Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

I think you'd need the DNA of a god to become that big/lean & strong.  

Quite true. The ones I've heard are clean/most likely clean are usually the ones that don't look as freakish (think Dave Ostlund, Phil Pfister, etc.) who had much more 'normal' bulky builds while maintaining great strength. As with any sport, once you get close to the top, most who may have never planned on using often end up doing so just because it's the only way to reach your peak and be on top since everyone else is in the same boat!

But, yeah, 300+ lbs. with single-digit bodyfat as I saw in a photo taken of Poundstone last week with veins popping out all over the place, it's pretty well not going to happen without some chemical assistance

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its the one I saw doing the rounds then ye I agree he looked huge but also cut to hell.

Maybe just how I think now but I'd rather be built like, all be it a smaller zydrunas savickas & know it's me doing the lifting.

Like you say though if those a round you are using how else can you really compete

If its the one I saw doing the rounds then ye I agree he looked huge but also cut to hell.

Maybe just how I think now but I'd rather be built like, all be it a smaller zydrunas savickas & know it's me doing the lifting.

Like you say though if those a round you are using how else can you really compete

I'm assuming it was this photo:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/attachments/appreciation-threads/4055d1330383378-derek-poundstone-appreciation-thread-poundstone.jpg

For someone that is 330lb there, that is simply amazing. Hard to get my head around!

One of my favourites in Strongman, he's definately very aware of what he is putting into his body although I can 100% guarantee you that he is not drug free. There's a great little interview one of my friends got with him a few days before this years Arnold Strongman competition, it's an 'off the record' one so has never been officially posted up anywhere. I'll find it and post it up as I thought it was an interesting read

Poundstone is a busy man. Got married, opened a new gym, training for the Arnold, working full time, doing the Poundstone Power radio show, eating... you get the idea. I asked Derek if I could do a quick interview with him about his Arnold prep. A bit apprehensive at first due to his crazy schedule and my lack of tech savvy (inability to record phone calls, or lack of knowledge on how to do so) he quickly changed his mind and agreed to a quick email interview.

He not only does what he does, overcomes injuries, balances a crazy life but also still takes time for the "little guy". He is the best ambassador of the sport hands down. Enough of my yapping, heres the interview with his responses in red:

1 - Did you have any direct focus for this years Arnold training? Maybe bringing up a weak point or elaborating on a strong point?

My focus this year was to increase my static lifts when relating to the Arnold (deadlift and overhead press ) to rival the best static lifters in the world.

2 - I noticed on Facebook you mentioned that you were hitting several PRs in training the past few weeks. Coming from slightly more of a PLing background we try to peak on the platform rather than the gym. I take it you don't worry about peaking too early?

Peaking too early is a concern of mine, no one said my PR's were max attempts. In the recent YouTube video compilation pay particular attention to the 450 lb log press and 1005 lb reverse band pull, they weren't max effort. Im leaving my best for the competition, I'm pretty sure I will surprise a few people. The weight I've been moving has been insane lately and I have more in the tank.

Me: true. if you notice in the video his 450 log press is quicker and smoother than his 440.

3 - In the 2 most recent FB pics you posted you are 330 and very lean. Is that conditioning a focus of your training or a side effect of the way you train. Curious since many strength athletes are not as lean? Do you feel this condition will be beneficial in such a short heavy contest?

*For the readers: The Arnold is a 2 day event with brutal weights versus WSM which is 2 weeks long typically with "slightly lighter" events which require more athleticism (relatively speaking of course, they are all heavy!)

The perceived "conditioned" look is not a byproduct of cardio, I did none for the last month. I eat clean, train smart and respect what my body is capable of. The results of my desire to control every variable of what I put in my body and what work I can put out has resulted in my appearance. I find the low bf% helps my recovery. On a side note; I find myself in a sort of no-mans land. Fans of bodybuilding comment on my body fat being to high for their liking and fans of strength give me grief for being lean. I figured after being a professional strength athlete for 8 years now, people would get used to the idea that I'm a leaner athlete.

