lecithen and guar gum

Honey

Hey all, I found a recipe for raw chocolate mousse cake online where lecithen and guar gum is part of the ingredients. I don't even know what these items are... I have a feeling that they are not raw ingredients and perhaps processed?

I think this is used in the recipe as a thickening agent ~ can anyone suggest alternative ingredients? I want to make this over the weeekend ~ I'm having a raw vegan potluck for meat eaters =)

Thanks in advance =)

Hey all, I found a recipe for raw chocolate mousse cake online where lecithen and guar gum is part of the ingredients. I don't even know what these items are... I have a feeling that they are not raw ingredients and perhaps processed?

I think this is used in the recipe as a thickening agent ~ can anyone suggest alternative ingredients? I want to make this over the weeekend ~ I'm having a raw vegan potluck for meat eaters =)

Thanks in advance =)

Lecithin (usually derived from soy: health food stores sell it) comes in either liquid or granular form. It is used to help bind ingredients that usually don't hold together (like oil and water). Lecithin can come from eggs as well, but it's usually soy based.

Guar gum is a thickener, and is plant source.

Kind of odd ingredients, IMO, for a raw recipe.

You could use raw psyllium husk, or flax meal, blended with some water (I have no idea about quantities or proportions!). I think Allissa Cohen has a recipe for raw fruit pie that uses one of these as a thickener. If I remember, I'll look it up (or remind me!).

Kind of odd ingredients, IMO, for a raw recipe.

You could use raw psyllium husk, or flax meal, blended with some water (I have no idea about quantities or proportions!). I think Allissa Cohen has a recipe for raw fruit pie that uses one of these as a thickener. If I remember, I'll look it up (or remind me!).

The recipe was from Green Chefs online, so I thought it was strange too. I never ended up making the the chocolate mousse cake, but made this REALLY awesome (raw) key lime pie instead. I will post the recipe with photo when I get a chance =)

Thanks for enlightening me on the ingredients!