gloves recommendations for wrist pain?

Greetings folks,

So I have a problem; I'm a studio musician and have a family history of wrist problems. When I start lifting a lot, I start experiencing problems with my wrists hurting. Are there any recommendations for gloves to help protect them, or any other tips for that matter? I can't afford to have problems with my wrists because it hinders my playing and that's where I make my money! So any advice would be wonderful. Hope all is well with you folks, and keep up the good work!

Sean

Gloves helping wrist ?

Perhaps you should consider http://www.google.com.sg/imglanding?q=wrist%20support&imgurl=http://www.unitedathletic.com/images/NeopreneThumbWristSupport.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.unitedathletic.com/WristSupportsAndBraces.html&usg=__spyi6uVjvskW0Zw02c_oZRc_5w0=&h=323&w=468&sz=20&hl=en&sig2=Hh9pZn6IpHrtOdcVGcpiCg&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=LW6TSBhfkzU0TM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwrist%2Bsupport%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DzBM%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=EIsxTLbNEpGTkAXT9tRY&um=1&client=firefox-a&hs=zBM&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbs=isch:1&start=0#tbnid=LW6TSBhfkzU0TM&start=0

Is there any unusual conformation of your wrists - anything unusual in the shape or structure?

Your wrists might need more time to get used to the extra work and might need to be eased in more gently.

Many of us use the wrist and finger flexors much more than we use the extensors. Perhaps this is causing some problem. If so, you could exercise them by using bands to offer resistance against opening your fingers, or the more usual wrist exercises using weights. You could also do some isometric exercises, where you try to bend your wrist backwards with the hand fully open but resist that with your other hand pressing against the fingers.

On the gymnasticbodies site they show an exercise which they call wrist pushups. I would think these will make the wrist extensors work really hard. Anyone who tries them should be very careful and stop immediately any pain is experienced. They are an advanced exercise designed for gymnasts. I don't know how gymnasts fare when they get older but I don't think I would want to do the full version of this exercise in case it puts too much stress on the wrists or hands.

I have tried them against a wall. I stand about 3 feet from it and press up and down against the wall. It's quite easy at that distance but I would need padding under my hands if I wanted to increase the resistance. Or an incline board could be used.

They can be seen here:

ht----tp://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=860&start=15

The easier versions could be worth a try for anyone who wants to strengthen their wrists - as long as they are careful.

I'm not sure what he is going on about when he talks about 'dorsal pushups'.

Thanks for all the info so far. I notice my wrists hurting when I start adding bench press to my workouts rather than just pushups. I've looked up the proper gripping technique in the past and am fairly certain that I am gripping the bar correctly. But sometimes I get it with pushups even. People in my family have a tendency to develop wrist problems, too. Other than that, they're pretty normal wrists! haha. I'm also on the computer a lot because I produce bands, and I'm sure that is just adding to all the issues.

• 1 year later...