Plastic garbage polluting the sea..

andesuma

We live in a plastic convenience culture; virtually every human being on this planet uses plastic materials directly and indirectly every single day. Our babies begin life on Earth by using some 210 million pounds of plastic diaper liners each year; we give them plastic milk bottles and plastic toys, and buy their food in plastic jars, paying with a plastic credit card. Even avoiding those babies by using contraceptives results in mass disposal of billions of latex condoms, diaphragms, and hard plastic birth control pill containers each year.

Every year we eat and drink from some 34 billion newly manufactured bottles and containers. We patronize fast food restaurants and buy products that consume another 14 billion pounds of plastic. In total, our societies produce an estimated 60 billion tons of plastic material every year.

Each of us on average uses 190 pounds of plastic annually: bottled water, fast food packaging, furniture, syringes, computers and computer diskettes, packing materials, garbage bags and so much more. When you consider that this plastic does not biodegrade and remains in our ecosystems permanently, we are looking at an incredibly high volume of accumulated plastic trash that has been built up since the mid-20th century. Where does it go? There are only three places it can go: our earth, our air and our oceans.

the entire article here: http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_1342.cfm

This is why I am raw, for the environment.

I try and produce as little waste as possible, especially plastic waste.

& one day, when we are all able to turn our landfills/waste into sustainable

energy, we will rid ourselves and mother earth of this horrible burden..

I'm not completely raw, but I buy things in bulk, so I produce minimal waste.

I hate at the store when they have the plastic bags to carry produce in though, and the little stickers. It's like "I don't want to produce trash, so you stick it to my food."

I think the solution is bio-plastics made from corn and other carbon based life above the surface. It can be engineered to degrade in a much shorter amount of time than petroleum based plastics

I remember you were talking about that a while ago. I wonder if that could happen, or if the current plastic industry is too powerful to want that to happen though.