Touching the Chest with the Bar when Bench Pressing

When I am doing a heavy weight I seem to find it really difficult to touch my chest with the bar at the bottom of the movement when bench pressing. I get very close to my chest, but don't actually touch, and when I do I seem to lose all momentum...

I use a standard grip and standard bar, do many other people have this problem?

Chris

Edited by sydneyvegan

No, I don't have that problem. I think that you may have a psychologic fear of it, rather than a physical reason. I say this because you say it's only on heavy weights. It's always best to do the full range of motion so just work your way up with always touching the chest until you are back to where you are now.

Jonathan

I dont always touch either, but I agree with Jonathan on the psychological barrier. I think a way to conquer it is to get a spotter, or you can work on doing one rep at a time and re wrack after each rep. Then you know you can lift the weight correctly and perhaps that is all you need to beat your fear.

Thanks...

I think Jonathan might be on to something in regards to the psychological barrier... I usually train with a gym buddy, I guess I am just not that confident in their ability as a spotter. I think I might need to find someone else to spot me from now on so that I can get my confidence and technique back on heavier weights...

Chris

Yeah I'd recommend working up with lighter weights that you're comfortable with touching your chest with, then work up gradually to the weight you want. I think full range of motion is important word up. There was this one guy I knew who didn't use full range of motion, then he got run over by a bus. So it's better to be safe than sorry. Of course the factors in my anecdote may be fictional.

On the same subject. My brother trains for football at a local gym. He does strength training. When they bench, they use what they call boards which are really just pieces of 2x4. They put them on there chest and train like that. Obviously you can do more weight with say 5 boards than none. They gradually worked each weight to zero boards. An interesting idea. My system has springs that you can raise or lower. I don't have a freeweight persay. The bar is on like a track.

I have trained with boards but I'm not very fond of them. Actually it did screw up my bench for a while, as I wasn't comfortable going through the whole range of motion. That isn't to say that it's not effective, as it is for many people. Just a cautionary tale

Jonathan

...I think full range of motion is important word up. There was this one guy I knew who didn't use full range of motion, then he got run over by a bus. So it's better to be safe than sorry. Of course the factors in my anecdote may be fictional.

I guess now that I have brought this up, I have noticed that a lot of people at my gym don't go very low on their benching movements at all. I guess now that I have been concentrating on touching my chest on every rep, I am noticing that you have to get the bar position just right or you feel it in your shoulders a bit... Anyways, it's all good

Oh and thanks Richard... I've been watching out for buses...

So the bar is meant to touch your chest then? I've also heard that it's best not to touch the chest?

A physical therapist, who worked with me twice because of my recent should injury, said not to go down that far on bench press because it is putting much of the pressure on the shoulders to initially lift it back up, if bar on your chest (he said shoulder muscle are heavily burden that low and your chest is not doing as much the first inch or so, if bar starts that low.)

Is he wrong?

So the bar is meant to touch your chest then? I've also heard that it's best not to touch the chest?

A physical therapist, who worked with me twice because of my recent should injury, said not to go down that far on bench press because it is putting much of the pressure on the shoulders to initially lift it back up, if bar on your chest (he said shoulder muscle are heavily burden that low and your chest is not doing as much the first inch or so, if bar starts that low.)

Is he wrong?

I don't know - that's what I heard too, and was surprised to read so many people advocating the bar touching the chest.

If your shoulder is bothering you then don't go down as far. The first 15 years I lifted my shoulders never bothered me and I used a full range of motion. They've slowly started bothering me this last year and I'm starting to get away from a full ROM.