whole foods vs. processed

Paige

I would like to remove any processed foods from my diet. That means no tofu, seitan, tempeh, protein powders, bars, etc. I do know that this will significantly reduce protein intake. I would like to hear what others think on this issue. Is it better for training to just stay whole or do you need some processed in there for adequate nutrients? The reason for doing this is I think it is just healthier for my body. And I am a fitness competitor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't think mildly processed foods are inherently unhealthy. The devil is in the details. How was it processed? What was added or removed? What chemicals were used? What temperature changes did the food undergo? If you know these things then you know how much you should worry. For example, tempeh is just fermented soybeans, so, processed, but very little. And I haven't found a study yet that shows detrimental effects from adding tempeh to a diet. So instead of cutting out all forms of all processed foods, try and cut down on the most heavily processed foods in your diet, then go from there.

If you're going to have processed soy the best form of it is Tempeh; as when the soy is fermented all the toxins are deactivated in the product making it extremely safe to eat. Hence why all of the asians used to ferment it for thousands of years.

But processed foods arent overly bad 'on occasion'.

Just stick to "Everything in moderation" and you will be fine!

It's really all about your personal goals and ethics. For me, I eat whole foods 90% of the time and then choose what processed foods I eat based upon the company producing them and their dedication to environmentalism/sustainability. However, that's just me and it's always about what you, as an individual, want to get out of what you eat - if you're only concerned with the aesthetic repercussions of your diet, you could eat only processed foods and, as long as you stay within your caloric/macronutrient needs, see good results even if other aspects of your health decline.

If you want good all-around health, though, I'd say moderation is the key since physical appearance is not the only marker of health.