My garden for this year!

Kathryn

I'm excited about my veggie garden (which is in 1/4 of my front yard, the other 3/4 being butterfly and bird attracting plants and flowers---I see little purpose in having a front "yard"). I already have some strawberries that are flowering (they were extra plants from a hanging planter I had that never produced much...but these 'extra' plants have been coming back and spreading).

I just placed an order from "Seeds of Change" (organic seeds and seedlings, and many heirloom varieties).

I bought some tomato seedlings (don't like to start them from seed) for six different plants, seeds for two types of beans, some peas, basil, marigolds (as insect repellant, decoration and maybe even to eat!), catnip (for the kids! but I think I'll have to at least start it inside, because every time I try catnip outside, the neighborhood roaming cats decimate it within a couple of days).

I also bought some butterfly-attracting plants (seedlings) to add to my back butterfly 'oasis" (which is mostly coneflowers right now, but is sunnier after a couple of branches had to be removed from a tree that was making a bit of shade there.

Anybody else have a garden?

What do you like to plant?

I'd like to plant some kohlrabi as well, but they didn't have any (we used to grow it all the time when I was a kid and I really like it, but I never see it in stores. Must be a bohunk thing!).

I so wish I had a garden but we live in an apartment building. I think it will be a while before we can afford to have any outdoor space.

Do you have a terrace? A place for a window planter? You can do some container planting.

When I was a kid, we had a big but shady backyard, not good for a garden, but some people my parents worked for (they were house painters) had extra space and they let my parents rent it for a garden. One year they had two separate garden spaces.

we usually do like garlic, tomatoes (10000000x better then store bought junk), parsley, green onion (yummmm with tomato) all the basic stuff

Somehow, garlic and onions just don't appeal to me as garden plants. Taking one small version of something or one seed and having it become one vegetable is just not as rewarding and planting one seed and getting a plant that produces dozens of veggies. Though I do have chives....all over the place!...from three plants I planted about 8 years ago. They just keep spreading like mad, even into the cracks of the sidewalk, and into my backyard. Note to self: be sure to cut heads off chives before they go to seed! (I do like to leave the flowers for beneficial insects).

I would love to start a garden but find it intimidating.

I am going to try some basil this year as I've been making homemade pesto & am tired of paying $4 for a handful of the stuff.

Kathryn, your garden sounds wonderful! I love coneflowers!

I am going to try some basil this year as I've been making homemade pesto & am tired of paying $4 for a handful of the stuff.

I LOVE basil!

Several years ago, I planted a combo of several different types of basil, including one with huge leaves that you can use to wrap things in. Unfortunately, it's an annual, and (unlike chives!) won't come back unless you save it by potting it and putting it indoors. Good idea to make an indoor herb garden.

It's also tough to get good, fresh basil in stores (and it doesn't last long once picked).

I would love to be able to grow vegetables (broccoli, tomatoes, radicchio, spinach, celery, red peppers, various beans -- add a few rocks for mushrooms like button and portabella ), fruits (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, apples, peaches, lemons, oranges, kiwis, bananas, watermelon, pineapple ) and various spices.

Oh and maybe grow some almonds and walnuts .... I wonder what kind of place I'd need to build for all those climates and soil types !

• 17 years later...

Hi, gardening enthusiasts! Just wanted to recommend that you consider tissue culture thai constellation for all your seed and plant needs. I recently bought some tropical plants from them and I am blown away by how beautiful they are. The website is very easy to navigate and my order was delivered quickly and in excellent condition. If you are looking to add some new plants to your garden, be sure to check them out!