Raw Foodism

A well done video. I wasn't happy that the author didn't name himself or his credentials, but he listed a number of citations to back up his claims in part 2. To see the references on part 2 video click on the button that looks like upside down corporal stripes. Normally, I would not consider listing references to be enough ( i.e. does the person have the training to interpret the studies correctly? ), but the health concerns listed are ones I have seen echoed by vegan RDs and journalists across various articles.

Raw foodists may just want to skip to part 2, as it lists the pitfalls of raw diets and hearing that list may give them ideas as to how avoid those problems like getting insufficient calories, tooth decay, etc.

Part 1

Part 2

When I tried to eat raw first, with lots of nuts and seeds, uncooked broccoli, cauliflower, etc., and with salt, oil, spices, onions, garlic... I really had digestion problems, and I felt like shit.

On the other hand- when I started to eat 811, and paying attention that my fruit is actually ripe (no acidic oranges, lemons, clementines, etc - just the RIPE ones), especially bananas, I felt great!

I must point out, however, that I feel the same benefits when I eat predominantly fruit, and add some cooked rice, buckwheat, quinoa, steamed or baked skin potatoes (no oil, no salt added), or steamed broccoli, carrots, pumpkin, etc. As long as it is LOW FAT, I feel great. I tried to eat lots of legumes, but in my experience, it makes me feel not so good. During the time I found out that chickpeas are best for my stomach, and I eat them very often.

BUT, I must say that I eat all that "secondary" food, as I call it, (grains, potatoes, legumes), only because I don't have access to a wide variety of ripe fruits all the time, especially tropical fruits, which I consider best food ever! So I need to use "second best" food to get my carbs. I still think carbs should be 80 % of the diet.

If I had unlimited access to beautiful tropical fruits, I would never look back to cooked food again. Ever! Really, I know it, since the best part of my day is always the first part of the day when I eat my fruits. Today it was 15 oranges before gym and 8 bananas with 5 dates afterwards. HEAVEN!

But for now, I would never make my diet to be like eating only bananas and 3 or 4 other fruits as my only food. I would do it occasionaly, but not long term. Eating ONLY bananas and 3 or 4 other friuits, all the time, can't be healthy, I agree.

And about "superfoods", it is so obvious it is only marketing. Nobody can make me believe that my health depends on maca, waca, caca and such stuff...

does this mean that they are B12 deficient for life?

If they don't die from a stroke or a heart attack as a result from the deficiency, no. However, it can take a long time ( months or years ) of steadily getting b-12 every day to rebuild their bodily storage. It only happens so fast. It can also take months or years to reverse the damage ( arteriosclerosis ) if the damage can be reversed ( nerve damage, storkes, heart attacks ).