What is muscle failure?

when you do so many reps that you cant continue with another 1..... why would you avoid it? get to muscle failure = more muscle

Not necessarily. For instance, if you go to muscle failure on every set, not only will you fry your central nervous system, but also do less reps:

To failure on the bench for example:

12x80kg

6x80kg

4x80kg

2x80kg

1x80kg - total 23 reps

Instead of going to failure on every set, do eight reps instead, and you end up with 32 reps across four sets. This way you save you CNS and give your muscles more work. I have just started a squat program that has me squatting twice a week, with the first week with 6x6x70% then 7x5x75%. I dont go to failure, but still I make way more reps than if I went to failure, hence growing more muscle.

But that said, more reps isn't always the best. You want to cycle low rep, high weight routines with high rep, lower weight routines to get maximum effect. Grow mass to use for strength, use strength to grow mass

Jonathan

I won't be going to a gym until this fall, so I am somewhat limited, just have dumbells, and I've been doing pushups, though with my feet up on the bed so it is an incline.

I am trying to compensate a bit by doing slower reps, like at least 5 seconds down, 5 up... anyway, I thought I had heard somewhere that going slowly will help to build mass and strength-

JB

Muscle failure is when you send them to college for 4 years, and then they come home and say "Dad, I've quit school to join a rock band" and you feel your stomach come up into your throat, and you throw your head back and ask "WHY?!? WHYYY!!!!!!"..... oh wait... maybe that's not muscle failure....

I would have to agree with Jonathan on this. Muscle failure is not a prerequisite for muscle growth, nor is "perceived" effort. Only the numbers will indicate if you're making progress or not.