Bloated belly

• 2 weeks later...

It could also be from water...if you are either drinking a lot of water or drinking a decent amount of water and eating something that retains water, or if you even just have a body that retains water. And like the person above said with the beans maybe...it's hard to say when each person really has a different answer for a different body.

It might be a soy, wheat or gluten intolerance. Try cutting out soy and wheat for a week, and see if it goes away and then reintroduce one or the other to find the culprit. And if you are eating a lot of beans, make sure you're soaking them for a full 24 hours and tossing out the soak water before cooking and try cooking with kombu. Both of those practices reduce lectins.

I would suggest cutting back on your sodium as well, and always drink plenty of water.

Are you taking protein supplements or creatine? That can also cause bloating.

No creatine. I eat some raw hemp protein powder, maybe 1-2 servings per day at most. No other supplements of any kind. And my sodium intake is low. My diet is maybe 60% raw, I use very little salt (if at all) for flavoring, and I generally don't buy or eat processed foods because I like to cook my own food.

I guess it could be gluten, but I even if it was, I don't want to give up wheat! I have an a priori ideological bias in favor of wheat. I refuse to acknowledge wheat could be bad.

It could also be from water...if you are either drinking a lot of water or drinking a decent amount of water and eating something that retains water, or if you even just have a body that retains water. And like the person above said with the beans maybe...it's hard to say when each person really has a different answer for a different body.

Why do you have to toss out the soak water? (I always do, but just curious.)

I guess I have a similar situation but personally I don't consider it a problem. I just figured it was because I eat quite a lot (for me) and frequently (since it's fine first thing when I wake up or after not eating for 3 or 4 hours or so). Mine's at its worse after I drink a smoothie or a lot of water at once. I also have a low salt/processed foods diet.

What's it like when you wake up in the morning?

Try chewing some fennel seeds after meals for a few days, or crushing some seeds and steeping them for tea. I always chew some after a meal, because I eat a ton of beans. They help immensely.

cool. i'll try that. thanks.

I guess I have a similar situation but personally I don't consider it a problem. I just figured it was because I eat quite a lot (for me) and frequently (since it's fine first thing when I wake up or after not eating for 3 or 4 hours or so). Mine's at its worse after I drink a smoothie or a lot of water at once. I also have a low salt/processed foods diet.

What's it like when you wake up in the morning?

i guess it's probably not a problem. generally it's much better in the morning. just wanted to make sure.

It could also just be abdominal fat (some people store more visceral fat, even without much being under the skin). Another issue could be poor tone in the tranversus abdominis- this muscle is often overlooked in ab training, but is important for flattening out the stomach.

It could also just be abdominal fat (some people store more visceral fat, even without much being under the skin). Another issue could be poor tone in the tranversus abdominis- this muscle is often overlooked in ab training, but is important for flattening out the stomach.

Good point. You might want to try some planking and holding a heavy squat bar in the fully upright position, focusing on sucking your abs in. That rapes my TVA.

Good point. You might want to try some planking and holding a heavy squat bar in the fully upright position, focusing on sucking your abs in. That rapes my TVA.

I have the same issue, never thought about it as being the culprit. It's really beneficial anyhow to get those muscles in shape for a healthy back ( big focus of mine).

also, cutting out wheat and soy seems like a good idea, seems like this could also be my bloated belly culprit. As a girl, having your lower abdominal bloated and being my age, people start to ask the question that makes me want to punch them right in the face!