On Activism

Xavier

Follows is the most likely ignorant ramblings of someone's whose washing machine just won't finish so he can go to bed :@

Background: I share a house with a carnivore. One of my friends is vege, the rest are omni. I am not yet an ethical vegan (still researching and thinking), but am trialling a vegan lifestyle (1 week in - going well). I have only been a vegetarian for 6 months now.

I am interested in why people change their mind.

It appears that the majority of vegan activism is focussed on shock treatment - look how badly we're treating animals. This will not work for most people. Meat is so ingrained in society, society is so far removed from its production, and it tastes so good (to the average punter - not you or I obviously). Shock treatment immediately sends up walls - if there are rational arguments, why use such emotionally charged language? At least, this is the reaction of myself and peers. In addition, instinctively people do not feel animals are entitled to the same rights as humans, which allows them to justify (wrongly - see below) mistreatment of them for food, and as such dismiss veganism.

I came about veganism from a different angle. The turning point in my life was the realisation that a socratic "examined life" led to a happier, more worthwhile existence. Thank you Philosophy 101 - best class I ever did. The second was being given a clear, rational argument as to why meat consumption was hypocritical, through one of Peter Singer's public lectures. Why do we prohibit torture of animals for entertainment, yet allow it for food? I could not produce a reason, effectively forcing my hand to give up meat.

There is a common misconception that veg*n cuisine is a lacking subset of a full omni diet. I have come to realise that this is simply not true, veg*n diets provide a wealth of food choices that, while available to omnis, are rarely considered. My diet is more varied, healthy and tasty now than when I was eating meat. Unfortunately, "Vegan" is a prejudiced term. When inviting people around for tea, I don't feel it is necessary to let them know I am vegan (for culinary reasons). I cook a tasty meal, every one enjoys it, why should it matter to the omni whether it has meat in it or not? Most everyday meat (mince, chicken) is mostly tasteless anyway - it's the sauces and spices that really make a dish.

Two step guide to making people vegan

1) Convince them that an examined life is superior to the alternative - this is the tricky one. Everything follows from this.

2) Show them that a vegan diet is not handicapped, not in taste, variety, nor health

OK, washing is done, bed time. I wanted to write more about how I find the negative economic and environmental impact of animal production much more convincing than the animal rights approach, but that will have to wait for another day.

Please forgive the rant, hope it is somewhat sensical.

Good thoughts

I also think alot about these things and have come to realise that there is no rational reason whatsoever to eat animal products. Everybody loses.

1. There are plenty of evidence that it is not good for you.

2. There are plenty of evidence that it is not good for the environment (more or less bad depending on who you ask). This meens that it is not good for others either.

The animal rights angle is actually (at least for me) the rationally most tricky one. Emotionally it's easy for me, but decisions based on emotion varies depending on who you ask.

#1 takes away the egoistic argument (should work on objectivists but they seem slow to catch up ).

#2 takes away the utalitaristic argument.

You should ask them why they are not vegan since it's the only rational chiose to make regarding diet.

I also dislike the shock value but sometimes people don't even know how their meat gets to their plates and that alone may change their mind.

I agree with your philosophical standpoint, but not everyone is that intelligent and open minded. I just wish i could show everyone how wonderful i feel now that i've been vegan for almsot 4 months now. I'll never go back.

I have also thought about this. I think the shock stuff has a purpose. I know a few people who have seen some of that gruesome footage and it has an impact. One has gone vegetarian, and another is giving it much thought and taking action to cut back on meat. It's not for everyone though. Conversely neither is logic. My ex lived with the logical arguments of veganism for years, and it didnt change her at all. She just felt guilty and split (that wasnt the only reason, but thats a different post). The challenge (or what i thought would be one) of the vegan bodybuilding life is what drew me in, and then the community in the forums hooked me. The other reason I even thought about it was music, several bands I listen to have pro vegan messages. Thats how i heard about veganism. The environmental arguments and somewhat recently the animal rights argument have only served to strengthen why i'm vegan. Those pamphlets from vegan outreach seem to be effective for a wide variety of people.

Peta's "Meet your Meat" worked on me, but I can see how it might not work on everyone. People are very, very skilled at denying the truth and rationalizing insane and barbaric behaviors.

Unfortunately, neither logic nor emotional appeal will work on some people... Most of our race is addicted to blood at the moment, and custom is king. God willing, sanity and compassion will win out.

-Joel

Lots of things were ingrained in society and are not now...it just takes time. Marriage of older men to children was normal all over the world...now in most modern societies it is not...same with the man of the house having complete control of how everything is run in the home...change has to start somewhere and hopefully eventually we'll be a larger percentage of society so it won't look so ingrained in us.