Half marathon & weight lifting

stoumi

At what point in my training would I stop weight lifting or deload. I am about 7 weeks into a 16 week program that leads up to my race day in early August. I don't want to stop lifting completely as it's my primary focus, but since adding a running program to my life I want to take a step to participating in a marathon next year. Both lifting (7 months on SL5x5) and running (2 months) are new into my life.

Well when you are getting to a couple of months out from a primary race I would really think about giving your running the primary focus over the weights. I'm not sure what you do for your legs in the gym, but personally when I am in a running phase (rather than when I'm powerlifting) I change the exercises to lessen the chance of me getting any DOMS a day or two afterwards. Last thing you need when you are trying to stick to a running programme!

With regards to muscle soreness, when I'm running I HAVE to drop squats as the DOMS do me no favours; I tend to prefer more functional exercises that will benefit the running itself, emphasising things like plyometrics, more hamstring moves, leg press over squats etc. IMHO you can still maintain your strength and muscle on just 2-3 days of weight training per week ~ just make those sessions count

As a sidenote I also make sure I bump up my magnesium intake as well as taking a large amount of omega 3's (the ones I use are algal sourced). Magnesium is really important and something that every runner should probably be taking, and I find the omega 3's to be beneficial in terms of optimising my recovery as well as the other well known proven benefits. Good luck with the race!

• 4 weeks later...

Lifting is counter productive to cardio gainz.

Cardio gainz are counter productive to lifting gainz.

Why don't you see Kenyans in the gym?

Why don't you see male fitness models running regular races?

Pick a sport you want to dominate in. Otherwise you are diluting your efforts and might be disappointed at your gainz in either. The reason I can run so fast and ride so fast is that Im weak in the gym. The reason Im weak in the gym is cos I can run and ride so fast. Focus on what you want. Can't have both. Ive never met an impressive runner or cyclist that had an impressive physique. Ive never met someone with an impressive physique that was impressive at running or cycling.

Females excepted.

I agree with what you are saying, but having said that although it's hard combining running and lifting it can be done.

Check out my log if you want to, on Sunday I ran 34km in the morning and hit the gym at night. My goal right now is to be strong as well as as fit and fast as possible.