4 - New gym, full time police officer, Poundstone Power Radio, silly internet interviews... you are obviously very busy. How much sleep do you average a night? Do you feel more rest would yield better performance?

At times I go stretches with 4-5 hours a night but I feel best with 7 hours. Unfortunately that's not always possible but I live by the mantra, "no excuses".

5 - Diet/Nutrition - Anything new? Your Poundstone shakes became a popular conversation piece. You still drinking those? Calorie estimate per day for Arnold prep? And finally, how were the Birthday cake Oreos? I love Oreos!

The Oreo's are good but its Kristins way of living vicariously through myself. My calories are over 6,000 daily while prepping for te Arnold. What I'm doing different this time around; I've been spending more time working with my coach Thomas Ciaffiglione. He's been a great help since 2005 but now we work together daily plotting my training and food. The best part is he is the manager and was trainer at Poundstone Performance Training Center. We've found that the lessons learned by tweaking my workout have a direct application for the average person that wants to lose body fat and feel better about themselves. To date I've helped 4 average formerly obese guys lose over 100 lbs, I'm working on my 5th client who's down over 70 lbs since Nov 2011 and the most rewarding part is I haven't charged a penny. It's been my way of passing on the knowledge I've learned. These guys never asked for my help, it was just a seamless process. Because of time constraints my current project, his name is Bubba, will be my last. Tom and I are taking this knowledge and using it with out current gym clientele. Interesting enough, all my help has been over email or phone as a consultation and 3 of the guys are long haul truck drivers. This only proves my idea of "high performance living" that anyone can achieve greatness as long as they get the proper knowledge and someone to support them. If you think you're interested in making a change in your life, anything from losing a few lbs, getting in shape or reaching you maximum potential as an athlete, Tom and I can help, call my gym at (203) 721-7066 and leave a message or for you text junkies, text me your info to 505-433-PPWR (7797). We're building te Poundstone Performance website so for now phone and google text are best. Also check out http://www.poundstonepower.com

Good Luck Derek! Your always a crowd favorite. Shorter, leaner, overcoming injuries, opening gyms, doing radio shows, etc... your hard guy not to root for. Thanks for your time!

You're to kind. I don't think in a crowd favorite, I just think it's easy to root for all the athletes at this level. We all love what we do and it comes across to the fans.

THURSDAY 8th March

BODYWEIGHT: 146

TRAINING TIME: 4pm

DURATION: 45mins

COMMENTS: Good session, strength was there this afternoon although I didn't push anything

WEEK: CRUISING

RESTING PULSE RATE: 46

PRE WO NUTRITION:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1436

POST WO NUTRITION: Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens

CHEST

PRESSUPS (Warmup)

INC. B.BELL PRESS

44 x 15

88 x 10

132 x 6

154 x 6

176 x 4

PEC DECK

73 x 12

88 x 12

FLAT D.BELL PRESS

40 x 10

66 x 6

79 x 8

Great DL session tonight, felt strong with every set ~ did 10 of them. Will write up tomorrow, it's midnight now. Will get a protein shake into me and then head off to bed.

Used the 33's to significantly increase the ROM and make it tougher. Worked up to a final set of a little over 5PPS, which felt pretty comfortable actually.

