In Training: what is your chest to back ratio.

9nines

My shoulder is still bothering me. I am wondering if it is being caused by over training my chest relative to my back.

Two months ago, a message therapist said my shoulders were pulling forward some. I did not think much of it but today, I was listening to a fitness radio show. A caller, with similar problems to mine, called the show. The host gave him some suggestions. One was that he might be over training his chest relative to his back, in which case the tighter chest muscles are pulling his shoulders forward and putting higher pressure on his shoulder bones and ligaments, all the time. He said this is a common problem with men (although they might not have the pain signs.) He said most men put much more time and training in their chest than back and their shoulders are pulled forward.

As them, that is me. I would estimate I train my chest to back in a ratio of 75/25 or maybe even 80/20.

Anyone agree that that could be a source of shoulder problems?

In changing this should I (1) reverse the chest to back training ratio of 75/25 to 75/25 back to chest until back catches up then go same training effort on both or should I (2) just do them 50/50 right now and going forward?

Note: I still do other body parts (i.e. I do not mean I spend 75% of training time on chest and 25% on back and none on other body parts, when I state 75/25); I am just highlighting the chest to back ratio for this question.

I also think bad posture and tightness has a LOT to do with this....compounded by computer/desk-bound work.

I have a similar problem (shoulders slumped forward) caused by years of back posutre and years of yoga has managed to aleviate it to some degree....

I would estimate I train my chest to back in a ratio of 75/25 or maybe even 80/20.

Anyone agree that that could be a source of shoulder problems?

Absolutely!

The chest/front shoulder are often tighter anyway, because we spend a lot of time sitting, bending forward, pushing in our daily lives (vs. pulling---unless you row boats a lot, or saw wood a lot, you are already gettting more chest than back in your daily activities.)

The chest/back imbalance is very common in those who work out in gyms, and work their 'mirror' muscles (chest, front shoulder, biceps) more than the back muscles.

I'd start by doing a bit more back than chest work (maybe 2-3 more exercises for back than chest), then once things have balanced out, moving to just doing 1 more exercise for back than chest.

It's also important to work the rear shoulders (often neglected, while front shoulders are often overworked, because they are also worked during chest presses) to prevent/correct shoulder muscle imbalance that can lead to rotator cuff problems.

Most definitely, balance things out a bit more. Figure in comparison the size of the muscles in the chest to those in the back, and you'll see why the back can handle a much greater workload and needs more attention than the chest does. Most people don't do this, though, as it isn't nearly as much that people are noticed and complimented on having a nice back anywhere near as much as they'll get complimented on their chest

It isn't a guarantee that the lack of back focus is the main reason (I train chest about 1-2 times monthly and still have shoulders that roll forward slightly), but it can definitely help a bit to increase balance and reduce the chances of it getting worse in time.

I trained both equally hard ever other day(both on the same day)...not suprisingly I could dumbell press the same weight I would do one armed rows with...also for pretty much the same amount of reps and sets

• 2 weeks later...

Is back training better done on pulley systems or free weights? It seems akward pulling weights up etc., when using free weights for back. I am wondering if I should get a cage with a pulley system on it? I was going to get a squat stand for bench press but a cage would allow a pulley for back.

I think back training is better with free weights...a lat machine is great but weights and a pull up bar are good substitutes...you can't substitute dumbell rows with anything in my opinion