Let Them Eat Meat! - A website by an ex-vegan

robert

Yes, quite possibly we all make some sort of a difference. But if I had continued eating meat, I don't know for sure that one more chicken or cod would have been killed. So many corpses get thrown away at all stages of the carnage that there's probably no way of recording that one person has stopped buying a pound of sausages and some meat pies each week.

I could be wrong. It might just be my way of coping with the possibiltiy of not having much direct effect. I do believe I can have an influence on others, though. And in that way I could have a great effect. Lots of people not buying sausages and pies will be noticed and will lead to a reduction in cruelty and death.

If anyone wants to become vegan, don't be put off by thinking that your abstention from eating meat won't cause any less suffering. Individually in the long run, and collectively with others every day, it will. And you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are no longer condemning livng beings to lives of misery and to horrific deaths.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is worth here is a link to the original thread on VBB about that blog:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20781&p=225143&hilit=letthemeatmeat#p225143

He deleted the blog post that inspired the start of that thread, but it is still in Googles Web Archives:

http://bit.ly/8Pvf7S

Jack Norris, vegan RD recently posted about this guys blog:

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=1099

Well, it looks like he put his post about the DC Vegfest of 2009 back up

http://letthemeatmeat.com/post/191167836/dc-vegfest-the-vegan-bodybuilders

This is just sad. Whatever his problems were, they had nothing to do with veganism. I've been vegetarian since 2001 and vegan since 2008. I don't take supplements, except protein shakes from time to time (but meat eaters take them too, right?) and I'm perfectly healthy and intend to stay this way. Yeah, I have dandruff from time to time but I've had it since I was a kid and ate loads of meat (selenium and zink supplementation does help here). Nature didn't intend us to take supplements. Yeah, it didn't intend us to look like Nasser as well. And you won't look like Nasser just eating meat - you need hormones. Being a vegan is just a part of the big picture. Just joining a martial arts club doesn't make you a ninja - it takes some years of hard training. Becoming vegan is not the magic switch either, it just helps. There's no magic switch (there is always a way out though!:). I bet the problems were related to other things, not the vegan diet. Meat is just easier to buy. All these years this guy spent as vegan ... vegimator, hope your brother turns back so we could welcome him back:)

The protein thing again!

You don't need to be worried about protein! My primary diet is raw fruits and vegetables and I only do protein shakes or cook lentils when I am trying to lose fat. A 100% raw diet of fruits and vegetables will net around 6% protein which is quite enough to maintain muscle mass. You don't need fish, beans, nuts, etc. Anything telling you to do is just yourself justifying the desire to consume flesh.

This is just sad. Whatever his problems were, they had nothing to do with veganism. I've been vegetarian since 2001 and vegan since 2008. I don't take supplements, except protein shakes from time to time (but meat eaters take them too, right?) and I'm perfectly healthy and intend to stay this way. Yeah, I have dandruff from time to time but I've had it since I was a kid and ate loads of meat (selenium and zink supplementation does help here). Nature didn't intend us to take supplements.

This is a very dangerous attitude, since unfortunately there is no known source of B12 in a natural vegan diet. You might be healthy now, but you will very likely get a deficiency in the long run.

"While lacto-ovo vegetarians usually get enough B12 through consuming dairy products, vegans will lack B12 unless they consume multivitamin supplements or B12-fortified foods. Examples of fortified foods include fortified breakfast cereals, fortified soy products, fortified energy bars, and fortified nutritional yeast. According to the UK Vegan Society, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans because B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism.[28][29]

Claimed sources of B12 that have been shown to be inadequate or unreliable through direct studies[30] of vegans include laver (a seaweed), barley grass, and human gut bacteria."

This is just sad. Whatever his problems were, they had nothing to do with veganism. I've been vegetarian since 2001 and vegan since 2008. I don't take supplements, except protein shakes from time to time (but meat eaters take them too, right?) and I'm perfectly healthy and intend to stay this way. Yeah, I have dandruff from time to time but I've had it since I was a kid and ate loads of meat (selenium and zink supplementation does help here). Nature didn't intend us to take supplements.

This is a very dangerous attitude, since unfortunately there is no known source of B12 in a natural vegan diet. You might be healthy now, but you will very likely get a deficiency in the long run.

"While lacto-ovo vegetarians usually get enough B12 through consuming dairy products, vegans will lack B12 unless they consume multivitamin supplements or B12-fortified foods. Examples of fortified foods include fortified breakfast cereals, fortified soy products, fortified energy bars, and fortified nutritional yeast. According to the UK Vegan Society, the present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans because B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism.[28][29]

Claimed sources of B12 that have been shown to be inadequate or unreliable through direct studies[30] of vegans include laver (a seaweed), barley grass, and human gut bacteria."

+1

Duncan Idaho. A good b-12 supplement costs less than fifty cents a week to take and can help you avoid a number of nasty irreversible health problems.

There is nothing to gain from avoiding b-12 supplements and significant things to lose.

One thing keeps bothering me about this thread.

Veganism, in addition to attracting some great people, also tends to attract a number of negative personality types.

The same way this second group lives veganism while they are vegans, often comes back to haunt veganism when they quit and turn those negative personality traits against veganism.