Guess this is a beginner question

I've been in the gym on and off since i was a teenager. I have always been in decent shape, but now after shoulder surgery, I really want to step up my workouts.

My basic workout routine is to hit each body part twice a week with weights. I hit each body part with three different exercises. For example, chest would be flat/incline/decline...then next workout out i might change up one to flyes...alternating between machines and free weights.

I have had to really step up my cardio because i have some intense training classes coming up in October. 2 a day workouts in the class...part of the training is running 3 miles each time..8 minute miles...So i have really had to step up my running and cardio. I am doing about 45 minutes of cardio a day, probably 6 times a week, alternating between running/swimming/eliptical...I know its a lot, but i need to be ready and get my running time down.

My wife is a power yoga instructor, so starting about 3 weeks ago, i am also doing about an hour of yoga 5 times a week. I initially thought the class was just stretching until i put my ego aside, and got in there. They kicked my butt. I think i counted over 100 pushups throughout the various movements. I came outa there with a new respect for that power yoga class. They also heat the room, so u are sweating like a pig by the time its over. Hell of a workout!!

So thats my basic workout. I still need to cut about 7 more lbs of fat to get my six pack. Its a struggle. I think my main problem is with my job, workouts, and family time, I only get between 2-4 hours of sleep a day. If I am lucky, I get an hour nap in the evening sometimes. I work nites so its real hard on the body anyway. I know thats REAL bad, and you need sleep to grow, but my that's my schedule right now. I work double shifts three days a week, so I usually just get the yoga and cardio in, and pickup the weights the next day.

I havent asked any questions yet. Question. Am i doing too much?? I'm afraid of getting burned out, but I don't know where to cut back. I need the cardio and running to prepare. I need the weights to grow. I need to yoga to get the range of motion back into my shoulder.

I just started supplementing this week with creatine and l-glut. I know supplements are for another section, but since i'm typin a novel here, I might as well throw that one in there too.

Any advice is wanted and appreciated!!!

Personally I feel if your making reasonable improvents your not overtraining...even not improving isn't so bad...the way I trained I would really get weaker throughout the week then when I rested briefly I would be much stronger. I too get 3-4hrs of sleep but thats due to a sleeping disorder...I've learned to adjust to it over the last 10yrs and I'm just a little lazier than most when I'm not working out. As for the shoulder I feel you pain...I've had over ten dislocations of my left shoulder and I managed to comeback from all of them other than the last but that was a personal choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, you should get more sleep, gotta take care of yourself- I think adults need at least 6.5-8.5 hours a night to function. I don;t mean to lecture here, but your mental and physical health is worth it, to you and your family.

JB

I never had trouble gaining muscle working each muscle three times a week...surely some of it was natural...and maybe I could have been bigger if I worked each muscle only twice a week but I gained pretty regular muscle mass with my restfree training rotating upper body to legs every other day...in all reality I probably only rested my legs once a week at most since I threw every day unless the weather was too poor(meaning thunder...I'd throw in nearly any amount of rain). This was also with very little sleep but then again I was also younger.