Tribulus Terrestris and DHEA

jonzen

I am seeking your advice on this. I am currently taking Tribulus terrestris, supposedly a natural testosterone enhancer. My naturopath said it might be a good thing for me, so....... okay, I've been taking it now, about 150 mg each day, for about 2 weeks.

Now my trainer suggests I add DHEA to my diet. Does anyone have information, pro or con, on DHEA? Is it vegan?

I am also taking creatine daily. Any thoughts on this stuff?

Of course I want to do the right thing, not harm my body, plus not harm any animals in my quest to gain muscle and fitness. I am 55, have been working with a trainer for about 8 months now, and have made some good progress. I am not seeking to get big, I mean not huge, just seeking to be lean and kind of ripped.

Help!

Thanks in advance, this forum and it's members are terrific!

John

From Wikipedia:

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), is a natural steroid hormone produced from cholesterol by the adrenal glands, the gonads, adipose tissue and the brain. DHEA is the precursor of, androstenedione, testosterone and estrogen. It is the most abundant hormone in the human body.

It's probably not vegan... And also it seems to be an anabolic steroid... My advice would be to stay off the juice

Wiki on Tribulus terrestris:

It is now being promoted as a testosterone booster for the purpose of building muscle and increasing sex drive. Independent studies [4] have suggested that Tribulus terrestris extract does increase testosterone levels, though leaving them in the normal range, which is not thought to increase muscle development.

I have a theory (well, actually, I have many). As a vegan who works out you need to worry about getting deficient in 3 substances: B-12, vitamin D and spinach. Spinach kicks all kinds of supplement butt. In fact, since your trainer wants you to take anabolic steriods I would ask him how much spinach he eats because he sounds deficient to me

NO WAY am I going there! I have read that there is a natural vegan form of the suppliment DHEA that comes from wild yams. It is all so confusing sometimes! It seems everyone has a different story Yikes!

Okay, what about down comforters? My inclination is that they are wrong.....to take the down from geese has to be mistreatment. So then we are back to wool or cotton. I am not in favor of polyester either. Ahhhh!

I wish I could thrive on just air alone!

Okay, what about down comforters?

Yea, an animal byproduct. Poor birds :

...I wish I could thrive on just air alone!

Well, there are the Breathatarians

From what I understand, DHEA should only be considered in rare cases and under the advice of a physician. (There are risks associated with it, namely, cancer)

I think just lifting weights will give you size; your diet will aid in definition -- ripped .

Thank you, Offense74, Willpeavy, Kjtten, and raven for helping me out.

Being a true Vegan is certainly challenging, but I am certain it is the best way for me to exist in peace with all life on Earth.

My body has been telling me to get rid of the down comforter that came with my space. And I just unplugged the microwave oven and plan to give it to the humane society (but I don't want anyone to be harmed by it). I will keep asking questions of my fellow vegans, of which I am so thankful.

I just started today with Vega meal replacement after my workout. It was delicious! I added some organic blueberries and a half organic banana. Yumm!

So I will not take DHEA. The Tribulus terrestris is questionable. I guess creatine is okay. I don't know if being over 50 makes much difference. I have been training pretty hard for over 8 months. Sometimes after a workout and after a protein shake I get really tired! I even sometimes nap for a half hour after the shake. Have any of you experienced being sleepy after a workout? (I am 5'11" tall and weigh 165 pounds now)

Thank you all for making me feel at home here.

Namaste, John

Man, this is so good, just to hear from others, like you, Willpeavy and PelicanAndrew, that what I am experiencing, fatigue after my workout, is, like "normal"!

How about muscle pain after workouts?

I hardly EVER get sore even after a major workout with my trainer. (I am thankful, on my knees thankful, for this!) This fact is something my trainer can't figure out. I think maybe it has something to do with my practicing veganism? What do you think? How many of you get sore after hard workouts??

Give me another 5!!!

John

For me i get a little sore every time generally cause i usually rest too much(not with my new routine though).

If i take a huge break, oh man. I'm uber sore/stiff the next day.

Also if i strain myself(like i did yesterday) ouch. That's only ever happened twice in my entire life. Yesterday was the worse. I couldn't move for several hours.

I actually hate when i don't workout because i have all this pent up energy and stress. Unforunately, we all need off days.

My trainer wants me to not workout on Saturdays now. Of course my body just, blam, woke up at 5 AM per normal routine this morning! The gym doesn't even open up til 8!! I think maybe I've become addicted!

I've been working out pretty hard for about 8 months, at least for me. I have results to show but there is still a layer of fat holding on at the base of my back, just above my butt! I want it off of there! I know it means more cardio work, right? The rest of me is lean and getting more muscular.

(I was a very fat boy as a youth, up until high school when I stopped eating my Mom's food! Started eating carrots and drinking gallons of water! ) I've always wanted a ripped body and, of course, a six-pack!!!

Do you guys have any challenges with fat deposits?

Do you guys have any challenges with fat deposits?

This time I will beat _raVen_ on recommending Eat to live by Joel Fuhrman (ha, got you _raVen_ ).

He recommends a whole food plant-based diet. I feel that I have reached the goal he recommends and I've never felt better. I also had to struggle with the last 10-20 pounds I have left (I've already lost 110 ponds) and it seems like, with excersise, it slowly melts away.

If you want to work your midsection a little bit extra I can recommend jazz (dance) classes. They usually involve alot of strength training for the midsection (back, front and sides). It's also alot of fun

I know I need to quit eating so much of my Uncle Sam cereal with raisens!

And I am a total sap for great oatmeal cookies! (Janit Brockway from The Navigator News, here in Sisters, makes maybe the best oatmeal cookie with almonds and raisens in the world!) I often have one after a workout. Bad, huh?!

Jazz Dance! Yeah! Or maybe I should take the Spinning Class? I used to teach an aerobics class many years ago.....my students dropped like flies and I had to close it! Then I got a hernia from lifting too much on a deadlift, and my life changed for awhile. Now, all fixed.

Thanks Offense74 for the tips. I know you are right. More raw foods, the harder to digest the more the body has to work. I weigh 165 right now, height is 5'11". I think if I lost between 5-10 pounds, that bothersome collection of adipose tissue would be gone.

Gotta dance!

Oh, oh, I see... You meant you beat me "to it" Okay.

Yes, that's what I ment. My excuse for not getting it right is two-fold:

1. I normally speak Swedish and the training I got in the English language all comes from the Jerry Springer show.

2. I'm tall and I bang my head alot against various objects in places that are obviously built for hobbits.

Now I'm going to make some carrot juice and say stuff in Swedish.

... the training I got in the English language all comes from the Jerry Springer show.

Ah, so that explains quite a bit.

...I'm tall and I bang my head alot against various objects in places that are obviously built for hobbits.

As a card-carrying member of the ACLH (American Civil Liberities for Hobbits), I resem -- resent that remark.

....Now I'm going to make some carrot juice and say stuff in Swedish.

Do you make any sense in that language?