be weak. Chalk sucks up the moisture so your sweaty hands don't slip, and that's why it's good to use. Try bringing a piece of chalk with you if your gym doesn't provide any, or ask them to start doing so.

The callouses on my hands and the compliments on my very firm handshake are all bonuses in my book.