MONDAY 13th March

BODYWEIGHT: 146

TRAINING TIME: 9.10pm

DURATION: 70mins (including cardio)

COMMENTS: Great DL's after not having done them for a while. Hips low, great leg drive and all sets felt great

WEEK: TECHNIQUE

RESTING PULSE RATE: 44

APPETITE: GOOD

PRE WO NUTRITION: Raw vege & salad wrap in a gluten free bread

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273496&d=1331595814&thumb=1

POST WORKOUT NUTRITION: Soy banana protein shake + 5g creatine

DEADLIFT NIGHT

RAW DL's (no belt, no chalk & using the 33's to increase ROM)

1PPS x 10

2PPS x 10

3PPS x 12

RAW DL's (belt, no chalk)

4PPS x 4

4.66PPS x 3

5PPS x 2 (easy)

5.33PPS x 1 (comfortable)

4PPS x 4

RAW DL's (no belt, no chalk)

3PPS x 4

2PPS x 4

1pps x 5

CARDIO

Treadmill

10mins: Incline 1.5, speed 5.5kph

** 11 sets all up, the 5.33PPS equates to 180kg which flew up very comfortably. The set before that actually felt easy. My technique is probably 50% better now than what it was 6 months ago.

THURSDAY 15th March

BODYWEIGHT: 147.5

TRAINING TIME: 4pm

DURATION: 45mins

COMMENTS: Despite feeling like shit it was actually a reasonably decent session

WEEK: TECHNIQUE

RESTING PULSE RATE: 70

APPETITE: GOOD

PRE WO NUTRITION:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273658&d=1331785324&thumb=1

POST WO NUTRITION:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273659&d=1331785351&thumb=1

CHEST

STANDING OLYMPIC B.BELL MILITARY

44 x 15

66 x 10

88 x 10

BOTTOM POS. 'DEAD-STOP' BENCH

110 x 10

154 x 8

176 x 5

220 x 3

INC. D.BELL PRESS

40 x 10

66 x 8

75 x 8

D.BELL SHRUGS (leaning slightly forward)

75 x 10

75 x 10

My technique is probably 50% better now than what it was 6 months ago.[/i]

Definitely a reason to grin - the better the form, the stronger you are.

Keep it crushing it, mate - your bench and military numbers are looking solid.

Thanks ~ the military's were actually just to warm up the shoulders for the pressing work ahead.

Might do some heavy ones next time I hit up shoulders. Hope you have a great weekend !!

Hi MF

Hope you had a good weekend, i am back in the game so no arse kicking required - phew. Only cardio today as i am switching training days around to re address the work/training balance, i have got to do a shed load of overtime for the foreseeable future - but its ok i shall fit everything in.

speak soon

Just got a signed photo of my all time favourite band in the post yesterday

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274297&d=1332308319&thumb=1

Oh, and I finally got round to hanging our new TV on the wall. Looks okay, just not as big as the one I had my eyes on. Guess that's what happens when a woman ends up doing the TV shopping, SMH.

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274298&d=1332363886&thumb=1

Have been taking some downtime away from the gym, just enjoying my family and chilling out. Actually been doing some running (I'm a former ultramarathoner) so who knows... I'm kind of torn right now between the running and the powerlifting haha.... as individual sports go they mix about as well as concrete. Hmmmmmm.

Hey MF,

Thanks for dropping by my thread, i had always be worried about taking a week off in the past because it would lead to bad eating habits but this week it was not a problem. Couldnt wait to get back in the gym and feel great now.

Hope your training is going well, keep up the great work on your journal.

Matt

In case any of you are wondering, yes I'm still training but I'm purely working on technique and improving my form right now. Workouts are pretty basic, weight is on the lower side while I get things sorted so I didn't feel like boring everyone by posting them up !!

Life has been crazy recently, hence another reason I haven't been on here much this last couple of weeks or so. Work has been busy and I've secured a few nice writing deals. Bought a motorbike last week, have my learners test in a couple of hours time...

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=275024&d=1333490299&thumb=1

Had a shitty day last week and decided to take myself shopping ~ I hit the Louis Vuitton shop hard which did make me feel better

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=275023&d=1333490226&thumb=1

Treated the wife to a new watch and handbag as well...

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=275022&d=1333490215&thumb=1

I have been training but TBH it feels like I'm just going through the motions right now. It's been a long time since that hasn't overly concerned me but I'm happy just enjoying life right now and all it has to offer!